Traverse Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sometimes you get an education sitting in the car waiting for the wife to finish shopping. May have discovered where many of the small chips on the side panels originate. Worker in a lawn tractor was riding around in a strip mall parking lot with one of those gas powered blowers"sweeping" all the dust and dirt against and under parked cars in the lot toward the grass island areas, peppering them with pebbles and other debris.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
They do the same here. Weeds trimmers flying the craps all over near the cars, same with the commercials companies shooting the grass sideways. No win situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Traverse, Cajun Red Tint Coat

There is a problem with this paint. It is constantly getting the color chipped off, and the white sealer shows. The other Traverses I have seen in parking lots, have no chips. I am going to have the paint thickness checked. This is ho g wash ! A paint tech, at a dealership, insinuated that I was driving too fast behind trucks. My car will look like a pizza faced kid, by the end of summer.:mad:
I'm having the same problem. 2019 Cajun red. I traded in a 2010 Traverse with 160k that had less chips than this does in 6 months.
Tim H Mn
I own a 2019 Traverse AWD LT and absolutely love everything about it....it's the Chevy red with grey leather interior and is a real looker.
I have owned it since Nov 5, 2018 and have only one complaint.....I have 20 tiny rock chips in front....and it's maddening. I have lived in this part of the country Minn/Wisc for 65 years, and have never seen a paint chip as quickly as this.... AND once it chips it goes down to the white undercoat.

I can appreciate winters, sand, and salt etc....but its over the top....I wax and religiously take care of all my vehicles...but the whole idea of lightening up on truck for CAFE standards is a bit nuts....I just have to keep my touch up paint handy and change the white dots to red.....it's too bad cause everything else is an A+ but come on for 42K you'd thing it would be better than that....

End of Rant..... lol
You should be upset. 2019 Cajun red Traverse 6 months old and same problem. We traded in our 2010 Traverse which was in excellent condition and had less chips than this new one . Totally pissed.
Tim H Mn

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dbaker1946> Rust bubbles under the paint is never a good sign. The only way to not makes them getting worse is to sand the spots and repaint . If you have a lots it is better to bring your Traverse to a body shop and they will take care of the problem before it will start perforation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a Cajun red 2018 and have the same problem. We did add a bug deflector and it still doesn’t help. It really is terrible. I wonder if part of it is the aerodynamics of the front end. My MIL has a new Suburu and has the same issue with her vehicle. It truly drives me crazy. The windshield is pitted too and my husband takes back roads and doesn’t tailgate due to this very reason, but the CT winters are not kind to this vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why couldn't I have found this forum before purchasing my 2019 Cajun Red Traverse in November. 5 months & 4K miles of ownership and the front of the car looks like I chase Boston Sand and Gravel trucks. The Warranty Recall button needs to be PRESSED!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I spoke with a Chevrolet. They confirmed the Cajun red is water based. Also told me to take the vehicle into the dealership to have them look at the issues with the paint. Not sure where it will go, but I recommend everyone contact them and do the same. Maybe if they see enough of the same compliant it will lead to a recall.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah....good luck with that. They're not gonna "recall" the paint because of wear & tear from elements outside of their control (i.e. rocks/debris on the road) from when YOU were driving

If you wanted your paint to be/stay perfect, you should've installed some PPF on the front

I do understand though because my wife daily drives her Traverse downtown to Detroit, on the freeway, and it gets chipped up too. But that's just how it is, unless you want to spend the money on PPF or just leave it as a garage queen
That's just reality

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a white 2019 Traverse and it chips paint all the time!! And instead of having a white under coat it has a grey undercoat! 🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s so frustrating I’ve never had a vehicle chip paint like this!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 white redline with gray undercoat. The paint chips are unacceptable. My last 5 cars have been brand new and I owned each for 4-5 years...all different makes with no noticeable chips on any of them. My 1 year old Traverse has about 20 paint chips on the hood plus several on the sides and looks absolutely horrible. I drive very safely, NEVER tailgate because I have kids and it terrifies me, have 12k miles, and rarely go on the highway. There are new chips all the time and the paint is incredibly thin...and I do not recall anything “hitting” my car. Sure, there are elements out on the road, but this does not happen to other vehicles...I constantly check other hoods! I even checked another white Traverse today, and yes...paint chips there too! This is my first, and I would never buy another Chevrolet and regret this one mostly due to this, but also a few other quality issues. I can’t imagine how this will affect resale value after a few more years. Chevy needs to stand behind their quality and make it right for everyone. This is not normal and should not be happening to so many people during every day use for such an expensive vehicle!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Do you have a hood bugs deflector to help . Small stones are thrown often not when you follow a vehicle but when another vehicle is coming from the other direction. Trucks are the main culprit. This is why when there is a DUMP TRUCK coming I move to the right as far as I can. They are the worst ones to stay away from and to throw stones coming from the quarries.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 2019 in dark brown metallic. I too have some paint chips that expose bright white primer. Worse yet I had a bird poop on the hood and it totally crazed the paint. I have had probably 12 different cars in the same drive and never had this happen. Contacted Chevy and they just dragged me on and on for about 4-months chasing me to three different dealers. They told me they would take care of me at least 4 times and reversed their decision every time. Ugh - my blood pressure is rising thinking about it. Anyway I did end up purchasing a bug deflector and applied some ceramic type wax that is supposed to be better at protecting the finish than the wax I was using.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well....options:
1. Park the car, don't drive it & put it in a bubble
2. Put some PPF (paint protection film) on the areas that see abuse right away when you buy it (like the bumper, front edge of the hood, mirror covers, etc.)
3. Realize it's a DD and just live with it, since it really is unavoidable

I've had a 2018 & a 2020 Traverse, and have had the same chips/results unfortunately. It's the wife's DD, and just a lease, so we choose option #3

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you think the Traverse paint is bad drive a Subaru. They are worse. Even taking it through a carwash will cause faint swirl lines in the paint.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
All the new paints are water based now. Not like the good old days.

Reactions: snobrdrdan
21 - 38 of 38 Posts