Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It amazes me that I can drive a 7 passenger vehicle 80 miles a day for work and average over 28 mpg each way.

When I include driving around town, it brings my overall average down to just under 23 mpg... Which I still find pretty impressive.

A little over 3 months of ownership and 6,000 miles on the odometer, I have yet to be disappointed in anything about my Traverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is that highway - must be for 40 miles each way. My 2019 is only about 6-months old and I get about 23 MPG with work and in town driving but noticed in the winter even with little AWD it drops to 19 MPG. I'm still super impressed. My Malibu was 23.5 and Suburban 13. Also, have you checked your calculated MPG to actual? On every car I've owned with this feature it's always good by 5-10%.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 60 of the 80 miles are highway. AWD definitely affects the mpg, as does the colder weather. I'm noticing as it is warming up a bit here in Chicagoland, that the mpg is improving along with it.

My Lexus RX300 was only getting 19mpg at best driving to and from work, so I'm quite happy with this improvement.

I have not checked it manually yet. Maybe once Girl Scout cookie season is over and I regain my sanity and some time, I'll try doing that. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 2019 LT AWD has only about 2K miles, and although my mileage is not yet as good as what is mentioned by the OP; I am still very happy.

First highway trip (with only 400 miles on the odometer) returned 23.5 mpg at an average speed of 80 mph.
Suburban stoplight driving is coming in about 19mpg

I suspect the above numbers may improve as the vehicle becomes "broken-in" and the weather starts warming up?

Side-note previous vehicle as an '08 AWD Equinox
This traverse with 50% more power and ~50% more size; is getting slightly better mileage than the previous Equiniox
How can I not be happy (and much more comfortable) !!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you keep your speed lower than 80 mph you will see drastic improvement. High speed uses a lot more gas to fight the head wind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My typical speeds on the highway to/from work are 70-80 mph. I have found that as the vehicle has gotten more miles on it, there's been some improvement in the mpg. An even bigger improvement has come along since the weather finally got above 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm hopeful that this will greatly benefit us on our vacation driving down to Florida at the end of May.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My typical speeds on the highway to/from work are 70-80 mph. I have found that as the vehicle has gotten more miles on it, there's been some improvement in the mpg. An even bigger improvement has come along since the weather finally got above 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm hopeful that this will greatly benefit us on our vacation driving down to Florida at the end of May.
Curious to see how your Traverse does on a long road trip? Where are you driving from?

We are driving down to Florida from Iowa in July.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious to see how your Traverse does on a long road trip? Where are you driving from?

We are driving down to Florida from Iowa in July.

We are driving from the Chicago suburbs (10 min from WI border) to Sanibel Island, FL at the end of May; coming back June 2nd. It's 1,376 miles one way. We made the trek 2 years ago in my RX300 with 3 kids (3, 5 and 7) with no air conditioning because it went bust. THAT was miserable. We'll be traveling in style this year. haha No headrest monitors this time though... but I'm thinking we can make an extra cell phone into a mobile hot spot and bring a laptop for them to watch shows on. It's a long drive for kiddos.

My RX was only averaging 19mpg by the time I retired it from having to drive me back and forth to work anymore. Hubby drives it around town now with the kids, so it's probably getting worse than that now. I'm over the moon about the mpg my Traverse is getting. :smile:

Reactions: tdirlmeierSS

·
Registered
6 Posts

Second that. When new, my 2019 premier was averaging around 21 in mixed (mostly freeway) driving, now with 1700 miles the mpg is up to 24.
Amazed with technology as my 2013 Lexus rx350 hovers around 19 in similar driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts

We just returned from spring break at the Gulf Shores in Alabama. Drove from Iowa & we averaged 26.7/mpg with a fully packed car on our 2300 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts

Variation in mpg affected by the Gov't mandated less polluting (read that as less mpg) Winter blends. Greater mpg increases once the car is broken in and moving parts mated/seated. Also as mileage increases past certain set points in the controlling algorithm, the software programming evolves. For example many engines have a break-in cycle that kicks up the engine rpm for a certain number of miles to offset the increased friction in the green engine - as the engine breaks in and the mileage set point is passed, the rpm will drop to compensate. The 9 spd. software contains a similar for subroutine for break-in period (mine was about 3K) with increased slippage for smoother engagement for proper surfacing/mating of its unique lower gear Sprag clutch surfaces. Combine this with other subroutines built into the software that affect the refill times for the servos as they learn the driving characteristics of the driver and hopefully you end up with something that gives you and Gov't CAFE standard the best mileage possible with the least intrusive quirks to get there.

That's likely the basis for the dealers' flush and software reprogram procedure for jerky tranny complaints. Won't have any affect if there is a true mechanical defect in engine/tranny sensors or components, but if jerkyness was the result of completion of the break-in cycle, poor driving habits affecting learning of shift points, oversensitivity to the more manual tranny feel of the new design a software reload should make it respond like out of the box (for about the same amount of time).

So given the above.....should be, the more miles you drive it the better the mileage. At 9K miles running on the original 8/18 software programming I was able to ave. 30 mpg in 2WD on a 350 mi. straight flat run to the Jersey shore (including a few 0-60 in 6+ sec. blasts exiting toll booths).

Reactions: mswebraven

·
Registered
4 Posts
2-1/2 month old 2019 awd lt3 with 7,500 miles and my mpg averages above 25 at 75 mph.
mpg dropped to average of 15 towing a utility trailer and goldwing to daytona bike week approx. 2,400 miles total.
highway miles were in 2wd while stop and go was in trailer mode.
Very satisfied with the mpg.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Difficult to get good mpg while towing a trailer. Was your trailer closed or opened? I know that when you pull a travel trailer with a almost square frontal the milleage suffer a lot. Can achieve better with a Full size Silverado than a Traverse . .

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Your milleage is almost the same as my 2017. Not bad considering the weight of the Traverse. It is when you hook up a travel trailer behind that you see a drastic fuel reduction specially when you are close to your pulling limit. It tells us that a pick up truck is more the way to go than a Traverse.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts