Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2019 Traverse AWD LT and absolutely love everything about it....it's the Chevy red with grey leather interior and is a real looker.
I have owned it since Nov 5, 2018 and have only one complaint.....I have 20 tiny rock chips in front....and it's maddening. I have lived in this part of the country Minn/Wisc for 65 years, and have never seen a paint chip as quickly as this.... AND once it chips it goes down to the white undercoat.

I can appreciate winters, sand, and salt etc....but its over the top....I wax and religiously take care of all my vehicles...but the whole idea of lightening up on truck for CAFE standards is a bit nuts....I just have to keep my touch up paint handy and change the white dots to red.....it's too bad cause everything else is an A+ but come on for 42K you'd thing it would be better than that....

End of Rant..... lol

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Tony. Have you been thinking about installing a bug deflector on the front of the hood. It help a lot to reduce these little paint chips caused by the oncoming vehicules specially the big ones like dump trucks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Don't want chips on the hood? Either install a bug deflector or keep a safe distance. Rock hits weren't from a driver's tires but from other vehicles he was following too closely. or vehicles he shouldn't have been following at all.

Rocks and pebbles launched by the tires of vehicles ahead follow the laws of projectile motion unless stopped by effective mud flaps. Follow at 2 sec. behind or otherwise at a safe distance and you'll be out of range and your hood won't get "peppered".

Ditto goes for what you are following. I don't religiously take care of my vehicles' finishes - two washes and waxes per year if they are lucky. With over 3 years on the '16 truck with 60 mph State road as the main thoroughfare and not a single chip on the hood or on the '18's in the 6 months before installing a bug deflector (for bugs).

If found following a concrete truck, gravel truck or semi with worn or sailing mud flaps I always change lanes or drop back out of range until the car behind pulls up and I pull over and let him pass to become my rock (or smell) shield. Same goes for high clearance vehicles like farm equipment with huge tires, Jeeps and similar vehicles without mud flaps and with knobby rock launchers tire and other vehicles where the owner installs tires extending past the wheel wells. And by doing this, I've had no windshield starbursts either!!

Actually it is amazing how many routinely tailgate even when you're at or slightly over the speed limit. Was always fun when driving the unmarked (on the rear) service vehicle on the Belt Pkwy in B'klyn/Queens. Morons would routinely tailgate 10' off your rear bumper to "speed you up or move you over" even when already traveling over the speed limit. What a hoot it was to toe the left wheels on the narrow strip along the guard rail and kick up every piece of crap, rocks, pebbles, cigarette butts, dirt, etc. so the moron behind is traveling in a cloud of crap and dust until mustering enough brains to drop back! Too stupid to take a hint ...and it was Earl Scheib time for him.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blame the EPA. Paint quality just isn't what it used to be....

I need to get Xpel on the front of my 2019 ASAP.

Best decision I made. We have had that on 3 out of the last 4 vehicles we've bought. Really wish I had done it on our MDX. Hood is potmarked all over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Traverse, Cajun Red Tint Coat

There is a problem with this paint. It is constantly getting the color chipped off, and the white sealer shows. The other Traverses I have seen in parking lots, have no chips. I am going to have the paint thickness checked. This is ho g wash ! A paint tech, at a dealership, insinuated that I was driving too fast behind trucks. My car will look like a pizza faced kid, by the end of summer.:mad:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There is no doubt the finish is crap compared to the old technology acrylic enamel baked on finishes using a volatile petrochemical vehicle for spray application.

Not a big deal.....this is the price we pay for not having a dead planet in 12 years.....oops.....now must be down to 11 years 10 months and counting, just like as predicted in the 70s we saved the residents of sea level NYC from being under two feet of water by 1999, and just like the US saved the ozone layer by dropping $0.79/lb R12/R22 freon in favor of then $3.00/lb R134a to seal the ozone hole, and now on all drivers of '18+ vehicles once again are helping to avoid global catastrophe by ridding us of the demon $1.50/lb R134a in favor of the new flammable/explosive R1234yf (check your hood label).....and hold on to your hats '18+ owners because even at bargain Amazon rates the crap is going for upwards of $90/lb.....and also be prepared to kiss your a$$ goodbye should a refrigerant line rupture in an accident and the R1234yf ignite!

So, chipping paint for even the slightest insult is the price we pay for greed under the guise of saving the Earth. No more expensive, time consuming acrylic enamel finish. Now a robot sprays a few microns thick electrostatically charged colored powder onto the body, which is melted and then finishes of with a water based clear coat that is little harder than Jello to "protect" the color coat below......no expensive time consuming compounding or polishing is necessary for finishing. Fragile as it is this crap doesn't spontaneously chip.....it chips for a reason and when traveling 60+ mph with a you don't need a bolder sized particle spun off a rear tire at similar speed in the opposite direction toward you to cause a chip when impacting your crap "paint" job at 120 mph.

It is unfair when you get a more durable paint job on a Tonka toy truck than a $50K+ Traverse. Similarly it's the tailgaters lament......but, the bottom line is you can be proactive and use a bug deflector, or a bra, or high impact film or other protective coating OR just use common sense in avoiding situations which increase the likelihood of getting paint chips or windshield starbursts. ......As crappy as these finishes are, these chips do not spontaneously generate, they are caused by a sharp high speed impact and most of the time you'll even never hear the impact of the tiny stone that knocks off a chip. Draft a truck now and cry later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2019 Traverse Cajun Red. I get the perils of tailgating and I do live in Massachusetts (not known for great roads). But this has chips EVERYWHERE. Not just the hood (yes, I got a hood deflector). There are some on the right rear quarter panel above the wheel. The day I picked it up it had a chip on the driver's door just below the window. I did get the dealer to fix that chip. I don't notice them on my brother-in-laws '18 Traverse but his is not red.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This is why many owners decide to buy a lighter color like white for exemple so the chip will not create a large contrast like dark red. Black etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
This is why many owners decide to buy a lighter color like white for exemple so the chip will not create a large contrast like dark red. Black etc.

White IS the definitely the best for not showing scratches, and had black which is hands down the worst. Problem is not the paint but the Jello hard clear coat.........any scratch into the clear coat turns white, looking worst against darker colors. On shallow scratches a little anti-scratch or polishing compound can remove some of the clear coat to get past the bottom of the scratch but get too aggressive and go below the clear coat and you'll burn into or through the vapor thin layer of color coat to the primer and it is game over.

The $1000 tri coat white or whatever they call it option seems more durable because it is thicker. Proper touchup requires a base coat of Summit white, then the OEM GM touchup which is like a milky snot with microscopic glitter, and followed by a "protective" clear coat. Seems without the white basecoat to give the 3D effect the repair will never match or blend, no matter how many layers of OEM milky snot touchup applied.

The $300 Siren Red Tintcoat (or whatever they call it now) option I had on my '15 Traverse is not a tri layer and touchup can be done without a red base coat. Just as with the '18, hood deflector and running boards helped to prevent chips. I might have had one or two chips on the side panels, none that I remember....in fact the unopened bottle of touchup was left in the glovebox when traded. And side chips do not spontaneously generate either......my above same rule for semis and other stone throwers apply when passing them close in an adjacent lane, but my "rules" extend to care in other situations like avoiding A-holes mowing their grass with the side grass deflectors removed blowing small stones against passing cars, ditto with road workers jack-hammering and blowing chips (a loud pulsing horn usually gets their attention making them stops for a sec to look up while you pass).

And it pays to be more than a little crazy when parking to avoid chips and scratches: like never park near a pothole in the street; park at the far end of a busy parking lot and not next to a grassy curb where inevitably it will be lawn cutting day and the contractors will be running heavy equipment without guards and it's either chips or scratches; avoid parking under large trees where squirrels have fun bouncing acorns off your hood and roof - squirrels had a ball doing it onto my '74 Impala when parked under my dad's oak tree but there were no chips because it had a thick coat of Earth-killing baked on volatile solvent applied acrylic enamel lead based paint.........If I had the '18 Traverse it would have sported more chip freckles than Howdy Doody's face.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the same problem with my 2019 Traverse Cajun Red. I get the perils of tailgating and I do live in Massachusetts (not known for great roads). But this has chips EVERYWHERE. Not just the hood (yes, I got a hood deflector). There are some on the right rear quarter panel above the wheel. The day I picked it up it had a chip on the driver's door just below the window. I did get the dealer to fix that chip. I don't notice them on my brother-in-laws '18 Traverse but his is not red.
Sorry to hear your experiences, but it's exactly the same as mine. While some quickly jumped on me for tailgating 10' behind sand trucks ...that's just not it. I bought the touch up pen and simply cover them as I see them....I plan on a deflector of some sort, but it's a shame, because I absolutely love the color of Cajun red .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tony, I can relate. I love everything about my 2018 High Country Traverse, but the paint is garbage. The chipping for me is not just on the hood but on the sides and rims of the doors (that face the rear). I’ve never owned a car that chipped quite like this under the first year of ownership. The chipping is much like peeling shell chips off a boiled egg. I have a bra that I use for long journeys but that’s not a suitable fix for me. Chevy needs to warranty this issue. I’m hoping for a paint recall, they’ve already had some on other vehicles. I have the pearl white color which makes me even angrier that I had to pay more for and it’s a more difficult color to match. I use the touch up paint, but that looks like garbage. Hoping for an update on the paint at some point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issues with my 2019 Traverse. I appreciate the comments regarding bug deflectors. However, there is no way that rocks or pebbles can be causing these. There are no chips on my grill, lights, or windshield, so I have no idea as to how these pebbles can strike my hood on the flat part without hitting something else first ... this is maddening. There are also no indentation marks from anything falling straight down onto to the hood.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mike: very often these little stones are flying in the air and are landing on the hood instead than on the front grill. They rebound and you wont even notice it. I noticed this on my other vehicles and found small chips on the hood but nowhere else. Same on the sides. A passing vehicule beside yours can throw a stone Sideway from their tires and chip your sides. The best way to be stoneless is to keep the car in the garage all the times but the reason we buy them in to use them on the road.In city driving there is no problem but the real problem is highway travelling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts