Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My first post here. We just picked up a 2018 premiere AWD and have loved it so far! Yesterday was the first day we had six adults in it and with the extra weight the rear end was VERY bouncy. It has 44,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had shocks needing to be replaced this early?

·
Registered
408 Posts
With a previously used vehicle, you have no knowledge of driving conditions it was subjected to. With 44,000 miles, the shocks could be worn and no longer performing their intended function. They are a wear item and intended to be replaced at some point. yours may have arrived at that point earlier than most.

Reactions: Redline

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a previously used vehicle, you have no knowledge of driving conditions it was subjected to. With 44,000 miles, the shocks could be worn and no longer performing their intended function. They are a wear item and intended to be replaced at some point. yours may have arrived at that point earlier than most.
That is a fair point. We will work on getting them replaced. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Give them a good visual inspection for obvious fluid leaks, damage, etc. From your description, it sounds like they have failed the jounce/bounce test, but there may be an underlying failure as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi - i have the same issue with my 2019 that i purchased new and have 44k on it now. I have another post that i mentioned the rear end bottoming out. I first noticed the issue with a full load of kids in the back going over a speed bump, but now it seems to happen even with 4 bags of topsoil and me alone in the car. I also had a 2016 Traverse that never had this issue and used it in the same manner. As an empty car, it works fine. There are no visible leaks from the shocks, but the bump stop is bent as it's been hit several times. This gen Traverse is heavier in the back an therefore i believe more prone to bouncing with the added weight. I also tow with the car occasionally but i didn't think it was enough to cause an issue. My guess is that the shocks/spring are too soft for the designed load limits and therefore wear out quickly. It is only annoying when i have a loaded car and i'll look to swap out the springs/shocks soon. Otherwise the car has been great and the AWD perfect for towing up a slick ramp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi - i have the same issue with my 2019 that i purchased new and have 44k on it now. I have another post that i mentioned the rear end bottoming out. I first noticed the issue with a full load of kids in the back going over a speed bump, but now it seems to happen even with 4 bags of topsoil and me alone in the car. I also had a 2016 Traverse that never had this issue and used it in the same manner. As an empty car, it works fine. There are no visible leaks from the shocks, but the bump stop is bent as it's been hit several times. This gen Traverse is heavier in the back an therefore i believe more prone to bouncing with the added weight. I also tow with the car occasionally but i didn't think it was enough to cause an issue. My guess is that the shocks/spring are too soft for the designed load limits and therefore wear out quickly. It is only annoying when i have a loaded car and i'll look to swap out the springs/shocks soon. Otherwise the car has been great and the AWD perfect for towing up a slick ramp.
Sounds exactly like mine! When it is just me and my wife it is not noticable. But anything added to the back and you can feel the bounce. I have two new rear factory shocks at home ready to go on when I find the time. I'll let you know if it is a noticable difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 we bought with 5k miles and it has been bouncy in the rear from day 1. Now at 20k, bounce hasn’t gotten worse but it’s too much for me. Did new shocks help your bounce? I don’t want to waste $200 on shocks if it’s not going to improve.

Sounds exactly like mine! When it is just me and my wife it is not noticable. But anything added to the back and you can feel the bounce. I have two new rear factory shocks at home ready to go on when I find the time. I'll let you know if it is a noticable difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2021 we bought with 5k miles and it has been bouncy in the rear from day 1. Now at 20k, bounce hasn’t gotten worse but it’s too much for me. Did new shocks help your bounce? I don’t want to waste $200 on shocks if it’s not going to improve.
Hey! It did definitely improve the bounce in the rear end. Since we installed the new rear shocks, we have driven with 7 passengers on a few occasions and towed a 3000 lb trailer. The ride was perfect in both instances. Hopefully it could help you as well. I did put OEM ACDELCO shocks on, not aftermarket. There may be good aftermarket options, but I didnt go that route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey! It did definitely improve the bounce in the rear end. Since we installed the new rear shocks, we have driven with 7 passengers on a few occasions and towed a 3000 lb trailer. The ride was perfect in both instances. Hopefully it could help you as well. I did put OEM ACDELCO shocks on, not aftermarket. There may be good aftermarket options, but I didnt go that route.
Only thing I can find is Delco shocks right now.. since I’m still under warranty I’ll try taking it in and see what they say.
Appreciate the response, will reply with the outcome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The shock and strut aftermarket is practically nonexistent for the 2018 and later Traverse. I've looked at high end suspension makers as well as the OTC units at your local Auto Zone. Just isn't there. Anyway, one of the few complaints I have about my 2019 is a too plush, cushy, bouncy ride. I installed SuperSprings front and rear coil spring spacers. Jury is still out on this add-on. It seems to make a difference on the smaller bumps, but the large bridge transitions in our area are still almost bottoming my suspension out. They may help with towing also, but I don't tow, so no input there.

·
Registered
2019 Premier
3 Posts
The shock and strut aftermarket is practically nonexistent for the 2018 and later Traverse. I've looked at high end suspension makers as well as the OTC units at your local Auto Zone. Just isn't there. Anyway, one of the few complaints I have about my 2019 is a too plush, cushy, bouncy ride. I installed SuperSprings front and rear coil spring spacers. Jury is still out on this add-on. It seems to make a difference on the smaller bumps, but the large bridge transitions in our area are still almost bottoming my suspension out. They may help with towing also, but I don't tow, so no input there.
Ed999
I've done the searching for suspension parts as well with no real luck. My Premier is AWD. They don't have super springs listed for awd, only fwd. Is yours awd and if so, which model # did you use? The supersprings helped a good bit with my 2013 Santa Fe. Curious as to your continued experience and thoughts on them for the Traverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ed999
I've done the searching for suspension parts as well with no real luck. My Premier is AWD. They don't have super springs listed for awd, only fwd. Is yours awd and if so, which model # did you use? The supersprings helped a good bit with my 2013 Santa Fe. Curious as to your continued experience and thoughts on them for the Traverse.
I am having the same issues with my 2017 Traverse AWD with 27,000 miles. I have contacted every well known aftermarket manufacturer and no one has anything for the 2nd gen Traverse. I have never had this problem with any vehicle with this extremely low miles. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

what part number and where did you purchase the super springs?

I would really hate to replace everything with stock if it is just going to do the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts