Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story.. Close family member was in a bad accident, was rear ended by a much larger vehicle at full speed on express way. Not a good outcome. Family member is very faithful to wearing seat belt, won't even put in drive or reverse unless seat belt is on... The accident report says there was no seat belt on, which was completely false. Problem is, the seat belt took a few times before it "clicked" in. Has anyone experienced having a hard time clicking their seat belt in on the driver's side, or passenger side on the 2018?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never had an issue with any of the seatbelts in my 2018. If the seatbelt failed somehow will the insurance company investigate? Something as serious as a widespread seatbelt failure will no doubt have garnered the attention of the NTSB / NHTSA and GM would be working to fix it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The box in the car is only showing that the seat belt was not latched upon impact. I believe it latched far enough to not set off the seat belt alert. So we are trying to find anyone that has had any issues in the 2018

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Latching "far enough to not set off the seat belt alert" but not enough to tell "the box in the car" that it was latched seems far-fetched to me. It would imply there are two latch sensing devices, which I highly doubt. I'm sure it's a single digital (latched or not latched) input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you are saying. It would take a few tries before it would click in. Or we thought it was clicked in. There is a device in newer cars ( like a black box in an airplane) that show certain safety issues. And this device that was retrieved after the accident shows that the driver did not have their seat belt on. Before the accident occurred, there was no alerts to fasten belt. So that makes me wonder if there is anyone one else that may have had any similar occurrences. Do you have any suggestions of anything we can look for that would show the driver did have their seat belt on? I'm desperately looking for answers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FYI, the Traverse only sounds several alerts/dinging about 30 secs after ignition starts if either front passengers have not buckled in yet. After those several dings, there are no further audible alerts to buckle up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FYI, the Traverse only sounds several alerts/dinging about 30 secs after ignition starts if either front passengers have not buckled in yet. After those several dings, there are no further audible alerts to buckle up.
+1 exactly what I was going to write. With all the other alerts and warnings upon start up it my be easy to miss the seat belt warning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! The passenger was an eye witness that the driver indeed had the seat belt on. A passersby had a Dashcam and there is video of this. It does indeed show the seat belt on the driver. So my concern was that maybe there could be an issue with latching and was looking to see if anyone else had this issue as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 exactly what I was going to write. With all the other alerts and warnings upon start up it my be easy to miss the seat belt warning.
I find those dings hard to miss, they usually start nagging me as I'm in the process of buckling up, so they start fast. I've never tested to see how long they are persistent for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You have an eye witness and a dash cam video. One would think that it should be proof enough for the insurance, police or courts.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would think that would be enough, unfortunately the CRD shows it wasn't latched upon impact ?. Will definitely keep updating. If you hear of anyone that is having any seat belt issues, please let me know or show them this post. Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greentraverse... Not one time did I say the video showed it latched. I said the video shows that the drive had the belt on. So you can take your smart crack comments and troll somewhere else. I'm here for help, I'm not here to be picked apart by someone who obviously doesn't everything.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Greentraverse... Not one time did I say the video showed it latched. I said the video shows that the drive had the belt on. So you can take your smart crack comments and troll somewhere else. I'm here for help, I'm not here to be picked apart by someone who obviously doesn't everything.
Not sure why you think I was making a "smart crack," and it certainly wasn't meant to "pick you apart." I'm sorry you have someone hurt, and I HAVE been trying to help you, but I'm guessing you're not going to get any answer that will solve your problem.

Specifically, I was responding to G.Frog's post (#12): "You have an eye witness and a dash cam video. One would think that it should be proof enough for the insurance, police or courts." I never said YOU said it.

So my response to that statement was that I don't think a dash cam video is going to help you prove that anything was latched. Unless it shows an audible click, it won't prove anything. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that doesn't make it a "smart crack."

But if you continue to call people trying to help you "trolls," you'll get even less help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The passenger was an eye witness that the driver indeed had the seat belt on. A passersby had a Dashcam and there is video of this. It does indeed show the seat belt on the driver.
I don't think a dash cam video is going to help you prove that anything was latched. Unless it shows an audible click, it won't prove anything.
The dashcam video from the "passersby" shows that he was wearing a seat belt. Yes it's quite possible that it didn't latch completely, but it was just enough to hold the seat belt in place while he was driving.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The dashcam video from the "passersby" shows that he was wearing a seat belt. Yes it's quite possible that it didn't latch completely, but it was just enough to hold the seat belt in place while he was driving.
And that was my point. Coupled with my previous point that there is most likely only one "switch" that signifies the belt was latched, and that the computer thinks it wasn't latched, I'm guessing the video won't prove much.

Not what the OP wants to hear, but then, what the heck do I know, I'm just a troll, even after 7-1/2 yrs and 2,365 posts.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Greentraverse I think you are very usefull on this forum and I am always happy to read your posts and your answers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts