Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Traverse is about 8 months old with around 8,000 miles. This vehicle is still new to me so don't know if I have an issue or not but last night with the radio off, all the windows closed, and with engine idling I could hear a rotary mechanical noise. Don't remember hearing this before. I popped the hood and noise seemed to be from top of engine.

Anyone else have this? Is this normal?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Most likely the High pressure fuel pump.
Though I have not listened to a 2019- the Gen 1s, people were always worried about that tick tick tick- that was very audible in the front- even more so- with hood open.
Noise came from the top end.
If you revved it- noise went away- or drowned out by the engine noise.

But most of the time it was the high pressure fuel pump

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I don't hear anything on my '18 other than the occasional tick, tick of the fuel pump regulator. In fact, multiple fuel pumps on the AWD gen2s where the saddle bag shaped fuel tank straddling the rear wheel drive shaft requires fuel shifting from one storage side to the fuel feed side.

But a rotary mechanical noise like a spinning motor could be the auxiliary vacuum booster pump for the power brake unit. Many engines e.g. Ford/GM cannot provide sufficient vacuum reserve for operation of all brake related functions at all times under all motor condition, e.g. prolonged anti-skid application, where vacuum reserve may not be adequate so the use and electric pump to supplement vacuum. The 70's era Fords used a sealed empty metal 16 oz. "soup can" to supplement their power booster and vacuum operated HVAC controls, reservoir now replaced with a high tech $50 -$100 electric vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
To those who also have Silverados/Sierras.....just received a notice yesterday from GM extending the warranty to 6 years on their mechanical auxiliary vacuum booster pumps for the power brakes for numerous brake assist failures....a good thing Traverses use electric booster pumps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't hear anything on my '18 other than the occasional tick, tick of the fuel pump regulator. In fact, multiple fuel pumps on the AWD gen2s where the saddle bag shaped fuel tank straddling the rear wheel drive shaft requires fuel shifting from one storage side to the fuel feed side.

But a rotary mechanical noise like a spinning motor could be the auxiliary vacuum booster pump for the power brake unit. Many engines e.g. Ford/GM cannot provide sufficient vacuum reserve for operation of all brake related functions at all times under all motor condition, e.g. prolonged anti-skid application, where vacuum reserve may not be adequate so the use and electric pump to supplement vacuum. The 70's era Fords used a sealed empty metal 16 oz. "soup can" to supplement their power booster and vacuum operated HVAC controls, reservoir now replaced with a high tech $50 -$100 electric vacuum pump.
So my noise is common/normal?

(Dawned on me last night that I've started to disengage auto-start-stop so that may be the reason I'm noticing the noise now.)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
So my noise is common/normal?

(Dawned on me last night that I've started to disengage auto-start-stop so that may be the reason I'm noticing the noise now.)

Likely a normal noise if the vacuum assist pump, especially on startup when under testing and getting vacuum reserve to spec. Ditto for the gas tank vacuum pump which tests for air leak integrity on startup (if located in the engine compartment on the '19s. Too much crap going on under the hood to a specific rotary noise like on a a motor or pump as being a fault or defect; scraping, knocking, grinding. hissing, rubbing, tearing, screeching, clanking, etc are some of the noises to be concerned about.

Depends what you mean by disengaging auto stop....if using L9 on startup or something else. If shifting to L9, should make no difference in noise or introduce related noises. .If you disconnected something to try to trick the ECU into disengaging the system, or installed some type of aftermarket defeat gizmo - no idea what other ECU controlled systems may be affected - might disengage the start stop but may have some unforeseen, unintended or undesirable consequence. If concerned, it's easy enough to test, simply re-engage start stop and see if the noise disappears

Here's my rule of thumb with noises, take it for what it is worth.......If I can't hear the noise with the hood shut.....it ain't there......if it doesn't get worse, it's normal.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
To those who also have Silverados/Sierras.....just received a notice yesterday from GM extending the warranty to 6 years on their mechanical auxiliary vacuum booster pumps for the power brakes for numerous brake assist failures....a good thing Traverses use electric booster pumps.
I've got a 2016 3/4 ton, 6.0L. Does the extended warranty apply? I haven't gotten any notification.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've got a 2016 3/4 ton, 6.0L. Does the extended warranty apply? I haven't gotten any notification.

I would guess yes, if you have a vacuum operated braking system. I know that in the past some of the larger trucks used a hydro boost system mostly on diesels and you'd have two high pressure steel lines feeding the vacuum booster instead of one vacuum hose.

Received it yesterday

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it into the dealer for another issue and had them check this out and they said this is noise from the high pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it into the dealer for another issue and had them check this out and they said this is noise from the high pressure fuel pump.
I tried diagnosing this noise further. My car was cold and after start up no noise, but, then after about 2-minutes it appears like something switched it on. I turned off the car and started again and once again no noise until about 2-minutes.

I'm somewhat relieved that it might be something like a fuel pump as the dealer suggested and not a major engine issue, but, going back to the service department because this noise does not seem normal to me at all.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same noise Mike. I'm not too concerned. Last week, did a long drive in 4 days covering 5,000 kilometers with no issues.
Yesterday I mentioned my noise to a co-worker. He has a fairly new Impala and has the same noise!

Maybe it's common but doesn't sound normal to me - or at least not a noise the passengers of a mid-six-figure vehicle should be exposed to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts