Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have an '18 Traverse LT with 24K miles, 1st and only owner. Twice in the last month (most recently today), my wife has experienced the same issue immediately after filling up with gas: the engine suddenly stops while she's driving. The first time it happened twice in the mile between the gas station & home. Today it happened 3 times in the roughly the same distance from a different station.

After the 1st time, I drove it a few minutes later and was unable to replicate the issue, and seemed fine driving through half a tank before we could get it to a dealer service dept. The service rep said they could take a look and drive it, but since it drove fine since it was unlikely they could replicate it. They could also drain the tank and refuel it and then try it. But if they couldn't find an issue, we would be on the hook for 1 hr of labor ($150). He suggested it could be bad gas and to just fill up at Quiktrip or the like next time. So we left. My wife did that today, same issue. She doesn't feel safe driving it now and I don't blame her.

Has anyone else on here heard about or experienced this problem, or have an idea why it's happening? She does not top off when getting gas, and the check engine never came on. I hate the idea of having to pay even $150 for any issue since it's still under warranty, even if I can afford it. But I'm definitely taking it back in. I just wish I had more/better info. I was surprised to not find reports of a similar issue when googling it. We have had an issue with the fuel system a few months ago, posted an image of what was done.

Thanks everyone, in advance. We'd hoped to drive our Traverse for several years at least. Nothing else in this class and price range is as roomy, which we need with 3 teenagers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Did you ever figure out the problem with your engine stalling? We just bought a 2018 Traverse a month ago with 40k miles on it. It started doing exactly what you said in your post. I couldn't find anything on the internet until I found your post. We took it to the dealership and of course it wouldn't mimic the problem for them. It was literally doing it every refuel, even with different gas stations. We put fuel injector cleaner in it. Not sure if that's what is helping or it's a coincidence. Knock on wood, it hasn't did it in the last 2 refuels.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Sounds like a similar issue to the "fill it up and it won't start" issue related to the purge valve. They've redesigned the valve, but I'm not sure exactly when. I got mine Dec 30, 2019 under warranty. See here:

So your Traverse could have been built as early as fall 2017, so your valve could be over 3 years old and MAY BE the old model. The new PN is 12690512 and is applicable to both Gen 1's and Gen 2's.

It's $28 and easy to change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a similar issue to the "fill it up and it won't start" issue related to the purge valve. They've redesigned the valve, but I'm not sure exactly when. I got mine Dec 30, 2019 under warranty. See here:

So your Traverse could have been built as early as fall 2017, so your valve could be over 3 years old and MAY BE the old model. The new PN is 12690512 and is applicable to both Gen 1's and Gen 2's.

It's $28 and easy to change.

Ok, Thank you. I will mention this to my husband. I appreciate the response! Fingers crossed this helps. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts