Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dealership is telling me a new Ignition Coil for Cylinder #1 that have to remove the Intake Manifold? Does that seem correct?

Does anyone know where Cylinder #1 is located on the engine?

Also, They just replaced the Bank 1 Catalytic Converter 2 weeks ago. Could this of caused it to fail?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
On the 1st gen 3.6.

5 6
3 4
1 2
Front of engine

front of engine is the side with the serpentine belt. so Cylinder 1 is up against the firewall.

Bank 2 is the side closest to the radiator. So Bank 1, is the exhaust side closest to firewall.
Yes- a bad coil/plug can damage CATs.

Usually you can get to plugs on the side closest to the radiator.
I Just changed plugs on my 2013 3.6L V6 Equinox as I was about to hit 100,000......
It was required to remove the intake to get at coils and plugs.
The coils are pretty long- and requires a bolt to be undone. You need room to be able to pull them up and out, which is hard to do with the intake and firewall in the way.
I would think the 2nd Gens are similar in tight space. You can see the long coil in the last picture.
On a side note- Im at 163,000 on my Traverse, still on the factory coils.
On the Equinox, I did not replace the coils.
Both vehicles, I did not reuse the intake manifold gasket. I bought a new gasket.

this was my Traverse at 100,000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealership is telling me a new Ignition Coil for Bank #1 that have to remove the Intake Manifold? Does that seem correct?

Does anyone know where Cylinder #1 is located on the engine?
Also, They
On the 1st gen 3.6.

5 6
3 4
1 2
Front of engine

front of engine is the side with the serpentine belt. so Cylinder 1 is up against the firewall.

Bank 2 is the side closest to the radiator. So Bank 1, is the exhaust side closest to firewall.

I Just changed plugs on my 2013 3.6L V6 Equinox as I was about to hit 100,000......
The coils are pretty long- and requires a bolt to be undone. You need room to be able to pull them up and out, which is hard to do with the intake and firewall in the way.
I would think the 2nd Gens are similar in tight space. You can see the long coil in the last picture.
Both vehicles, I did not reuse the intake manifold gasket. I bought a new gasket.

On the 1st gen 3.6.

5 6
3 4
1 2
Front of engine

Thanks for this response. GM had to replace the bad Cat converter 2 weeks ago because of a crack in the weld. I wonder if the Bad Cat could have caused the coil to go bad?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Personnal opinion, cat damage the coil--- most likely not.

Reactions: Smith035
1 - 4 of 4 Posts