Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Planning some exhaust work on the 2019 and wondered if anyone here could tell me what the two pods are that are immediately in front of the 2-in / 1-out muffler?
I have an idea but thought someone might know for sure.

Thanks,
Eddie
0001.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have also been underneath my 19 and have been pondering some exhaust work. Curious what you are thinking ?
I too thought some kind of secondary converter. The main converters are pretty much directly underneath the engine and look to have two O2 sensors, one on the inbound side and one on the outbound side. As far as I can tell no wiring and/or sensors on the two pods in question. Last night after she had sit for several hours, the muffler was cold, the primary converters were still very warm and the two pods were somewhere in between as far as temps go. The dealer parts diagram show the two main converters separate of course, then the assembly with the muffler and two pods. Not sure exactly...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After sitting roughly 30 minutes, my infrared temp gauge told me the muffler was at 100 degrees, the front converter was at 125 degrees & the mystery pods also at 125 degrees. Maybe they are converters..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Don't know if there is any similarity in the exhaust systems, but the 3.6 in my Camaro has (on each side--dual exhaust from factory) O2 sensor, Catalytic converter, 2nd O2 sensor, resonator, and then muffler at the rear. Is there any possibility this is a resonator?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if there is any similarity in the exhaust systems, but the 3.6 in my Camaro has (on each side--dual exhaust from factory) O2 sensor, Catalytic converter, 2nd O2 sensor, resonator, and then muffler at the rear. Is there any possibility this is a resonator?
What I'm calling resonators are at the tail end of my Traverse, just before the exhaust tips. The GM parts description calls them mufflers, but then they also call the mid pipe assembly a muffler as well. So anything's possible I guess. It possibly has four converters, three mufflers, etc, etc....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have also been underneath my 19 and have been pondering some exhaust work. Curious what you are thinking ?
Not sure if you meant what was I thinking the pods were or what kind of exhaust work I was contemplating. How about you, what kind of exhaust work you thinking about ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was curious what exhaust changes you were contemplating?
I was pondering 2 different changes:

1) Replacing that two into one muffler with straight pipe, or
2) Eliminating the 2 resonators near the rear bumper. There are several "you tubers" who have done just that and have managed to retain the OEM exhaust tips

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was pondering 2 different changes:

1) Replacing that two into one muffler with straight pipe, or
2) Eliminating the 2 resonators near the rear bumper. There are several "you tubers" who have done just that and have managed to retain the OEM exhaust tips

Very good, glad to see a few of us here like to mod !!
I'm planning a Stage 1 this long holiday weekend and Stage 2 depending on how Stage 1 works out.

Stage 1 - Cut the rear resonators off, replace with SS tube and reuse stock exhaust tips. Have everything ready to go - car lift, sawzall, mig welder and SS tube. Don't anticipate any issues.

Stage 2 - Replace stock 2 in/1 out muffler with a SS Borla unit 2 in/2 out. Run true duals to the back and weld in to the stock tubing going up and over the rear axle.

I'll post up some pics after Stage 1 is done this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious how stage 1 of your exhaust project turned out?
Turned out good. An all day job Saturday, had to take it slow because I didn't have any extra exhaust parts so a lot of measuring and fitting before any cutting and welding. I did get a ten second sound byte of the original exhaust note, but haven't driven it other than off the lift, so the "after" sound byte will be another day or two. I'll post them both together soon. Here's a few pics, more when I post the sound clips. Oh, I extended the exhaust tips out just a little farther than stock, to me they were tucked up underneath the rear bumper a little too much..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey looks great - nice workmanship.
How did you get the bends in the stainless tubes that replaced the resonators?
Thanks. Here's a shot of the pieces I used. I know the 45 degree SS elbows came from ebay, have to look but probably the couplers/reducers did too. This is before I trimmed some of the pieces to size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curious to hear how that sounds
I'll catch an "after" soundbyte this weekend which I'll post. I've driven it approximately 100 miles since I completed this job and two things are very apparent - one good, one bad. First the bad - exhaust drone inside at highway cruising speed is unacceptable. I've ordered more tubing to fabricate a helmholtz type resonator for dealing with this issue. The good - my mpg has definitely risen although I can't say how much. I'll have hard numbers next time I top off the fuel tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ed999,

Thanks for this update - will be interested to hear the differences both audible and MPG.
Sorry to hear the exhaust drone has become an issue. One would think the ANC built into the vehicle would help to minimize this issue..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hanks for this update - will be interested to hear the differences both audible and MPG.
Sorry to hear the exhaust drone has become an issue. One would think the ANC built into the vehicle would help to minimize this issue..

Hey cuzed2,
Just a little bump in the road, hopefully nothing too difficult to correct. Guess there will be a Stage 1.5 to my exhaust job coming up very shortly. Haven't really been outside the Traverse with it doing anything other than idling. I'm guessing that the exhaust note is not going to be exactly what I was hoping for. Inside sounds a bit Fast & Furious if you know what I mean. My two goals were one - a desirable exhaust note and two - better mpg. I thought a bit of added performance wouldn't hurt either, but so far have not been disappointed in the V6's acceleration so that aspect didn't factor in too much. This is my first V6, so not really sure what kind of exhaust note I can achieve, but guess I'll find out eventually. Wouldn't be surprised if I have to complete my Stage 2 before it sounds better, even then no guarantees. I've always suffered from the "can't leave well enough alone" syndrome.

No shock that the oem resonator is the size of an small suitcase..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts