Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission failed at 10k miles, leaving family stranded in 95 degree heat. Chevy roadside assistance, Onstar, Local dealers, nobody came to get us (we were in a very rural area after 6pm on a Saturday and no rental car places were open, no Uber, no internet- just voice cell service). Chevy wanted to tow to small local dealership- we had to pay out of our own pocket to get it towed to our dealership. Had to call friends to get us. Repairs took 2 weeks, plate replacement and software re-load to fix. One month later (while trying to get to a wedding), transmission will not engage when shifting into drive. Will have to go back into shop. This year model does not have the bugs worked out- the 9 speed transmission is not reliable. We begged Chevrolet to give us relief and buy back the vehicle. We were denied. Please save yourself and your family. Avoid this car at all costs. We love the look and features of the car (why we bought it).. Thankfully my family is ok- but this could have very easily ended very badly. It is not worth the risk to your family- especially since Chevrolet will not take ownership of this defect.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I had 3 Dodge Caravans, 1988, 1992, 1999. All 3 had their transmissions die before 30K. The new ones each went over 120K. Go figure. Not unusual to me.

4th one was an Odyssey!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What a heading 2018 Traverse Warning! Well, thanks for the warning, sorry for your problem, but too late I already bought one and after 7K it has been flawless.

All this post documents is that "$hit happens" and a few heresay documented failures and tough luck cases is not cause for alarm and do not condstitute a design flaw or defect. Especially for a design already proven in prior year Cadillacs and other GM models.

So it was a good thing that they had it towed all the way to their dealership for the first plate replacement fix?.....wonder if that dealer was aware that a GM pub indicates that the plate replacement problem only applies to certain Buick Enclaves equipped with the 9T65 tranny. And even if it did apply to Traverses, an incorrect plate only affects a 1-2 upshift, not whatever conditions this first non specific transmission "failure" describes. And, just maybe the first fix contributed to the second problem.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=9590

Glad I didn't have my crippled car towed all the way to a big a$$ city dealer instead of using the local "country bumpkin" dealer. Plymouth Breeze crapped out in the middle of Podunk and towed it to the local dealer. Didn't have a loaner so he gave us a "demo" to use to continue our vacation seeing the local sites the next day. Fast tracked the warranty repair and at my request I paid only for the overnight delivery of parts - within two days he drove the repaired car to the motel for exchange. So, proves not all dealers are incompetent or otherwise $hit!

And simply because the engine runs and the car doesn't engage a gear does not mean a transmission failure...the transmission doesn't care what the driver or shift lever tells it to do, whole system is drive-by-wire there is no direct connection between the driver, engine, transmission or braking system it only listens to the ECU and the BCU in the tranny. If a sensor doesn't tell the ECU to place it in gear....it won't.

Reactions: Ed999

·
Registered
45 Posts
What a heading 2018 Traverse Warning! Well, thanks for the warning, sorry for your problem, but too late I already bought one and after 7K it has been flawless.

All this post documents is that "$hit happens" and a few heresay documented failures and tough luck cases is not cause for alarm and do not condstitute a design flaw or defect. Especially for a design already proven in prior year Cadillacs and other GM models.

So it was a good thing that they had it towed all the way to their dealership for the first plate replacement fix?.....wonder if that dealer was aware that a GM pub indicates that the plate replacement problem only applies to certain Buick Enclaves equipped with the 9T65 tranny. And even if it did apply to Traverses, an incorrect plate only affects a 1-2 upshift, not whatever conditions this first non specific transmission "failure" describes. And, just maybe the first fix contributed to the second problem.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=9590

Glad I didn't have my crippled car towed all the way to a big a$$ city dealer instead of using the local "country bumpkin" dealer. Plymouth Breeze crapped out in the middle of Podunk and towed it to the local dealer. Didn't have a loaner so he gave us a "demo" to use to continue our vacation seeing the local sites the next day. Fast tracked the warranty repair and at my request I paid only for the overnight delivery of parts - within two days he drove the repaired car to the motel for exchange. So, proves not all dealers are incompetent or otherwise $hit!

