Traverse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The idea of drilling out the rivet is to drill slightly larger than the shaft of the rivet so that the HEAD of the rivet is removed. Shouldn't affect the back of the rivet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got in the vehicle this morning and noticed the rear sunroof shade was open and the locking piece that it was mounted to was on the floor. I have been looking and looking all over and cant find this piece online anywhere or even what its actually called. I've attached a photo below, but this piece is what is actually supposed to keep the sunroof shade closed. I'm trying to avoid having to go to a dealership and have this foxed, but would rather order the part. If anyone out there can help, I'd appreciate it.
same thing happenned to my 2019 traverse, first a few weeks after buying it and then again after 6 months..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2020. I've got a 3D printer and some CAD software so I just made the part rather than look for it online. Here are some pic of the two parts side by side.
View attachment 9434 View attachment 9433

The forum doesn't allow the file extension for the model so I can't post it here. Instead, I've posted a link to it to Thingiverse.
If you don't have a printer, you can order if from a number of places, I personally like Shapeways. I've created a link to the part here.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for posting this. My wife's 2018 did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the 3D printed part. I do have a Chevy part number for the kit to replace the part but it is on national backorder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Worried that I will suffer the same faith. Went out to the parked car and check. My 2015 has a metal latch. No worries for me and can't keep thinking what a way for GM to make more profits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I ended up using a couple of washers I had laying around and #6 3/4 inch self tapping screws. I went through the center of the rivet. I also had to use a 7/64 drill bit for metal. This worked for me. I would caution that you use PPE when doing this in case there is any metal shavings. Be careful once the screw bites and goes in it will be quick so you don't crack the plastic cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share some updates I made to the part models. I've created two new parts that take out some of the guess work and make it easy to install:
Since I had already removed the rivets, I installed the second version of the part. I used two #6 x 1/2" self tapping sheet metal screws. Worked perfectly, took about 1 min to install.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen last week on my 2020 Traverse. Seven months old and I hadn’t even opened the screen yet. Just broke in the driveway. The rivets are pulled in too tight and damage the soft plastic. Others have shared that in their pictures. I drilled out the center of the rivet using a #30 drill bit from a number drill bit set. It was a little hard to get started, but with a little patience. A #30 is 0.128” dia. and will allow for a new rivet to be inserted. I didn’t bother to remove the rest of the old rivet, it was solidly installed. The hole in the latch is too big for the rivet, so I used a flat washer for a #8 machine screw on the rivet first, then the latch, and into the new hole. The rivet was a 1/8” dia. by 1/4” long. I was concerned it might happen again, so I tightened the rivet tight enough to hold, but not damage the plastic latch. I then cut the protruding mandrel (point) with a pair of nippers and filed the rough edge.
A 9/64” drill bit (0.140”) may be too big for the 1/8” rivet, and since you cannot get in there to back it up with a washer, I used the smaller #30 drill bit. They are a little harder to come by.
Ira, that is the back of the rivet in your photo, it will fall off. I left the foam sound pad in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My grandson broke mine by trying to open the shade cover. I was told by the dealership that the frame had to be replaced and would be expensive.
I fixed it myself by drilling out the two rivets, and installing two bulb-ex rivets that have a large flanged head on them. This is a poor design on GM's part, the plastic around the rivets is not very thick and breaks very easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the local Chevy importer to fix the piece a second time. The first time they fixed it, they replaced the entire frame. This time, they only replaced the piece and drilled out the rivets. I took a couple pics of the part just in case it helps anybody out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got in the vehicle this morning and noticed the rear sunroof shade was open and the locking piece that it was mounted to was on the floor. I have been looking and looking all over and cant find this piece online anywhere or even what its actually called. I've attached a photo below, but this piece is what is actually supposed to keep the sunroof shade closed. I'm trying to avoid having to go to a dealership and have this foxed, but would rather order the part. If anyone out there can help, I'd appreciate it.
I went to the dealer ship hopping they can find it. Got in the vehicle this morning and noticed the rear sunroof shade was open and the locking piece that it was mounted to was on the floor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Count me in this group. Noticed my '19 second row cover open a few weeks back. I have metal dog kennels in the way so can't reach it easily, but my opinion was it broke without ever being used. I can honestly say this is the first issue I've had with poor quality/design in my first 8500 miles. Wouldn't take it back to the dealer for repair if my life depended on it, so with all the great info here, I'll get to it when the weather turns cooler. Thanks for everyone's posts, very helpful I'm sure...

·
Registered
6 Posts
is it possible to order the part from you?
I've not seen any replies from REdline1 about his part but I posted a few links to some parts I made if you're still interested. Look at Post #31 if you still need the part.

Along those lines, if you guys need anything else or want to make/ CAD/ print something special, let me know, maybe I can help. I have run several professional printers so I hesitated to make these parts myself. I thought it might just be easier to have shapeways make it but If I were inclined, I could run the parts myself and save you guys some money (no that it's an expensive part). You can message me directly if you want to chat about it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts