Traverse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I selected the 2018 Traverse based on the available cargo space which was greater than that for the Tahoe or the Suburban or Highlander. The third row seating on the Traverse folds completely flat and is out of the way. I picked up a 16 cu ft freezer today and it fit inside the Traverse with no problems at all. The addition of the third row bench that cannot be removed transformed a utility vehicle into a 4WD minivan and cuts the available cargo space by two-thirds on other SUV's.

The Traverse has the smoothest ride by far of any sedan I have driven and the worse the road the more I appreciate its smoothness. On winding roads the suspension works very well with very little body roll and it is easy to control comfortably for the driver and the passengers.

All the controls are well placed and easy to use while driving. I have been in vehicles where to change the fan speed I needed to go into the menu structure and down 3 levels on the LCD display and not something that is safe when driving. Nav has a display in the main screen and a second small display with just the next turn information which is great and not commonly found.

Something that I read about but went largely unnoticed is that there is a lever under the rear view mirror and when flipped the mirror shows the image from the rear cameras while driving. When I had a lot of plants in the cargo area and today when the freezer was loaded it was great to still have a clear view behind the vehicle using the rear cameras.

The only negative of us was having to have the second row captains chairs as their is a large gap between them where gear falls down to the floor. We compensate when traveling by adding a "pet bridge" between the front and second row seat backs to great a bench seat environment.

The performance is stellar both in terms of smooth acceleration and plenty of power for merging with traffic at freeway on ramps or when passing slower vehicles on a steep grade. Absolutely no hesitation at all.

Lots of storage space including the hidden area under the rear cargo area. This is where we store jackets and binoculars and flares and other gear.

I routinely average 22 mpg around town and 25-30 mpg on the open road. Traverse averages 30 mpg at 75 mph on flat highways. With more than 20 gallons of regular 87 Octane gas the Traverse has a range of 450-600 miles.

The only special maintenace I do is to change the motor oil every 5,000 miles as the V-6 engine used has had problems with adequate lubrication of the timing chain. GM is supposed to have fixed the problem but for me having 20 oil changes ijnstead of 10 over 100,000 miles of driving is cheap insurance as this is a very very expensive repair job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a 16 cu ft freezer today and it fit inside the Traverse with no problems at all.
I'm looking at getting a 2018 or 2019 Traverse. I would like to know the actual measurements (height and width) of the rear opening, right at the hatch. We have to fit a large dog crate, and I can't find anywhere that tells me actual measurements. Could you measure yours and let me know/ I would appreciate it. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts