Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone else is having this problem? We have a 2018 Traverse with 35,600 miles on it and we just took it on a long road trip. Some sections of highway in the winding mountain require more steering input than we typically use driving around town.

We noticed that if we were going 60+ mph and had to turn the wheel more than 1° (according to the off road screen) the steering wheel would stick in the turn when we'd let up the pressure because the turn was ending and we'd have to give it a little push towards center. Once it got past the sticking point, it would snap back to center.

Obviously this is a bit of a safety problem and makes driving through the mountains not that smooth.

We've tried switching AWD on and off as well as the lane keep assist. Neither made any difference. It does this on left and right turns.

After our road trip, we just took it in to the dealer and they are reporting they can't get it to act up and aren't getting any codes or bulletins. Well, of course they can't get it to act up, there aren't really any sharp enough turns in town that you'd take at those speeds.

I searched this forum and with google and haven't seen any similar issues.

My next step I guess is to take it to a different dealer. I'm really close to the end of the 36,000 mile warranty. :(

Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've reached out to Chevrolet and they opened a case and are going to contact the dealer. Not sure if anything will happen from that or not.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It may possibly be the steering angle sensor adjustment that needs to be reset/calibrated through an alignment. There were similar issues with the 2014 Malibus. We experienced it and worked with Chevrolet for about six months before they finally resolved the issue--and it wasn't just our vehicle. Once they identified it as the steering angle sensor and adjusted it, the issue went away and never returned. It seems to be a fairly common issue with electric steering assist. There was a TSB in approx Apr 2014 for Malibus that covered this; can't find the number though. Hope this helps them.

Reactions: bplv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Thanks for the input. I'll bring it up. I don't have the patience to deal with it for 6 months though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It took GM and Chevrolet that amount to determine what the problem was and how to cure it. Once reset, I never had a problem again. I know your frustration though. I was ready to trade the car in when they finally arrived at the solution. I've seen comments in several other forums regarding the same issue. Virtually every one I've read about comes back to steering angle sensor is out of calibration specs and requires resetting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just going to put a final message on this thread because another person contacted me and said they had the same problem.

I went to a couple dealerships and all I got was the "unable to duplicate" answer. So sadly, I don't have any good news.

The other person that contacted me said they have to have their steering box replaced.

·
Registered
259 Posts
bplv--sounds like you are probably out of warranty since your original post was virtually at 36k miles. If that's the case--that you are indeed out of warranty--and that the dealership is not treating this for you, then I would suggest taking it in for an alignment to a reputable alignment shop. Have them verify/reset the steering sensor angles as a first step. That's significantly easier to have done, and less expensive, than having the steering rack replaced. The steering sensor angles interact with the steering rack. Just a suggestion.

(If you replace the steering rack, they will reset the steering sensor angles as part of the process, and you will then never know what the real issue was.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. The dealer performed a wheel alignment but it didn’t solve the problem.

·
Registered
259 Posts
WTS--Make sure they reset the steering sensor angle. It should be a normal part of the alignment, but never can tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts