Traverse Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Make sure the dealer has the wiring harness to replace before you go and make sure they replace it and not try the short cut fix so you are less likely to have to go back.
Was it part of a recall
Normally I wouldn't comment, but that shifter was a real sore point.
I gave up on my '18 Traverse 6 months ago....and after 50 years of buying Detroit iron and all the nickel and dime crap from GM and Chrysler, went to a '20 Highlander rice burner. And Traverses were the main reason....my '15 with it's leaking A/C evaporators and the '18 with the shifter that would crap out without warning.

To get to the shifter problem. It would have affected only the '18s but Chevy with it's cheapo TSB fixes instead of a recall plus failurer to identify and fix the problem properly extended it to '19s. There are two separate issue: a crummy snap together switch inside the shifter that signals the CPU that it is Park and savings fractions of a penny in wiring making the harness too short that cracks or pulls the switch apart eventually with time and the number of shift throws.

First Chevy TSB was to replace the shift assembly either with the old one using the same crapo switch manufac turered before the TSB was issued or an upgraded shifter assembly with a better switch that found it's way into distribution at a later date.....either way the short harness that causes eventual shift damage remained. Next TSB was to leave in the original shfter and replace with a longer upgraded wiring harness ONLY leaving the early ones with the same crap switch just waiting to fail and save them a few bucks. So it is possible to have and '18 or '19 with a bad shift switch or a short harness with an updated shifter switch.

As indicated above settle only for replacement of both. My '18 was good for three months after replacing with BOTH the longer upgraded wiring harness and the later model shifter.

That crapo shifter design and another ocurance was the last straw.....time to trade before the 3/36 expired. Took me three months of test driving every make and every model of three row SUVs in the quad State area and soaking up gallons of free coffee to decide on one without GM's Mickey Mouse engineering and a refinement of the features I so loved in the '18 Premiere Redliner. I soon discovered how the new gen Traverse fell short of new tech engineering. Now I have a large continuous front half retractable or tilted run panoramic moonroof front to rear with a one piece heavy gauge auto retracting and button controlled motorized shade and not two floppy manual ones and the 3 dimensional overhead view is 360 degree rotational plus projects parking and steering lines both front and rear of the vehicle (can even change the color of the vehicle in the TV screen), both second row captain's either slide forward with a child's seat, tilt and roll forward for third seat entry, fully collapse flat auto dropping/tucking the headrest, slide fully rearward if third row is not occupied, plus have the ability to recline rearward, and my favorite the image in HD electronic rearview mirror with night vision can be adjusted from normal to wide angle, raised or lowered in addition to contrast and brightness. No more feeling like an idiot pulling back the front shade manually and an inability of the driver to access the rear shade on a $50K vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another GM fix on the cheap. Problem is in the switch contained in the shifter assembly so clean the contacts in the switch and put in a stub connector with new contacts on the old cleaned contacts on the switch which caused the problem in the first place. Just a wild pessimistic guess but that cleaning may last just long enough until the warranty expires. Lucky for me that crapo press together switch broke when I brought the car for installation of the stub connector.....lucky me....then they had to give me a new improved shifter assembly with a modified switch likely with new contacts that don't need a periodic cleaning.

They pulled the same crap with me on my '16 Silverado with a mechanical vacuum pump failure causing hard braking when the aux electric vacuum pump couldn't provide enough boost. First they were replacing with new improved mechanical vacuum pumps under a TSB and extending the warranty to 60K on the part, then came no more expensive mechanical pump repairs,instead a software update to cycle the electric backup more frequency to compensate for the loss of vacuum output at the main pump. Bye bye '16, rather have a '19 with a
Same issue here. I brought it in a year and a half into a 3 year lease and they "fixed" it probably using the short workaround (after waiting weeks for parts), problem reamined and only got worse but we were traveling during covid and had to live with it. Brought it back in again this week to get it fixed for real and now they say out of warranty and want over $1K in repairs (even though this is a known issue and they never fixed it properly the first time). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue here. I brought it in a year and a half into a 3 year lease and they "fixed" it probably using the short workaround (after waiting weeks for parts), problem reamined and only got worse but we were traveling during covid and had to live with it. Brought it back in again this week to get it fixed for real and now they say out of warranty and want over $1K in repairs (even though this is a known issue and they never fixed it properly the first time). Any suggestions?
I’m at the dealership as I type for the same exact issue. They put a bandaid on it before the pandemic and now it’s out of warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 Redline Traverse with 24000 miles on it. It has started saying "shift to park" on the screen even when it is in park. When this happens we cant lock it and it sits there and dings. Can get it to go off by wiggling the shifter but it is getting worse. Any ideas?
My 2018 Traverse just started saying "shift to park" and dinging today. I called the dealership and they can't get me in until 7/15. 🙄 By the looks of this forum, it is a pretty common problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look on the Acadia forum here for a detailed explanation of the switch problem.
Page 2 has good information, Acadia uses the same shifter as the Traverse.
h??ps://www.acadiaforum.net/threads/tested-working-2017-shift-to-park-fix.34174/page-2
Here is a link to an excellent video showing how to access the switch on the Traverse
h??ps://youtu.be/syEtHuE2EtU
I have just ordered a switch from Digi-Key for about $4.50 as my 2018 is acting up again and it's out of warranty.
Will be replacing the switch and bending the leaver as described .

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Shift to park switch is a GM problem in every brand. Malibu's suffer from it also.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts