Traverse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe my post is more appropriate in this section? The silence is deafening over in the general section. Thanks if you can help me out!

Hi Folks. I'm contemplating my next car purchase and the Traverse keeps popping back up as a possible choice between the Toyota Highlander and Subaru Ascent. Each of course has it's pluses and minuses and I'm struggling between them. Perhaps you can answer or comment on the following items, providing insight that will help me.

2019 Traverse Ground Clearance: Can't find that figure anywhere. I'm in Maine, snow is deep and my driveway is a half-mile long, it's important.

Resale Value: I've compared my current 2014 Touring Odyssey value to a 2014 loaded Traverse and Highlander. (Cant compare the Ascent as it's a new model). I wanted to get an idea of what I'll have when I'm ready to move on. The Traverse tanks in this area at $19,000. The Highlander Limited is $25,000 and the Highlander Hybrid is $27,000. HUGE difference. I'm struggling with the idea of passing up on hugely better resale value. I'm used to getting top dollar either by trade or private sale. The idea of losing out by going with a Chevy gives me much angst. From past past experience and what I'm seeing - American car quality, reliability and resale simply don't appear to compare to Japanese made cars.

Honda is not in the running for me this round as the quality just isn't there in my Odyssey and it appears the Pilot is no better so I'm not considering it.

Speaking of reliability: Toyota wins, hands down. It appears there are potential issues with the 2019 Traverse transmission? Electrical? Rear Diff? I don't want those headaches and I simply don't have time for them.

Subaru has that awesome reliable AWD. But is has the dreaded CVT transmission that makes me run for hills.

The Traverse and Ascent have apple car-play. The Highlander has a sub-par awful Entune. Surely it's just a gizmo, but a gizmo I find I use ALOT in my summer convertible. But my wallet keeps reminding me...resale, resale, Hylander, Hylander! 2019 Hylander Platinum has some issues with voice navigation and the Traverse has a great radio and nav system. But my wallet....

Space: The Traverse wins here, no doubt. The Hylander 3rd row is definitely lacking and likely not usable by my teen and pre-teen kids. I'm back there sometimes in the Odyssey depending on our outing and if Grandma tags along. Likely only possible in the Ascent and Traverse.

Does it bother anyone that the 2019 rearview mirror is extra dark when not using the rear-camera view? Just something I saw in a you-tube review.

How is visibility in the Traverse? I believe the Ascent wins here. The rear isn't all tapered like most new cars are these days. It might not be swanky, but sure is better for the driver.

I thank you for any and all opinion, encouragement that you care to share.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Gm vehicules resale value is very poor compared to european cars. Even a Kia has a much better resale value. You can say the same for Chrysler and Ford ( poor resale value) . Go to a Gm dealer to exchange your Gm vehicule for a new one and the amount they offer you is ridiculous.As soon as you leave their lot with your new toy you can deduct almost $10,000

1 - 3 of 3 Posts