Traverse Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this same issue and the dealership has fixed it on 3 separate occasions. Has anyone had any long term luck with the gm part?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably not. It is made out of plastic that is way too thin for the amount of repeated force it has to endure. Either install it with a washer (as several others stated) or have it 3D printed in a better type of plastic or even metal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine broke today on my 2019. Might try to get it fixed under warranty or might try to drill out rivets and use screws with washers. Would be nice to find a metal one to replace plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine broke today on my 2019. Might try to get it fixed under warranty or might try to drill out rivets and use screws with washers. Would be nice to find a metal one to replace plastic.
If you follow the link someone posted where he 3D scanned it, then go to the site called shapeways and upload said 3D file, you have a choice of ordering different plastic or metal versions of it. I decided to not use warranty because it'll break again eventually and just ordered one in black steel from shapeways. It should arrive soon hopefully so I'll update later

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you follow the link someone posted where he 3D scanned it, then go to the site called shapeways and upload said 3D file, you have a choice of ordering different plastic or metal versions of it. I decided to not use warranty because it'll break again eventually and just ordered one in black steel from shapeways. It should arrive soon hopefully so I'll update later
No matter which link or product I look at it says 2 are plastic and 1 is aluminum at over $100.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No matter which link or product I look at it says 2 are plastic and 1 is aluminum at over $100.00.
Did you download one of the three 3D files? ? (i used the very first one that was posted a few months ago)
Then go to shapeways.com and upload it and then when you go through the ordering process it gives you different options of material. I got black steel for I think $55-ish dollars. It was worth it to me, knowing it won't break anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you download one of the three 3D files? ? (i used the very first one that was posted a few months ago)
Then go to shapeways.com and upload it and then when you go through the ordering process it gives you different options of material. I got black steel for I think $55-ish dollars. It was worth it to me, knowing it won't break anymore.
Yes, I turned off the other options to make it a little less confusing. I can turn them all on but there are few options that you're really going to want here. Steel might make sense, I can add it back in if you think you want the $50 part.

The real problem here is that GM messed up the original part. The plastic they chose was too brittle and they exacerbated the issue by using too much force to install the rivet (crushing the back side of the part). I suspect they use the same plastic part and same rivet force at the dealership when they replace the part. This is probably why it comes back to haunt you.

For this application, I'd recommend the HP Multi-Jet Fusion or their Versatile Plastic. Both materials are actually Nylon12 but I think the HP Multi-Jet Fusion has a better surface finish. Both have a relatively high resistance to heat deformation and should preform well inside the vehicle, even under constant use. This is why the other options aren't available if you go to the link I provided. I could go into the reasons that I eliminated the other material options but there are too many and I don't have that sort of time. If you need it in gold, something may be wrong with you.

One reason not to make it in metal is that it could get really hot with exposure to the sun. You may notice that in modern cars, there are few (uncoated/uncovered) metal parts inside the car that you would touch. Seat belts are the only think I can think of off hand but those are usually not in full view of the sun, unlike this part.

Another reason you may choose the Nylon12 or aluminum or steel is (obviously) cost. For the cost of just a single aluminum part, you can have almost a dozen of the plastic ones. If the Nylon12 part should fail after a few years, it's easy (and cheap) to replace. If it fails in less than a year, I'll probably redesign the part or specify a different material. ASA is a good material option but Shapeways doesn't currently offer that material.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I've gone back in and turned on steel options and added their more expensive Nylon12 Plastics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I turned off the other options to make it a little less confusing. I can turn them all on but there are few options that you're really going to want here. Steel might make sense, I can add it back in if you think you want the $50 part.

The real problem here is that GM messed up the original part. The plastic they chose was too brittle and they exacerbated the issue by using too much force to install the rivet (crushing the back side of the part). I suspect they use the same plastic part and same rivet force at the dealership when they replace the part. This is probably why it comes back to haunt you.

For this application, I'd recommend the HP Multi-Jet Fusion or their Versatile Plastic. Both materials are actually Nylon12 but I think the HP Multi-Jet Fusion has a better surface finish. Both have a relatively high resistance to heat deformation and should preform well inside the vehicle, even under constant use. This is why the other options aren't available if you go to the link I provided. I could go into the reasons that I eliminated the other material options but there are too many and I don't have that sort of time. If you need it in gold, something may be wrong with you.

One reason not to make it in metal is that it could get really hot with exposure to the sun. You may notice that in modern cars, there are few (uncoated/uncovered) metal parts inside the car that you would touch. Seat belts are the only think I can think of off hand but those are usually not in full view of the sun, unlike this part.

Another reason you may choose the Nylon12 or aluminum or steel is (obviously) cost. For the cost of just a single aluminum part, you can have almost a dozen of the plastic ones. If the Nylon12 part should fail after a few years, it's easy (and cheap) to replace. If it fails in less than a year, I'll probably redesign the part or specify a different material. ASA is a good material option but Shapeways doesn't currently offer that material.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I've gone back in and turned on steel options and added their more expensive Nylon12 Plastics.

Ha, didn't know you turned off some options. That's why he didn't find it.
Steel does get hot, that's true. We even live i ln Texas but it's not like someone is actually touching this part much, if at all. I figured I'll test it out and if it really does get too hot and we touch more often than I thought we would, I'll cut a black cotton fabric to size and cover it. Still better than having to keep replacing it.
And you are absolutely right about this being GM's fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2020. I've got a 3D printer and some CAD software so I just made the part rather than look for it online. Here are some pic of the two parts side by side.
View attachment 9434 View attachment 9433

The forum doesn't allow the file extension for the model so I can't post it here. Instead, I've posted a link to it to Thingiverse.
If you don't have a printer, you can order if from a number of places, I personally like Shapeways. I've created a link to the part here.

Hope this helps!
How did you install

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you install
So there are three versions of the replacement part (that I made):
  1. The first part is a direct replacement for the original GM part: Traverse Moonroof Latch
  2. Second version moved the mounting holes farther apart to avoid conflict with the old rivets: Traverse Moonroof Latch - Wide (rev 1) by mhuff on Shapeways
  3. The third version adds clearance holes where the original rivets are installed. This allows you to install the new latch without having to remove the old rivets: Traverse Moonroof Latch - Wide (rev 2) by mhuff on Shapeways
I installed option 2 since I was working through it while making parts. I'd recommend option 3 for repairs since you won't have to remove the old rivets but it's up to the owner. In the description of the part on Shapeways parts, I've included the recommendation for #6x1/2" self tapping sheet metal screws for mounting the new part. Something like this Amazon part would work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Were you able to replace the rivets? How did you replace it?
You just drill them out and put new ones in. I'm still waiting for the latch to be delivered from shapways but I already drilled out the old rivets. You just use a drill and a metal drill butt that's a bit larger than the inner hole of the rivet that you can see. Then just drill until the "head" of the rivet falls off. After that, the rest of the rivet either falls off on it's own or you'll push it through with a center punch.
Alternatively, if you have a chisel, you can also chisel the rivet head off and then punch the rest through.
You'll just need to get new rivets that are long enough for replacement. Well, and a good double sided tape.

What helped me during rivet removal was pushing an old kitchen towel between the frame holding the latch and the headliner. There's surprisingly a lot of space. The cloth helped catching the metal shavings and rivet pieces. After I was done, I gently pulled the cloth out again and it held on to all shavings amd pieces.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts