Traverse Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Update: I could not get the Gold Plug to stop weeping. Finally decided to pull it and see what's going on. Ends up that while IP-01X is the correct pipe thread, it isn't long enough by 1 or 2 threads. I compared it to the OEM, including putting calipers on it to check the major and minor thread diameters at the start and finish of each thread. The Gold Plug stops just short of long enough to work in this transmission. I love the idea of a magnetic plug but this one isn't right for our application.

In this pic I made them so that the thread diameters roughly match up at each cross section.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Ends up that while IP-01X is the correct pipe thread, it isn't long enough by 1 or 2 threads.
I think the plug was mis-manufactured, or the case was tapped too deep at GM. My identical plug only goes about 3/4 of the way in. Anyone else run into the issue Cheng is experiencing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm just sticking with the OEM plug. Last thing I need is an aftermarket one to damage the threads. The Gold Plug already started to damage the first 1/4 of thread. I also don't like that the Gold Plug threads are so sharp, when screwed into aluminum they cut into the female threads. I've designed threaded connections and the Gold Plug has poorly engineered threads. GM did it how they did for a reason.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My Gold Plug is arriving in a week or two. I'll give it a try with Teflon Tape on the threads and see what happens. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I also decided to check my transmission temps. I went for a drive for 30 minutes on the highway. I drove between 110 to 120 km/hr (68 to 75 mph)

My temps never went above 85 C (185 F). It only stayed at 85 C for about 15 to 30 seconds before dropping back to 84 C.

BTW, outside temp was about 25 C ( 77 F).

·
Registered
67 Posts
@G.Frog if I drive 75 to 80 mph on a 75 F day my transmission temps are just like yours. Only way I get them above 200 F is if it's 95+ F, I have the family and luggage, and we are driving big hills at 75 mph. Then it will get to 208 F max. I haven't tried towing yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I sent an email to Gold Plug. They said I should add teflon tape. I then sent the pic I posted here alone with the thread dimensions. No response. I asked again but no response. So much for customer service.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I sent an email to Gold Plug. They said I should add teflon tape. I then sent the pic I posted here alone with the thread dimensions. No response. I asked again but no response. So much for customer service.
Guess they don't like when their standard response doesn't work...

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the record, the OEM plug is holding with not a bit of fluid coming out. I installed it without teflon tape and just snugged up. That proves the Gold Plug was the problem.

One other note is with respect to corrosion. The Gold Plug is a stainless steel and the transmission case is aluminum. Gold Plug doesn't say what kind of stainless steel is used. Some are ok (but still not great) when touching aluminum, others are straight horrible and will result in galvanic corrosion of the aluminum. Galvanic corrosion is a big problem for cars because of all the road salt many of us drive through in the winter. The OEM plug appears to be steel with a galvanized zinc coating and zinc touching most aluminums is about the best case scenario for galvanic corrosion (like the engineers actually knew what they were doing). My point is that everyone should know that they install the a stainless steel plug into an aluminum case at their on risk.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Galvanic corrosion is a big problem for cars because of all the road salt many of us drive through in the winter. My point is that everyone should know that they install the a stainless steel plug into an aluminum case at their on risk.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you think the salt brine is going to wick up into the threads and become the electrolyte for galvanic corrosion, you're insane.
Here's what one of my engineering books has to say....

"Stainless steel fasteners in aluminum plates ,sheets, or castings are normally considered safe, even with no insulation between the metals there should be little to no risk of corrosion. (The teflon tape we are using could be called a "insulator" to lower any risk even more)

The use of aluminum rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion.

When the stainless steel will generate a large corrosion current which will be concentrated onto a small area of sacrificial metal. The aluminum will corrode quickly, and so use of aluminum fasteners in stainless steel is not acceptable. "

·
Registered
2020 High Country
176 Posts
PTFE pipe compound goes on all my pipe thread plugs or fittings in all my vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. .
Teflon tape will also just work just fine on tranny plugs.
2x AB , seal the threads with the right stuff and let not your heart be troubled.

Reactions: dawnpwns and Valtou

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy All - the value in everyones input in for the forum has been tremendous, especially for newbies like me.
To that end I'll continue to update everyone on the status and progress of my 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country 9-Speed Transmission in the HUMID Galveston Texas area (Houston, Texas).
With that said - AlisBob thanks again for sharing your expertise and knowledge.

Update: 2020-09-08 (Read below for background or reference comment #120.)
At 10,250 miles - No shuddering!!!!
I've recognized this vehicle will always have some smaller transmission shuddering but now it's far less than my 2016 Chevy Silverado Trucks which clunks through the gears at times :).
If there is any hint of shuddering it's all low gears in acceleration mode and it's only slight...which from my perspective is NORMAL.
Again, the massive shuddering in the initial diagnostics realm of RPM acceleration and between the 3rd and 4th (5th) gear in Tranny.
Even with lots of rain, high humidity in Galveston, Texas and lots of driving the recommended Tranny Oil from Mobil 1 (123715) Synthetic LV ATF HP Dexron works PERFECTLY in these conditions so far.
This next few weeks I'll continues to add the INLINE Filter (Magnefine 3/8 magnetic filter) to the line to Tranny as well as switch the Transmission Oil again.
I'll provide the next update then and maybe provide Photos and Video to demonstrate what I did.
(It may include my young daughter who's in an automative class who needs the EXPERIENCE :) don't be surprised to see her Cameo :).
Thanks.
----------------------------------
Update: 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country edition - significant shuddering existed at 3,400 miles.
It was purchased in Salt Lake City Utah and was driven to Houston, Texas.
The shuddering began in Houston a few weeks after arriving.
Considering all I've read, it makes sense - a lot more humidity in Houston, Texas.
Meanwhile, I followed all the recommendations in these posts (except the inline filter - waiting on that).
New Trany oil with magnetic screw and all the diff. places changed as well - runs soooo smooth.
I can't believe Chevy missed this one!! Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting scenario with the Plugs:
Note: I have TWO 2019 Chevy Traverses.
1. High Country 9 speed Transmission
2. Front Wheel Drive Premier 8 Speed Transmission.

In both scenarios - the original transmission plug was partially out.
I noticed as well the Gold Plus was shorter and less threads.
Considering the original plug did not go in all the way there was little concern from my end.
I ensured I tightened (not too tight) the Gold Plug in more flush to the Transmission.
NOTE: I have astutely monitored any OIL leak (AKA Transmission leak) on my driveway - none so far.
The concern mentioned above could be true: the 'THREADS' could be slightly off potentially and could explain some of the issue.

But I personally did not experience this scenario!

I think the plug was mis-manufactured, or the case was tapped too deep at GM. My identical plug only goes about 3/4 of the way in. Anyone else run into the issue Cheng is experiencing?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Interesting scenario with the Plugs:
Note: I have TWO 2019 Chevy Traverses.
1. High Country 9 speed Transmission
2. Front Wheel Drive Premier 8 Speed Transmission.

In both scenarios - the original transmission plug was partially out.
I noticed as well the Gold Plus was shorter and less threads.
Considering the original plug did not go in all the way there was little concern from my end.
I ensured I tightened (not too tight) the Gold Plug in more flush to the Transmission.
NOTE: I have astutely monitored any OIL leak (AKA Transmission leak) on my driveway - none so far.
The concern mentioned above could be true: the 'THREADS' could be slightly off potentially and could explain some of the issue.

But I personally did not experience this scenario!
Both have the 9 speed, all 2nd gen Traverses have 9 speeds.

Reactions: Valtou

·
Registered
89 Posts
Update: got the tranny up to 180 or so and sure enough, some fluid came out. Wasn't much but in general, I'm running cooler. Haven't been up on the highway though... That'll be the real test.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I received my Gold Plug a few days ago, so I decided to do the transmission service today.

It has been about 28,000 kms (17,400 miles) since the dealership did the transmission bulletin (replace oil + reprogram) I didn't expect the oil to be too bad but I have been having the occasional hard shift. As you'll see from the pictures, the oil was much darker than the new stuff. It was stinky also. It had a smell like bad celery that has be heated-up.

I did put Teflon Tape on the Gold Plug before putting it in. I didn't measure how much oil came-out. I just added the 6 quarts of Valvoline, went for a short 20 minute drive (city and highway) to warm-up the transmission (79C or 174F). Jacked up front left to remove the wheel and tire, then lowered the jack to level the vehicle. Removed the level plug, about half a quart drained-out I guess. When it stopped dripping, I buttoned-up everything and drove around the subdivision.

I checked the Gold Plug about 3 hours later and it was dry.

I followed @AlisoBob 's instructions and it worked like a charm. Thank you very much AlisoBob for the excellent instructions.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts