Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Traverse back in October and I've brought it back 8 times for the same issue. The Car Randomly makes a very loud humming noise. Chevy or the dealer has not even tried to fix it. The most they've done was take the roof racks off which is ridiculous! It's in the drive line. MY wife and i are filling out the lemon law papers for it. I've Chevys my whole life through the same dealer but never again.
Rob

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Would it be an acoustic humming noise that you hear at a specific speed? Maybe from the exhaust system?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a new Traverse back in October and I've brought it back 8 times for the same issue. The Car Randomly makes a very loud humming noise. Chevy or the dealer has not even tried to fix it. The most they've done was take the roof racks off which is ridiculous! It's in the drive line. MY wife and i are filling out the lemon law papers for it. I've Chevys my whole life through the same dealer but never again.
Rob
Might benefit others if you would give the trim line you have, dealer bought and when, and the mileage-any other conditions you notice the humming noise

How has this problem resolved itself

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Specific speed, specific gear, specific road surface wet or dry, temperature related, while accelerating or decelerating, worse with windows up or down, A/C on or off, start up/warming up?? Could be a wheel bearing at specific speeds, engine related if gear dependent, a bad engine accessory like a water pump at a specific rpm range, a vacuum pump, or even a hum in the radio.

Wasting the dealer's time unless either he can duplicate or owner can provide with specifics relative to creating the hum. If it ain't humming when they test it as per the owner provided info - it's not humming.

Wasting the owner's time if they try to pursue a lemon law complaint. "Random" and "hum" with no specifics, will get you nothing and a waste of time in a lemon law claim. And after 8 visits nothing in dealer satisfaction either unless they are able to reproduce it or at least specifics relative to its"random" appearance. If the dealer was worried in the slightest about a lemon law complaint or lawsuit he would have had GM field rep present before the last repetitive visit for the same repair required by the State (brochures routinely included with new car owners manual package - most are 3+ strikes for failure to repair the same complaint) before owner being able to pursue a valid lemon law complaint for reimbursement by GM.

Reactions: gsxr1300x

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you can record the humming noise that you hear sometimes they will be able to start on something to do. It can be difficult to record when you are alone but one of your passenger can record it on his phone while you drive.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It is a good thing to help buyers that you have but we dont have in Canada. It would have been very good for me in 1972 with one of my car that caused me so much headake and in the first week of ownership it went to the garage for almost a month for differential issues that the garage never fixed it properly. Each tine I was releasing the gas pedal in a down hill there was a very bad roaring sound from the differential. At the end I was stuck to live with it because the garage was refusing to do anymore work on this differential. I finally bought a used differential from a car that caught fire but only 12K on the odometer. I did the job myself on a brand new car can you imagine. It was perfect after.

Reactions: Grandpa

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Traverse we just purchased about a month ago and has the same problem. It as a Premier with the 6 cylinder engine with only about 1,800 miles on it. We noticed it on a trip this past weekend on the highway. It did it when the truck downshifted from 9th gear to 8th gear at highway speeds around 65 to 75 mph. It did it only at certain times, as it didn't make the noise all the time in 8th gear. I also think I noticed it do it at lower speeds in lower gears, but not sure which gear at time. It is a humming noise.

I watched voltage and transmission temp, and no changes to them when the humming occurs. It did it in both 2WD and AWD.

I am confused, as it seems to be gear dependent, but not always. Maybe it is a clutch that is not engaging all the way? I have not called dealership yet on it, but will soon. I like the idea of recording it like someone mentioned in an above post, so will have to do that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kinda reminds me of my last Chevrolet, a 1971 Corvette bought new with many problems. The dealer's repair guys all had the same statement in response to the problem: "They all do that".

It did get worse as the two years of ownership went on: all the belts would come off at once, timing chain broke at gas station restart, oil filled up the radio, steering wheel would not stay upright ($2 part, but the dealer could not get the other two dozen parts back together and replaced the whole column, could not be driven at all in the rain (rear end slip and slide even after many alignments and tire changes), one rear axle broke setting the brake / hub on fire...

Sold it once the repair costs equaled the initial purchase price.

The new Traverse should be in a whole different class now that robots build the cars with some precision.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Kinda reminds me of my last Chevrolet, a 1971 Corvette bought new with many problems. The dealer's repair guys all had the same statement in response to the problem: "They all do that".

It did get worse as the two years of ownership went on: all the belts would come off at once, timing chain broke at gas station restart, oil filled up the radio, steering wheel would not stay upright ($2 part, but the dealer could not get the other two dozen parts back together and replaced the whole column, could not be driven at all in the rain (rear end slip and slide even after many alignments and tire changes), one rear axle broke setting the brake / hub on fire...

Sold it once the repair costs equaled the initial purchase price.

The new Traverse should be in a whole different class now that robots build the cars with some precision.
You're lucky it was only money. In the mid 70's one of my co-workers had the rear axle on his Vette break doing 35 mph and totaled it smashing into a pillar and catching fire on the Williamsburg Bridge - out of work for almost a year, plate in his head and took dozens of plastic surgery operations to make him look half way decent but still badly scarred. If I remember there was a known problem with many of that era Vette axles, maybe even a recall and he sued and recovered damages from GM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my case, that little 1 inch diameter short shaft was not able to handle the big 454. Dealer said it was a common failure.

I've owned over 30 cars, but two dozen have been Japanese manufactured and no weird intermittent electrical problems like the Pontiacs and Buicks and Chevys and Audi had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure the humming isn’t just noise from your tires? I have noticed the tires on my brand new 18 Premier are pretty loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My guess is that it is exhaust resonance under certain load conditions.......not too hard to imagine with dual exhaust manifolds from each bank of a V engine combining through a "Y" pipe connected to the engine with a flex fitting, feeding into a single muffler then expanding through another "Y" pipe to two exhaust resonators/finishers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 3LT 2018 Traverse. It happens while my vehicle shits gears and I'm needing more power to get up hills.. I talked to the service tech at my local dealer and he told me that it could be the transmission learning how I drive as I've only got 659 miles.... But the only time it happens is when I'm going uphill and after the vehicle downshifts so I'm thinking it has something to do with either my transmission or the drivetrain... Gonna have to duplicate the sound for the tech... It's definitely not a normal thing!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Can't judge final engine or tranny performance at under 1K, especially when operating under load going uphill. An engine not yet broken in will tend to lug when under load and the noise could be normal exhaust resonance. Engines being "broken-in" by turning for a few minutes on the assembly line is a lot of nonsense. Parts are not seated and worn in properly until all accessories are installed subjected to load, and cylinders are operated under combustion pressures to seat the rings.

After a few thousand miles the engine and vehicle will be peppier as parts mate in friction is reduced and rings seat properly in the lands and mate properly woith the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Loud Hum

I have been experiencing the same loud hum that a couple others described. It only does it while on longer trips (more than 30 minutes) and while at speed and under load. I have narrowed it down that it happens when it is in 8th gear at 2200 RPM. I encounter this while on the freeway at around 75mph when I go up hill or have a heavy load like going camping.

I can make it stop by either going faster (makes shift down to 7th, higher RPM) or slower (drops RPM) and when it comes on similar to a resonator in that it starts off faint and gets VERY loud. I've tried to record it and will have to see if the video picks it up. I have checked tire pressures, transmission temp during these encounters and don't notice anything out of normal.

I have yet to take it in for service as I can't be without my vehicle for a long period of time and this feels like one of those things that they may spend a long time trying to figure out.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Doubt there is anything to figure out. It hums under load? So, what! That's what gasoline engines will do when equipped with a restrictive exhaust system and the rpm is to low for the gear that it is in. That's why the exhaust resonance changes when it shifts to a lower gear, rpms increase and engine loading decreases. The situation is aggravated by a complicated exhaust system done on the cheap by Chevy. This is not a real dual exhaust system it only looks like one from the rear. Instead of dual pipes, the two exhaust manifolds with cat convertors and "Y" bend feed into a single engine pipe leading to another asymmetrical "T" connection splitting into two muffler/resonators. When the exhaust back pressure starts choking the valves because the rpm is too low for the load - something's gonna hum. Likely the resonance will sound even louder in the rain on a reflective wet road surface.

This noise is certainly no stranger to anyone who has lugged a manual tranny in a gear too high for the engine rpm and the load. Don't want the noise? - Shift manually, holding the lower gears longer to get higher rpms from the engine. That hum is a warning to downshift.....prolonged lugging of the engine under load can fry the valves.

Be interesting to see what the dealer says.....my guess he will either take it in check the pipes maybe even tighten clamps, spin around the block a few times and essentially do nothing, or worse just say it's normal for this cheap exhaust system and laugh when you leave.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Cheap exhaust system but not cheap when it will be time to replace the 2 resonators/ mufflers in the futurs years.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Cheap exhaust system but not cheap when it will be time to replace the 2 resonators/ mufflers in the futurs years.

Correct - Cheap and expensive are not mutually exclusive terms when it comes to car parts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts