Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this here in case anyone wanted to get some ideas on their own ride. I couldn't find anything anywhere about someone doing something similar to their '18 or '19 Traverse before I started this project and it definitely would have helped me. This was all done in a 2018 Premier.

So I installed a pair of Stereo Integrity 6.5" and Audiofrog 2.5" in the doors. I created a custom mount out of 1/2" and 3/4" MDF for the speakers, and the 2.5" speaker has a small enclosure of ~0.2L. A substantial amount of CLD tiles was stuck to inner door panel, outer door metal, and inner door metal. The holes in the doors were covered in sheet metal, a layer of closed cell foam and them mass loaded vinyl went in there too right behind the interior door panel.

I fabricated mounts out of ABS for the 1" Audiofrog tweeters, which went in the stock locations at top of dash.

Mount for circuit breaker made out of 1/4" ABS.

I used a PAC AP4-GM61 to get a clean audio signal from the factory head unit. I created a mount for it out of 1/8" ABS and secured it underneath the passenger footwell. This unit also has a non-fading level control knob that I installed in the center console.

The amp rack and enclosure for a JL Audio 10TW3 I built to fit into the removable cargo bin area. I routed all the speaker and remote connections through a MOLEX connector for easy connect/ disconnect in case I need to get to the spare tire. The DSP is the Alpine PXE-0850S and the amp is Alpine PDX-V9. The control for the DSP just sits in my center armrest storage area.

Thanks for checking it out!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow this is amazing... And very clean installation... Nice work!

I guess I should be glad I don't have a good enough ear to tell a huge difference between normal and superior radios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice job! I'm happy with the Bose system, but, like you, I upgraded the stereo on my Harley. It truly is a daunting task, but a labor of love.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow this is amazing... And very clean installation... Nice work!

I guess I should be glad I don't have a good enough ear to tell a huge difference between normal and superior radios.
This is a labor of love - VERY NICE !
Nice job! I'm happy with the Bose system, but, like you, I upgraded the stereo on my Harley. It truly is a daunting task, but a labor of love.
Thanks for the compliments! It was definitely a labor of love... It took about 5 months to complete. I have 2 young kids so I could only work on it a few nights a week after they went to bed. There were a bunch of times when I was right on the verge of giving up and taking it to a audio shop to finish. I mean this car is a PITA to install stuff in. Just to run wire to the trunk I have to remove the front seats, 3rd row seats, and EVERY PANEL.

To be honest, the BOSE system didn't sound too bad. The center channel annoyed me though, as it seemed like all the audio content was coming out of the center channel. Maybe it was too loud compared to the left and right speakers. But even if the stereo sounded great I would have done this anyways because this is my hobby. I realize it's a pretty stupid hobby but what can you do :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW- - I have a lot more pics and info up in the 'Build logs and Project Install Gallery' at diymobileaudio.com if anyone is interested. I am not allowed to post links here apparently otherwise I would link to it directly. You should be able to find it quite easily by searching for '2018 Traverse', since as of today it's the only Traverse on there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
BTW- - I have a lot more pics and info up in the 'Build logs and Project Install Gallery' at diymobileaudio.com if anyone is interested. I am not allowed to post links here apparently otherwise I would link to it directly. You should be able to find it quite easily by searching for '2018 Traverse', since as of today it's the only Traverse on there.
Here's the direct link to that forum: LINK

And how many pounds of Dynamat and such do you think you installed in it? A noticeable difference in sound isolation with road noise now or tire noise with the radio off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very nice job! Do you have any problems with the cargo lid or plastic lining vibrating from the subwoofer? How good is the sound transfer thru the cargo lid?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the direct link to that forum: LINK

And how many pounds of Dynamat and such do you think you installed in it? A noticeable difference in sound isolation with road noise now or tire noise with the radio off?

Thanks for posting the link!

I used about 30 sq. ft. of dynamat- type material. The only places I used it were the front doors, the spare tire well, and along the rear quarter panels. The dynamat primarily stops the thin panels from vibrating from the 6.5" speakers in the doors and the sub in the back. I definitely noticed a difference in vibration with the dynamat. The door feels much more sturdy, like you would expect from a luxury car or something. I also used mass-loaded vinyl in the doors and that is supposed to block road noise, but I am not sure if I really noticed a difference. You see, I had to drive around without either the driver door panel or passenger door panel for weeks at a time. Without the door panel even more road noise gets into the cabin. So my A/B comparison went from having no door panel on the door at all, to having mass-loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, and door panel back on. I bought a ton more mass-loaded vinyl than i used because I was planning on coating a lot of the car in it, but the project just ended up taking too long as it is so I never followed through.

I also don't have ANC anymore since all the stock speakers are disconnected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice job! Do you have any problems with the cargo lid or plastic lining vibrating from the subwoofer? How good is the sound transfer thru the cargo lid?
Thanks!

I do get some vibration in the trunk area when the sub is playing really loud, louder than I normally listen to it. One day I plan on adding a bunch more CLD tiles to the rear area and hatch lid.

I did a few things to the cargo bin to make sure it didn't rattle. I covered the outside of it in Dynamat-like material, I used closed cell foam where the cargo bin touched the car metal on the bottom, and I lined the spare tire well with two layers of that same material.

The last phase of my install was going to be to tear off the factory carpet from the cargo lid, drill some 1" to 2" holes in the lid over the subwoofer, then re-carpet. To my surprise, the subwoofer sounded just fine with the cargo lid closed as-is. However, I think I may have to drill the holes anyways to allow some more airflow for the amp. I think the 5-channel amp may be overheating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice install and thanks for sharing. Did you use the factory wiring for the door speakers?
Thanks! No I ran all new 14 AWG speaker wire from the amp-rack in the back. I routed the wires down the sides of the car using the factory wire conduit, then up through the dash to the tweeters and through the doors to the midrange/ midbass.

The factory wiring is still in place for when I sell the vehicle and I need to put the stock speakers back in. I wrapped the un-used factory speaker connectors behind the doors and in the dash with closed cell foam and secured them so they wouldn't rattle.

All the rear speakers that I didn't replace and the factory sub are disconnected at the factory amplifier inside the center console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great work! I'm getting a system installed in my 18 this weekend. Was looking for a place to the amp to go that was accessible for tuning purposes after the install. Any problems with your amp overheating with it being in that location? That was one spot I was thinking to install it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great work! I'm getting a system installed in my 18 this weekend. Was looking for a place to the amp to go that was accessible for tuning purposes after the install. Any problems with your amp overheating with it being in that location? That was one spot I was thinking to install it.
Hey sorry I didn't see this before the weekend. Where did you end up getting your amp installed?

So far I haven't had any overheating problems with my amp overheating, but I don't usually drive for more than a half hour at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey sorry I didn't see this before the weekend. Where did you end up getting your amp installed?

So far I haven't had any overheating problems with my amp overheating, but I don't usually drive for more than a half hour at a time.
I ended up have it installed under the passenger seat. Its tucked back enough to be out of the way of feet and luckily the floor mats offer just enough coverage to prevent things from getting on the amp.

What have you been running for volts since you did your install? I've noticed I'm running anywhere between 12.0 to 13.6, but mainly in the mid 12 volt rang. I dont appear to have any dimming or other system issues but the volts se low. Never really paid much attention to my volt meter before install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How did you, or did you disconnect the ANC? Clean install btw!
All the factory speakers are disconnected at the factory amplifier. ANC is enabled and running, but without speakers connected it does nothing. I can't really tell a difference but I didn't do an A/B comparison. I'm curious if I would hear a difference if I was able to enable/ disable it on the fly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts