Traverse Forum banner
281 - 300 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had read conjecture that the shuddering was caused by an excess of "something" during assembly at factory. However, I couldn't find the information again and didn't want to post something without verification. Similarly, it referenced flushing the fluid to eliminate the issue. AlisoBob,I am also glad I had my trans flushed--albeit by the dealer and they used Mobil1 for the new fluid-- to remedy my situation. I currently have in excess of 5,000 miles since the last time I felt a shuddering during trans shifting (knock on my wooden head!)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am also awaiting that Mobil 1 confirmation.
If I understand correctly:
@AlisoBob, and @c&wsinbad are both running Mobil 1 with no issues at all?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am also awaiting that Mobil 1 confirmation.
If I understand correctly:
@AlisoBob, and @c&wsinbad are both running Mobil 1 with no issues at all?
Correct on my part. The Mobil1 with anti-shuddering additives was the prescribed fluid replacement when the dealer flushed my transmission at about 3,000 miles. It took several thousand miles before I reached the point that I did not experience ANY shuddering, but I haven't had a shudder out of it in about 5,000 miles.

Reactions: Valtou and AlisoBob

·
Registered
209 Posts
Correct on my part. The Mobil1 with anti-shuddering additives was the prescribed fluid replacement when the dealer flushed my transmission at about 3,000 miles. It took several thousand miles before I reached the point that I did not experience ANY shuddering, but I haven't had a shudder out of it in about 5,000 miles.
This is very encouraging - Thanks !

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
For those new to this thread.... this is the fluid being discussed. It's not "officially" recommended or approved as a fluid for the 9 speed Traverse but some of us are running it, with nothing but good results. It has been approved for other GM transmissions experiencing the same shudder issues.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sidenote but related, I had the TSB flush done on my 8-speed Colorado about a month ago, truck had ~6500 miles and shudder started around the 5k mark. Put another 1k miles on it since and shudder is completely gone. So that new M1 fluid worked as advertised in that application.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
See this big black thing? Thats the filter assembly in the Traverse 6 speed transmission. It's what you would expect to see in a automatic transmission. It is a non serviceable item.

In the new 9 speed, they put allot more hardware in the same sized case, and the filter shrunk as a result. It is also non serviceable..... which is reallllllllly dumb.

This is why we should all keep up on the maintenance.

"The solution to pollution ....is dilution ."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it.....but the math is kinda weird.

Your first post statues you drained 5 quarts out, put in 6, then lost 1.5 setting the fluid level.
This leaves 4.5 quarts.

Then in the second post, you again drained 5 quarts. Where did this extra 0.5 quarts come from?
[/QUOTE
Thanks for all of the info here! I also just did this process also and only got 4.5 quarts? I added 5 and removed the side plug with engine running and level and drained .5 quarts back out? The only thing i could think of was trans temp was 165 at the time. Its only 20 degrees here in upstate NY so hard to get it up to 185! But what I drained out was equal to what i put back in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oliverman880 (great Tractor by the way) Was there a reason you did the Fluid change on your tranny? were you having issues? Or just preventative maintenance and found the info here and decided to try it? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oliverman880 (great Tractor by the way) Was there a reason you did the Fluid change on your tranny? were you having issues? Or just preventative maintenance and found the info here and decided to try it? Thanks
Just did it on recommendation here. Fluid was dark that came out but I understand that is from heat. I have 50000 miles on it so figured it was time. Will do it again and try to get temp up closer to 200

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did it on recommendation here. Fluid was dark that came out but I understand that is from heat. I have 50000 miles on it so figured it was time. Will do it again and try to get temp up closer to 200
Update: I was able to get the temp up to 190 and do a second drain and fill. Ambient temp was much warmer than first time. This time 5.5 quarts drained out. So first time @160 it wasn't hot enough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, did another drain and fill on my '18 HC today. This time, it was just over 1,000 miles from the last drain and fill to this second one. Used the same Valvoline fluid as the first round.

Fluid came out still fresh and cherry colored, definitely not as bad as the factory fill was. But the magnet plug was covered in black sludge and metal, as you can see on the pictures. Had to wipe it three times to get it all off. No large pieces or slivers, but a whole lot of very fine metal particulates, from the looks of it.

I'll leave it alone now, probably won't do another drain and fill for a few years or mileage gets up there some more.

By the way, I did my first drain and fill at about 7,500 and it's now at about 8,510, so it wasn't much mileage on it so far and only about seven to eight months with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: 2021-04-11
2019 Traverse High Country (read up from prior post in the forums - Salvaged at 300 miles, same engine and Trans, live in Houston,TX)
1. Went through the suggested steps for drain and fill with the recommended, ‘unofficial’ Mobile LV ATF HP oil, added the Gold Plug and Fast Relearn at 4K miles - shuddering/stuttering resolved!
2. 13k miles later - experiencing significant and very noticeable shuddering/stuttering again (17,353 miles)!
Note: I did not drain and fill 3 times in the first drain and fill - only twice.
Yesterday I went through the same procedure where I emptied 5.5 quarts of the oil and replaced it with another 5.5 quarts of the same oil and did a fast re-learn and everything is perfect again. Night and day!
It is hard for me to imagine that there is not a cause-and-effect or more to the point damage as a result of the shuddering. I did drive it with the shuddering for about 800 miles until I could actually change the oil again!
I do want to point out after the drain and fill, in order to reprogram the trans with a fast learn I had to drive it until the temperature got to 165°.
This means at this point only the oil was changed and NO reprogram had been performed.
The first 5 minutes I did feel the shuddering though afterwards it was a fluid gear change and behaved normally.
Even though that was the case I still reprogramed the fast learn procedure on the trans.
Because of this it makes me wonder to the extent that the oil itself (for some reason) that it’s viscosity relative to the components in the transmission is changing more rapidly beyond a certain tolerance to produce the shuddering.
I recognize even as suggested that there’s a pilot program to help determine the cause of these shudders/stutters but until then based on the mileage and location of where I live and how I drive I figure after a flush and fill that the trannys certain exposure to moisture along with the heat would still need to be changed every 10k miles (to be safe and avoid potential shudders which cannot be good ultimately for the life of the trans).
Of course I only have 17,000 miles so I haven’t driven a lot and just maybe I’ll only need to do this 30,000 or 40,000 miles once I do this a few times.
I also recognize the different thoughts and opinions on how often oil changes in Engines versus how often oil changes in Transmissions need to occur but considering that there’s no alternative meaning I’m not going to drive a vehicle that shudders all the time.
Instead I am gauging this will be the new norm unless there is something else identified as either a fix or a more robust oil which lasts longer under these unique conditions.
For now it’s been a fantastic transmission I have towed once before for a few thousand miles when it was at 300 miles and it was fine the temperature the transmission was in range and the transition between the gears was fluid.
I am more particular on this issue only because as a salvage title I am not covered so if there are any thoughts about what may come from the bulletin update and potentially needing to get an extended warranty to cover myself or if anyone has a thought about this man covered the safety recall - please share!
Additionally I did take pictures also of the Gold Plug and also saw the grey sludge referenced earlier.
Lastly, I am not recommending this change by any stretch of the imagination though for me considering the read-ups of the Transmission and especially the different oils and additives at different temps and how they perform: I looked at an alternative Tranny Oil to compare. The thing to note and especially In hot humid climate is the viscosity number between Dextron and Amsoil (higher Viscosity which might help the 2-4 gears transition).
Feel free to share you thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Update: 2021-04-11
2019 Traverse High Country (read up from prior post in the forums - Salvaged at 300 miles, same engine and Trans, live in Houston,TX)
1. Went through the suggested steps for drain and fill with the recommended, ‘unofficial’ Mobile LV ATF HP oil, added the Gold Plug and Fast Relearn at 4K miles - shuddering/stuttering resolved!
2. 13k miles later - experiencing significant and very noticeable shuddering/stuttering again (17,353 miles)!
Note: I did not drain and fill 3 times in the first drain and fill - only twice.
Yesterday I went through the same procedure where I emptied 5.5 quarts of the oil and replaced it with another 5.5 quarts of the same oil and did a fast re-learn and everything is perfect again. Night and day!
It is hard for me to imagine that there is not a cause-and-effect or more to the point damage as a result of the shuddering. I did drive it with the shuddering for about 800 miles until I could actually change the oil again!
I do want to point out after the drain and fill, in order to reprogram the trans with a fast learn I had to drive it until the temperature got to 165°.
This means at this point only the oil was changed and NO reprogram had been performed.
The first 5 minutes I did feel the shuddering though afterwards it was a fluid gear change and behaved normally.
Even though that was the case I still reprogramed the fast learn procedure on the trans.
Because of this it makes me wonder to the extent that the oil itself (for some reason) that it’s viscosity relative to the components in the transmission is changing more rapidly beyond a certain tolerance to produce the shuddering.
I recognize even as suggested that there’s a pilot program to help determine the cause of these shudders/stutters but until then based on the mileage and location of where I live and how I drive I figure after a flush and fill that the trannys certain exposure to moisture along with the heat would still need to be changed every 10k miles (to be safe and avoid potential shudders which cannot be good ultimately for the life of the trans).
Of course I only have 17,000 miles so I haven’t driven a lot and just maybe I’ll only need to do this 30,000 or 40,000 miles once I do this a few times.
I also recognize the different thoughts and opinions on how often oil changes in Engines versus how often oil changes in Transmissions need to occur but considering that there’s no alternative meaning I’m not going to drive a vehicle that shudders all the time.
Instead I am gauging this will be the new norm unless there is something else identified as either a fix or a more robust oil which lasts longer under these unique conditions.
For now it’s been a fantastic transmission I have towed once before for a few thousand miles when it was at 300 miles and it was fine the temperature the transmission was in range and the transition between the gears was fluid.
I am more particular on this issue only because as a salvage title I am not covered so if there are any thoughts about what may come from the bulletin update and potentially needing to get an extended warranty to cover myself or if anyone has a thought about this man covered the safety recall - please share!
Additionally I did take pictures also of the Gold Plug and also saw the grey sludge referenced earlier.
Lastly, I am not recommending this change by any stretch of the imagination though for me considering the read-ups of the Transmission and especially the different oils and additives at different temps and how they perform: I looked at an alternative Tranny Oil to compare. The thing to note and especially In hot humid climate is the viscosity number between Dextron and Amsoil (higher Viscosity which might help the 2-4 gears transition).
Feel free to share you thoughts.
Nice writeup. You talk about "transmission fast-learn" - how do you implement this?

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice writeup. You talk about "transmission fast-learn" - how do you implement this?

Thanks
Hopefully others will chime in to verify the following:

I believe "fast learn" is a factory software feature for breaking-in a new transmission; that also allows extra slippage to help burnish the friction materials in the internal clutch packs? If correct; seems to me that doing multiple "fast learns" would also be forcing extra wear (that could potentially shorten tranny life)?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding what goes on during a "fast-learn"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully others will chime in to verify the following:

I believe "fast learn" is a factory software feature for breaking-in a new transmission; that also allows extra slippage to help burnish the friction materials in the internal clutch packs? If correct; seems to me that doing multiple "fast learns" would also be forcing extra wear (that could potentially shorten tranny life)?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding what goes on during a "fast-learn"
I do not know a lot: but after going through a Fast Learn - heck ya - it seems like it would take 6 months of the tranny life because of what it does!
I have a Autel Maxi Elite from which I use the J- connector and connect to GMs software which I have purchased a VIN specific Two year subscription to do most of car specific stuff (plus do keys).
The first time I did a fast learn on the tranny I though entire tranny was going to drop on the ground, it was revving up and doing all sorts of funky things. After I read up in it and now see what that’s the case.
i honestly think part of the issue is the self learning part of the aoftware which might be the problem to this entire 2/3 gear stutter thing....but who knows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I ordered 8 aluminum drain plugs and 8 of the strongest high temp Neodymium magnets I could find. Let me get one together to test it in my car before I ship one to VMech.....

The other 6 will be up for grabs. Cost is pretty cheap.... $10 + shipping.
View attachment 9886
View attachment 9885
AlisoBob,
I know it’s a long shot, but do you still have any of those blue Al plugs? Have you been using the blue plug? Is the magnet holding OK?

·
Registered
13 Posts
AlisoBob,
I know it’s a long shot, but do you still have any of those blue Al plugs? Have you been using the blue plug? Is the magnet holding OK?
Hauler, Have you changed to the Mobil 1 fluid? Any results positive or negative on that?

Also re-reading here... Just curious the gold plugs were not fitting correctly?

I need to do this upgrade also.... Stock at 11K miles on the Tranny.

Running Mobil 1 oil and Amzoil filters on Engine side.

281 - 300 of 339 Posts