Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 is coming up on 20,000 miles and I wanted to do the differentials at that mileage. The manual doesn't include information about the differential oil, when to change it or what to use. Did I miss it in the book or is it in some other place? It's one thing to say it doesn't need changing (which would be insane) but quite another to not even mention the fluid type. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
Same stuff you use in your transfer case. 75-90w full synth. gear oil.
Not listed in the severe schedule? I'll have to look at mine now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's one thing to say it doesn't need changing (which would be insane)
For awhile, BMW was into a "Lifetime Fluid" deal for coolant, transmission, and diff fluids as some kind of marketing gimmick.

That didn't work out real well......

·
Registered
521 Posts
For awhile, BMW was into a "Lifetime Fluid" deal for coolant, transmission, and diff fluids as some kind of marketing gimmick.

That didn't work out real well......
Sure it did. The fluids lasted through warranty period just fine, and after that the owner would be cursing owning a BMW out of warranty for the rest of his lifetime.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another helpful DIY thread. Are there and special tools required to add/pump the new oil into the diffs in these confined spaces?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Another Question:
Do these GEN2 rear diff's need any supplemental fluid (thinking of the old days when limited-slip posi-traction units needing the special "whale sperm" additive) ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm ticked that GM didn't at least list the fluid specs or the volume. So 75w-90 full synthetic for both diff and transfer case? I've never had a transfer case take gear oil but I've only ever dealt with one. How much will I need for the rear diff and transfer case?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Another Question:
Do these GEN2 rear diff's need any supplemental fluid (thinking of the old days when limited-slip posi-traction units needing the special "whale sperm" additive) ?
No, as long as you buy the correct AC part number, or fluid compatible with it, it will have the additive necessary. Most fluid does have it, and is usually labeled LS or has it noted on the container. If you have an open diff, the additive isn't going to hurt anything. The only differentials that don't like the additive is lockers, such as the G80 on the trucks as it causes chatter and prevents the locker from locking.

Reactions: cuzed2

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A coworker's father works at a Chevy dealer. He looked up the fluids for my Traverse. The differential is full synthetic 75w90. The transfer case does NOT take 75w90. Per GM's system it takes AC Delco Transfer Case Oil (88900402). You can easily get it on Amazon.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That stuff used to be purple, and now it's more of a blue. Don't know if the product changed, or just the color. What color do you have?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
AutoTrak fluid is what my old '99 Yukon used. My Tahoe uses DexVI and my Equinox had the grape smelling 75-90w in it's T case from the factory. I'm gonna have see what's in my Traverse manual.
Nothing like playing musical fluids....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@AlisoBob I haven't drained mine so don't know the color. From what I've read it is blue (often called Smurf blood) and doesn't have an official alternative.

@repairman54 my manual didn't say a thing about the transfer case fluid, which is why I had to have a dealer look it up with my VIN.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That TX fluid, is thin like ATF.... Please notice the consistency of the fluid you pull out. Is it thin like ATF, or thicker like 75w/ 90 ?
I've watched a few online videos and in every case it looks like 75w/90 coming out.
I called my GM buddy, and he said the Stabilitrak fluid is for TX cases containing clutch material and chain drive. The Traverse AWD TX case is strictly mechanical.
He sent this clip to me of what goes wrong in a Lambada chassis TX case..... the ring gear wearing out.
I told him of the high strength magnet I assembled. He thought that would really help these units.

He's a diesel mechanic, but he said he would ask the gasser guys what they are using to service the TX case....

·
Registered
2020 High Country
414 Posts
Equinox T case is full time AWD, no clutch in it, that's why it uses gear oil. Traverse has clutch's that's why the AutoTrac fluid is specified. My Tahoe has clutch's also and it uses DexVI in though.
AutoTrac is a blue fluid as I've got a qt. in the garage. Leftover from my '99 Yukon that specified in it's T case.
I think my '20 has a electronic locker in the rear diff. , will have to dig into that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts