Traverse Forum banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
That fluid looks shocking bad for the amount of time / miles.

Wow....

What oil did you use for the refill? Looks like a Valvoline bottle in the background.

When's the next engine oil change due? You might want to drain / refill the transmission again (aka "The Double Dump"). That will swap out about 90% of the fluid.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That fluid looks shocking bad for the amount of time / miles.

Wow....

What oil did you use for the refill? Looks like a Valvoline bottle in the background.

When's the next engine oil change due? You might want to drain / refill the transmission again (aka "The Double Dump"). That will swap out about 90% of the fluid.
The Engine oil change was done yesterday by the dealer. I would do it myself, but it's costlier than the dealer. A 4.73L/5 US Qt. Mobil 1 Synthetic engine oil $57.99 + Single quart is $14.49. An average filter is $18.99. That works out to $91.47. Add the tax (15%) that ends up at $105.19. The dealer charges $74.99.

As for the transmission, I'll run it for a month or so and replace the oil again.

I used the Valvoline that you recommended in your first post. The best price I could find for the Mobil 1 was $118.42 on Amazon Canada.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I can't get over how expensive stuff is in Canada. A friend is paying $50 a sheet for OSB plywood. It's nuts.... Where in Canada are you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia. Yes we have Costco, but they do not offer everything they do in the US.

The Canadian dollar is worth about 70 cents US. Most products made in the US cost Canadians over 30% more just because of the exchange rate.

Not fun sometimes. :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
This week Canadian Tire features 98th Birthday Sale. Mobil 1 5w30 at 50% off . Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter at 40% off. Go grab some.

In Alberta, I paid $13.11 for the oil filter and $30.94 for 4.73L motor oil with the tax & environment fees included. Nova Scotia may be higher because of higher provincial tax. The cabin air filter (FRAM) is the killer. Not on sale and they ask for $35 + environment fees & tax. I am going to wait until they put them on sale. Walmart in the States listed at $13.99 USD.... go figure!

Too bad the border is closed, otherwise I would drive down to Montana to replenish my supplies. Winter is coming so it will not happening this year!

·
Registered
289 Posts
This week Canadian Tire features 98th Birthday Sale. Mobil 1 5w30 at 50% off . Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter at 40% off. Go grab some.

In Alberta, I paid $13.11 for the oil filter and $30.94 for 4.73L motor oil with the tax & environment fees included. Nova Scotia may be higher because of higher provincial tax. The cabin air filter (FRAM) is the killer. Not on sale and they ask for $35 + environment fees & tax. I am going to wait until they put them on sale. Walmart in the States listed at $13.99 USD.... go figure!

Too bad the border is closed, otherwise I would drive down to Montana to replenish my supplies. Winter is coming so it will not happening this year!
I just noticed that in the Canadian Tire website yesterday after the post. I will definitely go grab a few jugs.
Going across the border still adds 30% exchange rate + 6% import taxes.
Unfortunately, for some stuff we just have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Finally got the pics from my fluid change. FYI, this was the original factory fill and only had 7550 miles on it. Also a shot of the fresh cherry colored fluid being poured for comparison.

Got about 250 miles on the fresh fluid now, but might just wait till the next oil change (which should be in another 45 days or so) to swap it all out at the same time, should have about 500 miles or so on the new fluid by that time.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also a shot of the fresh cherry colored fluid being poured for comparison.
Amazing how quickly transmission oil gets dirty. 😲

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Amazing how quickly transmission oil gets dirty. 😲
These are photos of one of my Duramax Allison transmissions. I service them every 50k miles... their spotless.This is true up until the 2018 Duramax. GM made some hardpart and programming changes all in the same of "efficiency" and now the once great Allison 1000 transmission suffers from weird issues like shudder and inconsistent shifting. Whoever is leading the GM Transmission division, needs to go.

·
Registered
289 Posts
These are photos of one of my Duramax Allison transmissions. I service them every 50k miles... their spotless.
Amazing how clean that oil looks. As if it was new.
I wonder if our Traverse oil gets dirty due to lack of a filter. Wasn't you who was going to put a filter in one of the lines?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
221 - 232 of 232 Posts