Traverse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Traverse Transmission Stutter

We have a 2018 Traverse we bought in May, 2018. We first experienced the stutter on a trip from PA to MI in November, 2018. We brought it to the dealer we bought it from who ultimately did a transmission fluid flush as directed by a GM service bulletin. My wife is the primary driver and does not use the vehicle a lot. I drove it this Summer from PA to NC and found the stutter to be not only still there but worse than before. As such, it's back at the dealer now. I am an experienced driver who has driven cars with a wide variety of ability and issues. This stutter is not something to take lightly. When it happens, it feels like you are a moment away from failure. I would be interested to hear how those who had the torque converter replacement fared. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 2019 Traverse Redline has approximately 7500 miles on it. We are currently on spring break, approx 1500 miles away from home and the transmission has started to noticeably stutter/hesitate while shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 while under what I would call “normal” acceleration. Obviously being very concerned about the safety of driving 6 of us around in this vehicle, I took the Traverse into a local Chevy dealer yesterday and spent 4 hours waiting. They experienced the same stutter while driving it. They contacted GM and ended up doing a transmission flush and reprogram, which did nothing to solve the problem, and in my opinion, only made it more noticeable. They advised me to drive the vehicle back home (another 1500 miles) and take it back to the dealer I purchased it at, where “Chevy engineering will want to tear the transmission apart to understand what went wrong and likely replace the torque converter and valve body.” Excuse me? A 7 month old vehicle with a rebuilt transmission? I have a call in to Chevy customer support and am waiting for a call back. This is going to get interesting.
Our 2018 Redline with 21,000mi started doing the SAME EXACT THING this weekend. Is it truly related to the "adaptive programming" of the transmission or is it more due to a faulty torque converter? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine had that software and oil flush update done around 15k, that made it much better but can still notice a little bit of shudder under normal driving and much more if I'm pulling trailer or excelerating up the hill. After driving another 10k it didn't get any better, actually I think it's getting worse. Brought it back in to the dealer, they checked it and told needs new torque converter....

·
Registered
5 Posts
How severe/noticeable is this in others' vehicles? Mine is subtle. The Dealer updated TCM software, tech declared test drove fine, but it's exactly the same. Can't get it back in for another week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 2018 Redline with 20,000 miles was at the dealership yesterday and we were told this is becoming a very common issue as apparently the transmission fluid GM used isn't all that compatible with these new 9-spd trannys. Here's the official write up and "repair" procedure:

"Bulletin 18NA-091, as per bulletin, reprogrammed. Set-up trans control module, and serviced fluid. Give at least 200 miles before evacuation per bulletin. Seemed to fix immediately, Reprogramming code 18YN25761211."

It doesn't shudder between 1-4th gears anymore, so hopefully it stays that way. Apparently we really are GM's beta testers, haha. I guess its the price we pay (on top of the $45k) for getting 27mpg in a full-sized SUV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on mine. Second trip to dealer in two weeks. They still say they can't replicate. I admit it's subtle, and told them they need to get service writers out from behind the desk and go for a ride which they are not interested in doing or are to busy to do so when I've dropped it off. It seems if there isn't a code, they won't acknowledge that anything could possibly be wrong with it. This time, they mentioned a bulletin for a flush and new additive for the fluid. I have my doubts this will solve the issue, but I will let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer found the same bulletin referenced by modernmetal above, for me it also has resolved the symptoms, at least for the time being. My dealer explained some sort of additive in the factory fill that is causing the problem due to an interaction with a coating on the tranny internals. I have my doubts this is a long term solution, but I will update the thread if anything changes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP Torque Converter

Irl4512, any updates on the new Torque Converter? We have a 2019 High Country and began having the same issues as everyone here at 7k after a road trip. Dealer did the flush and messed with the computer codes like others here. For about 1,000 miles we seemed to be all fixed, but it came right back. Thinking about going back to the dealer and having them look into replacing the Torque Converter. Let us know how yours has held up since please!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Upadte on my 2018 transmission shudder. Most prevalent from dead stop and worst in third gear. Dealer went to replace torque converter and found it stiff to turn. Torque converter housing had large grooves in it as well as the pump washer and pump shaft. Ended up replacing converter housing and converter, pump, and both valve body halves. Seems ok for now at 8400k miles.
Update - now at 11k miles after the replacements and currently performs with no reoccurrence of the previous shuddering/stuttering issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the Transmission stutter on my 18 Premier starting just under 10K miles. Took it to a local dealer and gave them TSB 18NA-091. They changed the transmission fluid with the one the Gen 2 cars need and also had to reprogram the transmission system. The service manager gave us a fairly in depth account of all the steps they had to go through to do all of this. He also said that the transmission had to re learn my driving style and as the main driver I should be the only one to drive it for 4-5 days. So far I haven't had any problems.

With the transmission at least...still waiting for the parts for the Shift to Park issue & yesterday I had 2 alerts come up one was Forward Collision Alert Off (I checked on my settings-it is not off) & Service Front Camera. Time to search more forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission Shudder

Great thread here! I have been noticing a slight shudder while driving around town for the past few weeks. Was wondering if it was the pavement or the car that caused this feeling. I drove from Rochester, NY to The Villages, Fl last week and really noticed the transmission shudder described. I went to the local dealer here and they mentioned a fluid change should take care of the problem. When I picked up the Traverse later they said it just needed a software update. I have only driven short trips so far and noticed the slight shudder so far. I am driving a greater distance tomorrow and I'll see if that makes it worse. I was looking at the transmission temperatures on my trip south and they were around 175 degrees. I will monitor the transmission temperature and see if that makes the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Drove to Winter Park today with mostly highway miles. When I got off the expressway and took off from the traffic light the Traverse had a much more pronounced shudder. Transmission temperature was 180 degrees. I will be contacting local Chevy dealer on Monday for second attempt to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 is doing the exact same thing you all are discussing. Every time I've taken it to the dealer (two dealer's / two different States) either the problem doesn't present itself at that time or isn't pronounced enough for the transmission tech to buy off on the issue to affect repairs. issue started at about 7k miles and continues to do it @24k. I've even brought up the TSB's (PIP5226B / 17-NA-066 / PIP5546B / PIP5546C / PIP5546A / 18NA-121 / 17-NA-317). so unless its a significant shudder they won't do anything about it. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2018 LT did the same thing (see my previous posts). Drove to Fl trans temp was aground 190 deg F and at 7K miles the issue at dead stop/start shuddering started. Had the trans fluid changed and the computer reset. Dealer said to drive 200 mi but no improvement. Drove back to midwest dealer (they are very qualified) looked at the tranny and had to replace torque converter, pump and TCM body halves. Now at 12K with no reoccurring issues as of today 10/30/19
Keep posting In my case the computer reset and driver learning curve did nothing to solve the long term problem before hand.
Keep posting updates.
hoffersnsp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here, changing oil and software did not fix anything long term. Now after they replaced torque converter already got few thousands km on it all nice and smooth. Though, after repair, I did notice vibration in the engine at idle at red light for example, told dealer they say nothing wrong, but I'm pretty sure did not feel engine running before at stop, now I do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2019 Traverse Redline has approximately 7500 miles on it. We are currently on spring break, approx 1500 miles away from home and the transmission has started to noticeably stutter/hesitate while shifting between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 while under what I would call “normal” acceleration. Obviously being very concerned about the safety of driving 6 of us around in this vehicle, I took the Traverse into a local Chevy dealer yesterday and spent 4 hours waiting. They experienced the same stutter while driving it. They contacted GM and ended up doing a transmission flush and reprogram, which did nothing to solve the problem, and in my opinion, only made it more noticeable. They advised me to drive the vehicle back home (another 1500 miles) and take it back to the dealer I purchased it at, where “Chevy engineering will want to tear the transmission apart to understand what went wrong and likely replace the torque converter and valve body.” Excuse me? A 7 month old vehicle with a rebuilt transmission? I have a call in to Chevy customer support and am waiting for a call back. This is going to get interesting.
Any fix on this yet? Our traverse is has the same shuddering changing gears at low speeds. Going back to the dealership next week. Already did the service bulletin which did nothing. Any updates are appreciated
Mike

41 - 60 of 79 Posts