Traverse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having this issue of Shift to Park with my 2018 Chevy Traverse, which I bought in April 2018, for about 2 months. It is never a quick error to clear, either. It wastes significant time that I don’t have a lot of. And always at inconvenient times (i.e at 6:00am when I pull up to work in a deserted parking lot-never a good feeling for a female!). Of course it is just outside of the mileage warranty, so the dealership said it’s not covered. Even though it is a well documented problem with GM vehicles, not just the Chevy Traverse. I was given the number for GM customer service (866-522-9559).
I heard from my Senior Advisor’s assistant this morning. She said they are checking to see if there is anything they can do, since the car is out of warranty. They “may be able to reimburse me a portion of the cost to repair, but they can make no promises.” I told her since this such a well documented problem, GM should stand behind the vehicle they sold me with a faulty part THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT. She said that the senior advisor can call me in 3 days, but they can’t promise me anything.
She also said that once GM receives enough calls about this product they MAY issue a recall. PLEASE make sure to call GM and register your complaint about this issue! Don’t let them get away with this. They need to stand behind their product. Otherwise they are enforcing the belief that buying American is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried to do the "Cleaning Procedure"a few times to see if it helps out? I have an appointment at the dealership, but it is a week out and would like to try a temporary fix..

·
Registered
1 Posts
On our 2018 premier w/ 23k miles we just had our first "Shift to park" message appear this past weekend once. Then last night it occurred 2 more times. After already being familiar with the issue from reading this forum I knew it would only get worse. So called in for a service appt at 5pm, and got in for a 10am slot the next day. They confirmed the issue and performed the latest wire harness addition, and mentioned if the issue continues the next step would be to replace the shifter assembly.

Does anyone know exactly what the harness does? Does the added length take pressure off a plug or does it serve as some electrical/signal conditioning?

It seems to be working now, but will definitely be watching it before the warranty expires.
The dealer replaced the harness on our 2018 Premier Traverse. It lasted one week. Headed back to the dealer. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Chevy Traverse, 23K miles, and just started having this "shift to park" issue about a month ago (so a little shy of owning the car for 2 years). It didn't happen often and when it did, I googled it to see others temporarily fixed it by reshifting, wiggling the shifter. Just like others reported, this will start to occur more often and not good if you can't turn your car off. I videotaped the issue to be sure I could show the service dept just in case it didn't happen in front of them. Made the service appt, they had to get parts from their warehouse when I arrived which added 45 minutes of waiting but was able to fix it in about 2 hours total. This was covered by their 3yr/36K mile warranty. Their service ticket says they specifically: cleaned trans shifter connector, replaced inline shifter connector and replaced inline harness for trans shift controller. It seems to have worked, will repost if I start to see issue again but so far so good. Annoying that we have to deal with this since it seems to be a manufacturing issue but at least they fix it for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 2018 Redline Traverse with 24000 miles on it. It has started saying "shift to park" on the screen even when it is in park. When this happens we cant lock it and it sits there and dings. Can get it to go off by wiggling the shifter but it is getting worse. Any ideas?
You need to take it in, it’s a known issue, I think a recall too. Had mine fixed/replaced already

·
Registered
2 Posts
On our 2018 premier w/ 23k miles we just had our first "Shift to park" message appear this past weekend once. Then last night it occurred 2 more times. After already being familiar with the issue from reading this forum I knew it would only get worse. So called in for a service appt at 5pm, and got in for a 10am slot the next day. They confirmed the issue and performed the latest wire harness addition, and mentioned if the issue continues the next step would be to replace the shifter assembly.

Does anyone know exactly what the harness does? Does the added length take pressure off a plug or does it serve as some electrical/signal conditioning?

It seems to be working now, but will definitely be watching it before the warranty expires.
It might contain a snubber circuit to help to keep switch contacts clean. The main problem is the circuit design and switch design. Simply activating the switch 50 times is a complete joke and will not fix anything permanently. They could have avoided all of this if they understood high school electronics and used a sealed switch with gold contacts for this low current application. Standard practice for the last 50 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the shop today for the shift issue for the 2nd time. 2018 Traverse LT, ~26,500 miles. They did the switch replace last week but within three days it was giving the shift to park error again so I scheduled an appointment for the same day I was having the squealing breaks replaced. I also think that the work last week might have messed with some of the other things in the console as the driver side AC ceased functioning and the electronic parking break also stopped engaging. Hopefully it all gets sorted out today, but I'm still not happy. Stuff like this shouldn't happen to a car less than two years old.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
241 Posts
Malibu's have been having the same exact issues, updated harness lucky to last a week and complete shifter assy. winds up being replaced. I'll wager it's the same shifter mech. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer replaced the harness on our 2018 Premier Traverse. It lasted one week. Headed back to the dealer. :(
I forgot to update, but I think ours lasted 1 or 2 weeks as well. Took it back in and had the whole assembly changed. So we’ll see in about 25k miles if it pops up again, but hopefully the new design fixes it more permanently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Traverse has the problem. The dealer replaced the shift assembly and that should fix the problem, assuming the new shifter has the correct micoswitch. If not, it is only a matter of time before the problem recurs. Clicking the switch 50 times will never be a permanent fix so don't let your dealer try to sell you on that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Traverse LT also started doing this at 24,000 miles. I dealed with it for a month waiting for the COVID19 to come to an end, but I couldn't wait anymore. It started getting worse to where it took longer to shift it to park. I left it at the dealership today, and hope to get it later and fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Chevy Traverse, 23K miles, and just started having this "shift to park" issue about a month ago (so a little shy of owning the car for 2 years). It didn't happen often and when it did, I googled it to see others temporarily fixed it by reshifting, wiggling the shifter. Just like others reported, this will start to occur more often and not good if you can't turn your car off. I videotaped the issue to be sure I could show the service dept just in case it didn't happen in front of them. Made the service appt, they had to get parts from their warehouse when I arrived which added 45 minutes of waiting but was able to fix it in about 2 hours total. This was covered by their 3yr/36K mile warranty. Their service ticket says they specifically: cleaned trans shifter connector, replaced inline shifter connector and replaced inline harness for trans shift controller. It seems to have worked, will repost if I start to see issue again but so far so good. Annoying that we have to deal with this since it seems to be a manufacturing issue but at least they fix it for free.
Update: Less than 1 month later, Shift to Park error message happening again (intermittantly). Called Chevy, they said the next fix is to replace the shift assembly. I am taking it this week. Will update after this work gets done and keep you posted if it works...PS - If it doesn't work, I plan to trade the car in for an entirely different brand/make.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Less than 1 month later, Shift to Park error message happening again (intermittantly). Called Chevy, they said the next fix is to replace the shift assembly. I am taking it this week. Will update after this work gets done and keep you posted if it works...PS - If it doesn't work, I plan to trade the car in for an entirely different brand/make.
What they did originally (cleaned the connector) is a total joke, as is the in line harness, and is not a permanent fix. The shift assembly contains a small switch which is in my oipinion, the wrong one for this application (has to do with low current contact corrosion) and until GM uses the correct switch, the problem will keep coming back. Some will fail soon, some later but most will fail within a few years. Pray that GM specs a different switch and issues a recall to fix problem permanently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2018 Redline Traverse with 24000 miles on it. It has started saying "shift to park" on the screen even when it is in park. When this happens we cant lock it and it sits there and dings. Can get it to go off by wiggling the shifter but it is getting worse. Any ideas?
Just started experiencing the same issue. 2018 Traverse High Country. 39400 miles. Could get it to go off by jiggling a few days ago but now can’t get it to stop tonight. Don’t know what to do. 8:14pm and not in my home state to take to my dealer or mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started experiencing the same issue. 2018 Traverse High Country. 39400 miles. Could get it to go off by jiggling a few days ago but now can’t get it to stop tonight. Don’t know what to do. 8:14pm and not in my home state to take to my dealer or mechanic.
It was my experience if just keep turning it on and off eventually it will take. Sometimes took me 20ish times before it would stop though. Since it just started for you it should hopefully be able to turn off the required amount of times before you can get it in for a fix. The fix took me about 2-3 hours if you have to hit up a dealer where you are at and need to budget time. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Traverse LT also started doing this at 24,000 miles. I dealed with it for a month waiting for the COVID19 to come to an end, but I couldn't wait anymore. It started getting worse to where it took longer to shift it to park. I left it at the dealership today, and hope to get it later and fixed.
UPDATE: After installing a jumper harness that only worked for a week. I went back and a new shift gear was installed. It has been working great so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Traverse Premier Redline with approximately 24000 miles on it. A notice pops up on the dash to "shift to park" when the gear is already shifted to "park". When this happens, the vehicle dings continuously when you try to turn it off and you can't just get out and lock the doors. We have to keep shifting the gear multiple times back to back to get the vehicle to finally recognize it is in "park". Taking vehicle to the dealership to see if the issue can be resolved. Any recommendations in the meantime would be appreciated.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Make sure the dealer has the wiring harness to replace before you go and make sure they replace it and not try the short cut fix so you are less likely to have to go back.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts