Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've spent the last hour combing through posts about seat swaps, but have been unable to find the exact answer to my question. My wife and I have a two year old and are expecting twins in a month. We are eyeing Traverse LT leather models and would prefer an 8 passenger configuration, but finding an 8 passenger/bench seat model is proving very difficult.

In light of that, what we are thinking of doing is buying a 7 seat model with captain's chairs. I would like to purchase and install a middle bench seat from a salvage yard, as it will seat a toddler seat and two infant car seats for at least the next two years. When my two year old is a little older, I would like to reinstall the captain's chairs in a couple of years or so.

Has anyone done a captain-to-bench swap in a 2018-2020 Traverse and are there any issues besides the carpet that have come up (air bag sensors, bolt locations, etc.) I've noticed many posts regarding first gen Traverse swaps, but not many with regard to second gen swaps.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Captains chairs are the best option for kids as they provide access to the rear at anytime. Sorry can't help with swap but it's should be straight forward aa others have done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
^^^
x2 on that.
I can understand why you'd want the bench...it's a big seat! We had a rental '20 with it and had all 3 kids across and while it seemed nice/convenient...it also left them right next to each other & fighting, lol.
I thought I really wanted the bench too when we bought our '18, but the 3rd row accessibility (sliding the bench) wasn't too reliable it seemed. It worked, but kinda janky IMO. The one we almost bought was factory fresh & had issues. It wasn't sliding forward properly.
We went with the captain's chairs instead on the '18 and our '20 too, and it worked out better IMO (3 kids here).

If you saw the other thread....the other issue is that the bench seat will only have fabric/cloth. The bench seat wasn't available with Leather...so it won't match the rest of your interior.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unless you find one who opted for the aftermarket leather from Katz skin like my 2011.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Compact car

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I've spent the last hour combing through posts about seat swaps, but have been unable to find the exact answer to my question. My wife and I have a two year old and are expecting twins in a month. We are eyeing Traverse LT leather models and would prefer an 8 passenger configuration, but finding an 8 passenger/bench seat model is proving very difficult.

In light of that, what we are thinking of doing is buying a 7 seat model with captain's chairs. I would like to purchase and install a middle bench seat from a salvage yard, as it will seat a toddler seat and two infant car seats for at least the next two years. When my two year old is a little older, I would like to reinstall the captain's chairs in a couple of years or so.

Has anyone done a captain-to-bench swap in a 2018-2020 Traverse and are there any issues besides the carpet that have come up (air bag sensors, bolt locations, etc.) I've noticed many posts regarding first gen Traverse swaps, but not many with regard to second gen swaps.

Thanks in advance!
I love how everyone that replied tried to talk u into the captains chairs... I, too, am interested in the bench seat for similar reasons and having a difficult time finding info. Did you try it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm on the hunt for a bench seat myself (to swap out the captain chairs) for my 2020....I'll update if I go through with it.
I'm thinking it'll be a straight out swap though

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on the hunt for a bench seat myself (to swap out the captain chairs) for my 2020....I'll update if I go through with it.
I have 2018 traverse bench seat (black) wanting to switch to captain chairs. let me know if you’re interested in a swap.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For anyone wondering....I pulled the captain's chair seats out of my '20 LT Cloth and just like I imagined....the bolt holes ARE there for the bench seats. They were just covered up with a thin piece of sound deadening material.
Obviously, if you swap the seat though, you'd have to cut a hole in the carpet for the bolt holes for the track to lay properly.

Seats removed:
5DF456CF-56B9-4B5F-828A-8FFB50CA6E37 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Rear one:
9C77A7C4-8672-4821-A65C-64D158298568 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

000D6335-46A6-44EE-8D1B-5675D2420055 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Front one:
AF63C3F0-E85C-4F18-A38D-CF395D66D06E by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,
I’m actually looking to swap out my bench seat in my 2020 traverse for bucket seats. Would you be open to trading? If so, what area are you located? I’m in Illinois. Please let me know. Thank you

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey there,
I’m actually looking to swap out my bench seat in my 2020 traverse for bucket seats. Would you be open to trading? If so, what area are you located? I’m in Illinois. Please let me know. Thank you
I'm open to it! (y)
I have a 2 month old '21 LT with Jet Black cloth interior captain seats & I'm in southeast Michigan.

let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m not sure if 2017 is compatible the model changed in 2018 I would like to find a captain chair to swap for a bench seat also and I am in Florida
I'm talking to a mechanic about it now if you would shoot me your year make and model and we can make this a plan!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 LT traverse and want to switch to the captain seats if anyone is interested in trading im near Punxsutawney PA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts