Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our Traverse in late December.
So after 6 months of tweaks I decided it was time to share a few photos.
From these photos; can you identify the 7 visible "tweaks" I have made ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like your rims.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I like your rims.
,02 Other changes:

Black bowties front and rear.
Blackout grille

Chrome Traverse doors and hatch, and LT hatch badges removed and passenger side black AWD badge from a Premier Redline installed on the driver side of the hatch. Personally I would have substituted all black Traverse badges available on the internet so it is not confused with a Ford Explorer or Hyundai Palisade:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-OEM-2018-2019-Black-Chevy-Traverse-Badge-Emblem-Set-84449229/113802042938?epid=18029025128&hash=item1a7f215e3a:g:OboAAOSwkTVdGABs

In my opinion, one improvement is the substitution of black Redline window surround trim over the stock chrome trim. The latter always seemed unbalanced to me because there is no matching chrome trim on the third row window surround (which also annoyed me on my short lived previous '15 toaster shaped Honda Pilot) .

Roof rail is solid black instead of 50/50 black/chrome which is stock on a '19, wasn't on an '18.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thomcat ,

Good eye!

Yep I decided that chrome window trim had to go. Rather than replacing it - I used black Plasti-dip (did this on my Chevy Volt 2 years ago and it is proving to be quite durable). Also used the Plasti-Dip to black out the smaller horizontal grill ribs.

Thanks for the link for the black badges - still toying with that idea.

Other tweaks:
Weather tech mudflaps,
I installed the invisible bra on the leading edge of the hood, mirrors, and trailing edges of doors.
Also replaced the chrome tailgate applique with the Black Ice chrome applique from Chevy.
And went with the LED replacement fog-light bulbs per your previous recommendation - BTW an excellent upgrade.
Also spent all weekend prepping the paint and applying a ceramic coating.

Next Up:
Replace the front door speakers (I have a non-Bose system)
I'm still undecided on installing weather tech window vent shades?
Possibly tinting the front driver/passenger windows too match the rear windows?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Capucine,

Thanks! I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to go this route (with the 1" wider "enhanced offset" Chevy Colorado Rims, and possibly shortening wheel bearing life).

Also switched out the stock Bridgestone 255x65R 18" tires (actually a very nice tire) for Michelin All-Season Defenders 275X60R 18". Overall diameter almost identical to the original Bridgestones. So I'm putting almost an additional 1" rubber on the road on each corner, and no clearance issues at all.

According to Tire Rack, the Michelin Defenders are rated a bit higher in every category than the Bridgestones ?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Missed the black chrome on the hatch, should have noticed the contrast between the chrome bowtie frame and black chrome applique.

Dark Weathertech rain visors look good as does their hood big deflector.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thomcat ,

Good eye!

Yep I decided that chrome window trim had to go. Rather than replacing it - I used black Plasti-dip (did this on my Chevy Volt 2 years ago and it is proving to be quite durable). Also used the Plasti-Dip to black out the smaller horizontal grill ribs.

Thanks for the link for the black badges - still toying with that idea.

Other tweaks:
Weather tech mudflaps,
I installed the invisible bra on the leading edge of the hood, mirrors, and trailing edges of doors.
Also replaced the chrome tailgate applique with the Black Ice chrome applique from Chevy.
And went with the LED replacement fog-light bulbs per your previous recommendation - BTW an excellent upgrade.
Also spent all weekend prepping the paint and applying a ceramic coating.

Next Up:
Replace the front door speakers (I have a non-Bose system)
I'm still undecided on installing weather tech window vent shades?
Possibly tinting the front driver/passenger windows too match the rear windows?

Very nice cuzed2! What speakers did you put in the front doors. Was it a challenge to replace them?

The jury is still out for me on my Weathertech side window deflectors. Like the ability to vent the car even when it's raining and crack the windows open when it sits in the parking lot but I don't like the wind noise they generate - seems to happen with heavy side wind.

Thanks
Mike

Missed the black chrome on the hatch, should have noticed the contrast between the chrome bowtie frame and black chrome applique.

Dark Weathertech rain visors look good as does their hood big deflector.

Hood deflectors are new to me. I see Weathertech has two types of protectors - stone/bug deflector and hood protector. The hood protector looks much more appealing to the eye but functionally do you think it's as effective as the deflector? Plus looks like the protector attaches to the top of the hood with double sided tape - not sure I'm a fan of this????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@mbg,

I think the stone/bug hood deflector (the rigid molded plastic version that attaches with double sided tape) would be the very best protection. What I went with is a very thick "flexible" transparent 3M urethane film that is "almost invisible", takes a lot of patience to install, but does not detract from the body design in any way.

Your comment about the weather tech side window deflectors adding wind noise is what has me hesitating.

As for replacing the front door speakers - Crutchfield and others have lots of 6x9" (2 and 3 way) choices under $100. I'm hoping to get some specific recommendations from others on the what they have done?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think the Colorado rims look great!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the Colorado rims look great!
Thanks!
I still have my factory OE wheel/tire set up stored away until Fall, I'm undecided if:

1) I will run the factory originals as my winter setup,
2) sell the original wheels and tires (<1k miles), and run with what is on the vehicle now as my year round set-up?
3) put a set of "Blizzaks" on the original wheels for winter

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks!
I still have my factory OE wheel/tire set up stored away until Fall, I'm undecided if:

1) I will run the factory originals as my winter setup,
2) sell the original wheels and tires (<1k miles), and run with what is on the vehicle now as my year round set-up?
3) put a set of "Blizzaks" on the original wheels for winter
I have always kept my factory wheels and run them in the winter. You could powdercoat them to give your Traverse a different winter look.

In MD I've never bought dedicated winter tires, I'd like to but the budget has never allowed for it. If yours does, I'd look that route.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cintocrunch,

On my commuter car - a Chevy Volt, I run Blizzaks on plan steel wheels for the winter.
Makes a big difference on that small light vehicle.

With the larger AWD Traverse with ground clearance - the difference may not be as great?

From your signature file above:
Some nice rides you have there - I'm jealous ;-)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Cintocrunch,

On my commuter car - a Chevy Volt, I run Blizzaks on plan steel wheels for the winter.
Makes a big difference on that small light vehicle.

With the larger AWD Traverse with ground clearance - the difference may not be as great?

From your signature file above:
Some nice rides you have there - I'm jealous ;-)
I was very impressed with how the Traverse performed in its first winter with me... I much prefer the heavier steering to the Pilot's very light steering that makes you feel like you never have traction.

The only thing I'd say is any all season on any AWD system will NEVER be as good as snow tires, so you will probably feel like it's awful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not bad great job. This is my 2014 Traverse w/ custom KMC 20” wheels. I had American Tire called KMC. they said they wouldn’t fit my Traverse because of wheel setup. I asked the guy if you put my Traverse offset into your wheel machine is it possible to make these wheels. Yes sir it is. Me: Stamp them out and I don’t five a 🐀 ass about the price. When will the be here🤣😂👍🏿

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up our Traverse in late December.
So after 6 months of tweaks I decided it was time to share a few photos.
From these photos; can you identify the 7 visible "tweaks" I have made ?
How do you like the weathertech mud flaps? About to pull the trigger on them and the mats. Pretty reasonable price compared to huskyliners and Chevrolet options.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm very happy with the weather-tech mud flaps, installation was a breeze, no drilling as they used factory bolt locations for the inner fender-well.
With my slightly wider wheel/tire combo they offered just enough extra protection.

I cannot comment on weather-tech mats for this vehicle as it came with a surprisingly decent set of optional factory all-weather mats for the entire floor area.
However; I have had very good luck with weather tech mats for my other vehicles

1 - 20 of 24 Posts