And simply because the engine runs and the car doesn't engage a gear does not mean a transmission failure...the transmission doesn't care what the driver or shift lever tells it to do, whole system is drive-by-wire there is no direct connection between the driver, engine, transmission or braking system it only listens to the ECU and the BCU in the tranny. If a sensor doesn't tell the ECU to place it in gear....it won't.

Ahmen! While I understand the OP's frustration I find it humorous that someone will register and post a bad experience on a site just to make themselves feel better by thinking they are harming GM. $hit does happen and NO automobile is perfect. Someone with a bad experience is many, many times more likely to post then someone that is satisfied with a product.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with you that sometimes it can happen. Nothing is perfect. When I bought my brand new Jeep Cherokee and it was super new. I wanted to be there when It came with the transport so noboby would take it for a ride before me. Well. I was so happy when I left the dealer lot. Gess what? I did not make it home from the garage. My water pump failed at 10 miles and needed to be towed back to the dealer. Nothing is perfect and this is life. At least I was not in the air flying when it happened, thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Transmission might be the same as used in other models but linkages and distances to connection points to activate sensors etc can differ and may need some tweaking for smooth operation.

I remember reading this review(one of the few not so good ones for 2018 Traverse, most were positive and I did a lot of reading before making purchase)
"https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/18/automotive-minute-2018-chevrolet-traverse-bigger.html"
paragraphs 4 n 5 of a planned test drive with Chevy where they had to get the engineers involved because of shifter issues.
It was fixable so I was less concerned of it when deciding to purchase my 2018.

So ya there is something there that might need tweaking, maybe just earlier models? Love the Traverse so far so hopefully as previously said no vehicle perfect and these issues are isolated to a lesser few. Time will tell.

Title is misleading, using the word Galore. Was it in the shop every month or so for similar issues/concerns leading to this one major one?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Transmission might be the same as used in other models but linkages and distances to connection points to activate sensors etc can differ and may need some tweaking for smooth operation.

I remember reading this review(one of the few not so good ones for 2018 Traverse, most were positive and I did a lot of reading before making purchase)
"https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/18/automotive-minute-2018-chevrolet-traverse-bigger.html"
paragraphs 4 n 5 of a planned test drive with Chevy where they had to get the engineers involved because of shifter issues.
It was fixable so I was less concerned of it when deciding to purchase my 2018.

So ya there is something there that might need tweaking, maybe just earlier models? Love the Traverse so far so hopefully as previously said no vehicle perfect and these issues are isolated to a lesser few. Time will tell.

Title is misleading, using the word Galore. Was it in the shop every month or so for similar issues/concerns leading to this one major one?

That jogged my memory. I remember reading early on about a tranny shifting problem related directly to the drive-by-wire system. Solution involved bundled wiring and rerouting/relocating a wiring cable that was inducting a current in an adjacent wiring cable which gave false commands to the tranny controller.

·
Registered
154 Posts
With the Mercedes Sprinter vans when the engine goes the engine and transmission are shipped to German where they are rebuilt and shipped back to the US. They want the work to be done at the factory. I would hope that with the Traverse the transmission was swapped out for a new one, but no way to know as a customer what was done.

I bought the Traverse knowing that there were more reliable SUV's available but went ahead as the Traverse has double the cargo space of most SUV's and a lot more than the Tahoe or Suburban. If I had a repeat problem I would use the lemon law to get the vehicle replaced. Always a good idea to carefully document any problem and the communications with the dealer's people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
10,690 miles on mine and have been having the odd issue of the it not changing from 1st gear into 2nd, most noticed when I'm parked at work and go to leave. I put the car in reverse and it will start to roll forward unless I hit the gas, once I'm in drive will sometimes have to hit the gas twice to get it to "go" since it just feels like it's stuck in 1st. Biggest time was the other week I was driving for a couple of hours and came to a stop sign, went to turn onto the highway and it would not even get going, had to slam on the gas, after a few seconds you could feel it shift and with tires squealing I took off.

I love my traverse but there is something off with the transmission I'm pretty sure, buddy is master gm tech so this weekend we are camping going to try to recreate it and see if he thinks its how I'm driving it is the traverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 Traverse High Country that has been making a clunking sound from the front-left of the car. Originally (around 2-3k miles) it was intermittent (mostly when the car had sat over night), but by 5k miles, it was much more frequent. The dealer told us that it's a "known issue" and that it may require a transmission replacement.

Regarding the OP, I searched for related issues and found his post. If it was me going through what he went through, I'd probably post something similarly as angry. The post had context and details such that a reader can make their own conclusion regarding whether it's as severe as the title suggests. Though based on my anecdotal experience, the title does seem appropriate.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

So how come my large volume dealer with over 200 Chevy's on the lot who has already sold out his inventory of 60+ '18 Traverses and services these vehicles knows nothing of this "known issue"? Further, when I got the yearly inspection sticker early this month I had the service tech do a check for outstanding service bulletins, but also a keyword search on '18 Traverse tranny failures/replacements in their service records (results = zero).

I don't know about the rest of the board members, but speaking for myself I joined in July '15. What a coincidence, that's when I bought my first (new) Traverse and I suspect the same for most of you who've joined. I've also noticed that the most helpful and knowledgeable posters are senior members who were early owners/joiners going back into the early gen 1 years.

Possibly nothing other than my suspicious nature, but how come all those who claim to have severe tranny problems are first time (1 post) junior member joiners of the forum in July/Aug and already have over 10K miles on their Traverses? If bought new at that time translates to 60K - 120K/yr. or 1,200 - 2,300 miles per week, every week for a year; that's a helluva long daily commute! Only other logical alternatives are that they bought almost a year ago and were perfectly happy and had nothing to say until their vehicle with 10K of unknown driving habits failed, hence their first complaint; or they recently bought a used pig in a poke with relative high mileage for its age that with unknown history that was abused and discarded for just that reason.

Got to figure at a sales rate of over 10,000 units per month, the handful of first (and only time) posters even if accurate is a ridiculous pittance on a statistical basis and unwarranted of the title of this post. I've a first month's production vehicle with over 7K with zero problems or defects. OP's title and one shot post and run entry not only does a disservice to the value of current owners of a perfectly fine vehicles, but discourages potential buyers who base their decision on post heresay rather than the many reputable test entities available on the Internet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission Shutter during low speed shifts

I bought my 2018 Traverse High Country AWD in early March. While I have not taken my truck into the dealer for this issue, it is annoying, as it seems to shutter between low gear shifts (1 to 2), (2 to 3), maybe even (3 to 4), under light to moderate throttle. The shutter does not happen at higher gear shifts, or under heavy throttle. The Transmission always shifts, but the shuttering is annoying, as the vehicle seems to shake.

I don't know if I should be concerned, or if this is normal on this new 9-speed transmission, or even part of its break-in. I have about 4,600 miles, and have noticed this for about the last 2,000 or 3,000 miles. It is possible that it has been there from day 1, and I am just more sensitive to it now.

Has anyone else noticed this annoying symptom, or better yet had it addressed and corrected?

I love the new Traverse otherwise,. The ride and performance are amazing. The fuel economy is terrific (22-30) mpg, with the 3.6 V-6 engine.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Here's what I've gleaned from literature and by playing with it.....take it for what it is worth.

Once again the new 9 spd.tranny uses a high efficency torque converter and redesigned 1-2 clutch which automatically drops one gear on deceleration to assist braking. There is a built in break-in subroutine (few thousand miles?) in the software that engages the clutch more slowly during this period to facilitate proper mating of the component surfaces and provide smoother (more slippage) shifts.

Here's my definitions. A stutter is when the acceleration (not the speed) slows and it delays (or fails) engagement to the next higher gear caused by chatter of the clutch on the drum of the planetary gear set.

A positive back and forth gear engagement upon hitting and releasing the accelerator is not a stutter. As per 9 spd tranny design, with the accelerator you'll feel a more solid 1-2 engagement and as you ease it will drop 2-1 ....pulse the pedal back and forth and it will cause a "chugging" effect......1-2 engagement and 2-1 disengagement will be very noticeable especially in the lower gears. This more positive engagement/disengagement exactly mimics what you'd feel with fast action shift using a clutch on a standard tranny.

I didn't design the damnnnnned thing, the developers did this to increase efficiency and maximize every extra meter of mileage from every drop of gas possible.......... so I'll go easy on the pedal for a smoother drive or ignore the solid engagements when I don't. My '74 Impala was the smoothest shifting vehicle I have ever driven and the only way to tell the gear shifts was to listen for the changes in its turbine-like whine. Plenty of gear overlap and clutch slippage for ultra smooth engagement and 6-7 mpg on a good day. The '18 consistently gives me 24+ mpg in mixed driving and coupled to a 310 hp engine provides 0-60 in 6 second capability.....so I'll gladly settle for a few design limitations.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Seems my 24 mpg mixed driving figure was a low ball for highway driving. Consistent 29 mpg average over the 400 mile trip at 56-70 mpg turnpike speeds. 8th and 9th overdrive gears barely a fast idle at at 1800 rpms.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thomcat. Looking at your picture I find that your gauge temperature is showing quite low!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thomcat. Looking at your picture I find that your gauge temperature is showing quite low!

Nope already looked into it - Normal for '18s.......already checked against others in the lot. Start stop uses a different type cooling system with auxiliary electric water pump to maintain circulation during an auto stop.....might have something to do with it or where the temp sensors(s) are located.

Not unusual, GM periodically screws around with the 12 o'clock normal position for engine gauges. Early Avalanches 12 o'clock 40 psi for the oil pressure, '13s and current Silverados run at around 11 o'clock at 30 psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission failure at 656 miles

Brand new car -- new enough that the plates aren't even on it yet. Experienced two rough down shifts while decelerating to low speed turn. Engine light popped on immediately. On-Star diagnostic said the vehicle may experience decreased performance. Tried to limp to home, but vehicle slipped out of gear and drifted before stuttering and slipping back into gear - but only apparently had one gear. Parked on the road and towed. There are numerous complaints of transmission problems in low mileage on Edmunds for 2018 and 2019 Traverses, so while it may not be an extremely high frequency event, it does not appear to be isolated either. Either way, it's frustrating to park your brand new vehicle on the side of the road. Hard to have faith that this is going to be as reliable as my 03 Tahoe with 250,000 on it and not one major repair.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Brand new car -- new enough that the plates aren't even on it yet. Experienced two rough down shifts while decelerating to low speed turn. Engine light popped on immediately. On-Star diagnostic said the vehicle may experience decreased performance. Tried to limp to home, but vehicle slipped out of gear and drifted before stuttering and slipping back into gear - but only apparently had one gear. Parked on the road and towed. There are numerous complaints of transmission problems in low mileage on Edmunds for 2018 and 2019 Traverses, so while it may not be an extremely high frequency event, it does not appear to be isolated either. Either way, it's frustrating to park your brand new vehicle on the side of the road. Hard to have faith that this is going to be as reliable as my 03 Tahoe with 250,000 on it and not one major repair.

Sure there's a lot of complaints related to transmission failure similar to what you describe. Because lot are made by owners that fail to read the owner manuals, have no concept of CAN system vehicles and think that the term limp-in mode has something to do with a bad hip! In fact the problem(s) may have nothing to do with the transmission at all. Whenever the computer in a CAN vehicle sees what it feels is a serious problem anywhere it will flash the engine light and drop the tranny to a single low speed (usually 2nd) gear so the driver can continue driving the vehicle to the nearest service center. My son's Breeze pulled this crap when a coil pack went bad and my 300M when a cam sensor failed.

The reason it just doesn't flash the engine light alone is to prevent an idiot driver riding around for the next month at normal speeds thinking that everything seems to work and doing further damage or present a condition that is a danger to the driver or others. Attached is one of many describing the event and when it may occur:

https://drivinglife.net/what-are-the-major-causes-and-solutions-of-limp-mode/

Here's a good rule of thumb....car no move with engine spinning, tranny broken.....car drop to single (2nd) gear with engine light, something broken.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a horrible experience. But, the reality is, any car from any manufacturer can have this happen to them. Not even the most reliable brands are immune to occasional failures. But I will say that I usually like to opt for the later years of an old design than jump into a new design early on. There are many newer vehicles from several makes that are just starting to utilize new transmission designs that have more gears to increase fuel economy. A lot of them are having issues with reliability, drive-ability, or both. A few models that I researched when looking for our next vehicle had received rave reviews in every aspect, but could not be recommended due to the newer transmission designs. Only time will tell if this transmission design truly has issues.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts