Traverse Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any fix on this yet? Our traverse is has the same shuddering changing gears at low speeds. Going back to the dealership next week. Already did the service bulletin which did nothing. Any updates are appreciated
Mike
Yes, ours is fixed after replacing torque converter, now it's smooth as butter, shifts nice, not a single shudder on any gears. Drove about 20k after replacement already, so far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2019 Traverse Redline has approximately 7500 miles on it. We are currently on spring break, approx 1500 miles away from home and the transmission has started to noticeably stutter/hesitate while shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 while under what I would call “normal” acceleration. Obviously being very concerned about the safety of driving 6 of us around in this vehicle, I took the Traverse into a local Chevy dealer yesterday and spent 4 hours waiting. They experienced the same stutter while driving it. They contacted GM and ended up doing a transmission flush and reprogram, which did nothing to solve the problem, and in my opinion, only made it more noticeable. They advised me to drive the vehicle back home (another 1500 miles) and take it back to the dealer I purchased it at, where “Chevy engineering will want to tear the transmission apart to understand what went wrong and likely replace the torque converter and valve body.” Excuse me? A 7 month old vehicle with a rebuilt transmission? I have a call in to Chevy customer support and am waiting for a call back. This is going to get interesting.
Ours is a 2019 RS and is going into the shop Wednesday for the same issue, curious if they diagnose with same problem, also leaving for spring break in 10 days!

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a follow-up, we had the fluid changed and tranny reprogrammed as I mentioned in my previous post @ 20k miles. We've driven 6k miles and the shuddering has been gone completely. Very interesting that some have said the shuddering came back until the torque converter was replaced. We'll see on ours!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just got home from a 3k road trip and felt the shuddering after getting off the interstate and accelerating from a stop. Did it again in our neighborhood. Wife said she felt it several days ago but thought it was just rough pavement. will drive another couple days to determine factors that cause me to feel it, then time for the dealer to begin working the issue.

As a note, I had a similar issue with 2012 Camaro with 3.6L engine (LFX). It required replacement of torque converter to eliminate the issue--which was common on that year of Camaros with the LFX. Now wondering if there is a common component in the 3.6L V6 torque converters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh my goodness what a blessing to have this information.
I am not a mechanic but LOVE to tinker as a mechanic - enthusiast. :) And as you'll see, I sometimes learn the hard way.
I'll share my findings as I go along my journey as well and outside of my questions being answered I'm hopeful this post my help others.
History: In the past few months I've purchased TWO Salvaged 2019 Chevy Traverses.
The first vehicle, a 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country Edition with a 9-speed transmission, was a mechanical front end collision with 346 miles on it. It was completely fixed/restored with nothing done to either the Transmission or Engine. I drove it without issue from Utah (Salt Lake City) to Texas (Houston).
At roughly 3,200 miles the shuddering began. We're now at 4,500 miles on the odometer and it's very noticeable between the 20-45 mph in 3rd-4th gear!
If I accelerate really fast it vanishes but if it's a slow acceleration the shuddering is painfully obvious even to passengers!
Since it's a Salvaged Vehicle it doesn't always get the coverage a new vehicle gets (warranty wise) and I bear the brunt of mosts costs...so you can imagine what I was feeling after this all occurred :). It was a shot in the gut since, from what I've learned, generally when there's shuddering is the TTC - Transmission Torque Converter.
Initially towed a cargo trailer behind the vehicle from Salt Lake City to Houston and thought the tranny needed to be reprogrammed.
Since I do have an Autel Maxisys Elite I did reprogram a fast learn for the transmission (as well as updated all the other modules in the vehicle).
But that was not the issue! Initially the Traverse operated more smoothly but still noticeable for the first few days but then the shuddering returned as strong as it was before.
After reading all the posts yesterday I was encouraged!
I ordered the magnetic Gold Plug as well as the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP oil and will be replacing it as soon as I get the oil.
Now the second vehicle, a 2019 Chevy Traverse Premiere with a 8-speed Transmission, I purchased from an auction site as FLOODED SALVAGED VEHICLE and picked up locally in Houston. It sat for several months (about 6 months) before I picked it up.
I'm new to all this and naive in the process of auction buying (which is a good and a bad thing).
Once I got the vehicle I completely gutted the inside, cleaned it, and replace all the old components and modules that needed it and reprogrammed them to the VIN through GMs TDS website (ACDelco TDS). I rebuilt the starter (since rust built up) and tested it.
It's been a bit harder to diagnose and figure things out since I don't have a manual or not manual is available for these newer vehicles. Somehow I'm slowly figuring things out.
Now, when I try and start the vehicle, it pauses then the electronics turn on as if it started but it doesn't turn over.
I can turn the crank shaft pulley so I'm still trying to figure out why it's not turning over.
I haven't put all the seats back in the vehicle which means all the SIDE AIRBAGS are out and maybe that's the problem of why it's not starting - but I doubt it.
All or any waters in the engine was removed and thoroughly cleaned and the engine put back together.
So now I'm wondering if it's the TTC - Transmission Torque Converter and it being rusted. I did drain the fluid and put the original ACDELCO DEX VI in the transmission (before I knew better).
Anyhow - I need to know why it's not even turning over. Any thoughts or next steps for diagnosis? I have the original key and it works so I've ruled out a security issue (but I could be wrong).

A few additional questions:
1. Referencing the Bulletin No: 18-NA-355 why has the Chevrolet Traverse not been added to this?
2. Outside of the Transmission oil replaced: what other places where mentioned to change the transmission oil? Rear Differential and where else? Is that an easy do?
3. If this is an issue, especially if the vehicle is under warranty, why would GM not be servicing this vehicles without a fee? Should they be doing it for free?
4. For the 2019 Chevy Traverse Premiere - I'd want to replace this Transmission oil as well with the Mobile 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP?
5. When I change the Transmission oil first from the 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country - would any of you recommend that I reprogram fast learn on the Transmission since I have the tool or is it not really needed?
A long post I know but thanks for any help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My Traverse is back in the dealership's service department; the shuddering diminished after they replaced fluid with Mobil 1 ATF with anti-shudder additives and seemed to go away after approximately 200 miles of driving (as directed by TSB.) However, we now have approximately 1500 miles since the fluid change and the shuddering is coming back. It's not as severe or as frequent as it was previously, but just enough to remind us that it's still there. Service manager stated it will require some driving on their part in order to duplicate, then they will pull transmission and most likely change the torque converter. They've had it four days; about time for me to call for a status update.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Talked with the service writer this afternoon. They have not been able to duplicate the shuddering--but they recognize that it is intermittent. They want to keep it additional days and continue to drive/attempt to get it to shudder for them; I'm willing to let them do that. In my opinion, they are trying to verify the shuddering so they can correct it once and forever! I prefer that to the canned answer of, "Can not duplicate" and return the vehicle without corrective action. If it comes to that, at least I'll know they tried. And I'll continue with routine transmission fluid changes to keep "anti-shuddering" additives fresh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2019 High Country had a similar stutter around 8,000 km, dealership first changed the transmission oil, then did a bulletin software update and changed the oil one more time. So far at 17,000 Km problem has not returned.

·
Registered
298 Posts
JLS.... can you please find out the exact fluid that the dealer used to refill the transmission with? Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
JLS--When I went through this with my Traverse, I had to talk with the Service Manager at the dealership to determine what transmission fluid they used when refilling. The TSB specifies a specific brand and type. AlisoBob is attempting to track what is used in order to determine if Chevrolet (GM) is informally changing their fluid requirements. (AlisoBob--not trying to put words in your mouth; please correct if I have mis-stated.)

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Checked on a website that purports to list GM parts and both fluids listed come up as "fluid". Next time I go in for an oil change I will make further inquiries.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Next time I go in for an oil change I will make further inquiries.
"PIP" stands for "Preliminary Information Bulletin".... I'll try to run this down.
As far as the fluid, show them this photo to see if its what they used. It's used in other GM shudder campaigns, but not "officially" used in the Traverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2019 Traverse Redline has approximately 7500 miles on it. We are currently on spring break, approx 1500 miles away from home and the transmission has started to noticeably stutter/hesitate while shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 while under what I would call “normal” acceleration. Obviously being very concerned about the safety of driving 6 of us around in this vehicle, I took the Traverse into a local Chevy dealer yesterday and spent 4 hours waiting. They experienced the same stutter while driving it. They contacted GM and ended up doing a transmission flush and reprogram, which did nothing to solve the problem, and in my opinion, only made it more noticeable. They advised me to drive the vehicle back home (another 1500 miles) and take it back to the dealer I purchased it at, where “Chevy engineering will want to tear the transmission apart to understand what went wrong and likely replace the torque converter and valve body.” Excuse me? A 7 month old vehicle with a rebuilt transmission? I have a call in to Chevy customer support and am waiting for a call back. This is going to get interesting.
Wife has 19 traverse. I started noticing the stutter shifting at low speeds just before our destination. On the trip from Ohio to Florida I noticed trans temp running 210deg during our night driving at 80mph in 9th gear. It did downshift when going up a hill and was making a really loud drone. We hit Florida border and outside temps are 100deg trans temp is hitting 217deg. I slowed from 80 to 70 temps dropped to 210. I hope we make it back home so I can take it in. Anyone have a clue what good trans temps are? Also traverse did great otherwise. 25mpg doing 80mph with 2 adults 4 small children and all our crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has 19 traverse. I started noticing the stutter shifting at low speeds just before our destination. On the trip from Ohio to Florida I noticed trans temp running 210deg during our night driving at 80mph in 9th gear. It did downshift when going up a hill and was making a really loud drone. We hit Florida border and outside temps are 100deg trans temp is hitting 217deg. I slowed from 80 to 70 temps dropped to 210. I hope we make it back home so I can take it in. Anyone have a clue what good trans temps are? Also traverse did great otherwise. 25mpg doing 80mph with 2 adults 4 small children and all our crap.
Same with us yesterday driving on the interstate, temps were @ 207 degrees and outside temperature of 82. 4 of us empty noticed hard shift from park to reverse sitting still not moving, and 2nd to 3rd not as hard. Took cap off since it has no dipstick and color is very brown. 2018 with only 27,000 miles on it.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts