Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all of the forums and didn't really get an answer to my question...
It's obvious that my Traverse has windows that are factory darkened to a certain degree with the rear windows considerably darker than the front driver and passenger windows.
I am in Ohio and I know that in my state the law says 50% on the front door windows and any darkness is allowed in all of the other windows.
My question is this..:
Does anyone know what percentage the front windows are darkened to from the factory...?
I would also like to know if the factory tint doesn't really matter if I were to go to a tint shop to get my windows done and I could just get the shop to tint them at 50%.?
Attached is a picture of what it looks like from the factory...
Thoughts......

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually the percentage is between 18-20% by factory. If you take you ride to the tint shop, they can use Meter to let you know the exact measure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Usually the percentage is between 18-20% by factory. If you take you ride to the tint shop, they can use Meter to let you know the exact measure.

Thanks so much....
I kinda thought that a shop could do that but I was curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went thru this with my 2011 Traverse. Felt kinda stupid going to a tint shop when the windows (including power sunroof & the 'moonroof' thing above the rear passenger area) were already tinted. But I found out that the factory tinting is just that --tinting-- & that it provides very little UV protection.

UV protection may not be a big deal for you in Ohio, but I'm out in the Mojave Desert (Las Vegas). Perhaps it was typical trickery & deceit, but the tint shop demonstrated with a heat lamp how the factory tinting really didn't do much to block UV/heat, whereas their 3M film to block UV (& with various degrees of tinting available) did, so it cost me a couple hours & around $300 but the UV-film with a little extra tinting seemed worth it.

A bonus of the extra tinting on the windows is it makes it harder for a criminal to see into my car & determine if it's occupied or not, and to see what sort of treasures may be contained within.

Tinting place told me that some customers want tinting above & beyond the legal limit for the state, & the tinting shop would do it but only after the vehicle owner signed a waiver.

My biggest concern with the UV/tint film was that it'd eventually bubble, scratch, etc. & look bad, but it's been a couple years now & that hasn't happened. I had UV film put on the front windshield and yes, if you look hard & think about it, you can notice a slight distortion in distant/small objects but after a few days, you get used to it.

I did go to a professional, well-respected business that had a real shop & solely did UV/tinting & used the more expensive, high-quality film. I think the bubbling, scratching issues mostly happen with the do-it-yourself & 'MAKE EXTRA $$ FROM HOME, TINTING CAR WINDOWS!' type of operations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went thru this with my 2011 Traverse. Felt kinda stupid going to a tint shop when the windows (including power sunroof & the 'moonroof' thing above the rear passenger area) were already tinted. But I found out that the factory tinting is just that --tinting-- & that it provides very little UV protection.

UV protection may not be a big deal for you in Ohio, but I'm out in the Mojave Desert (Las Vegas). Perhaps it was typical trickery & deceit, but the tint shop demonstrated with a heat lamp how the factory tinting really didn't do much to block UV/heat, whereas their 3M film to block UV (& with various degrees of tinting available) did, so it cost me a couple hours & around $300 but the UV-film with a little extra tinting seemed worth it.

A bonus of the extra tinting on the windows is it makes it harder for a criminal to see into my car & determine if it's occupied or not, and to see what sort of treasures may be contained within.

Tinting place told me that some customers want tinting above & beyond the legal limit for the state, & the tinting shop would do it but only after the vehicle owner signed a waiver.

My biggest concern with the UV/tint film was that it'd eventually bubble, scratch, etc. & look bad, but it's been a couple years now & that hasn't happened. I had UV film put on the front windshield and yes, if you look hard & think about it, you can notice a slight distortion in distant/small objects but after a few days, you get used to it.

I did go to a professional, well-respected business that had a real shop & solely did UV/tinting & used the more expensive, high-quality film. I think the bubbling, scratching issues mostly happen with the do-it-yourself & 'MAKE EXTRA $$ FROM HOME, TINTING CAR WINDOWS!' type of operations.
Thanks for your reply on this...
I used to live in Vegas so I know what you mean about the heat and UV protection....
Granted, we don't get the oven hot heat like Vegas does but we still have some pretty nasty days in the summer. My wife also drives UBER and anything we can do to keep the interior cooler and keep the air conditioning from having to work quite as hard, is a plus for her and the passengers.
Since Ohio doesn't have a tint limit on any windows except for the driver and passenger doors, I want to have the rears as dark as possible and the driver and passenger windows as dark as the law allows. I'm not going to chance signing a waiver to make them really dark because we can't afford her getting pulled over with her being an UBER driver.
Thanks again..

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you use an authorized tint shop and the 3M Ceramic tint, you get a lifetime warranty on it with any other authorized tint shop nationwide. So if there's any peeling, bubbling, etc, it'll be replace for free. Just need to show the card they give you or the receipt for its install.

I've had the 3M ceramic on two of my cars, first one is now 4yrs with it, not a single issue and you really do feel the difference in the sun with it. My 2018 Traverse has had it now for just about 6 months and the darker the tinter, the more it cuts back on the heat as well.

Also, the factory tint is baked into the glass, so the tint shop cannot remove it from your window, it'll be in addition to whatever you wanted applied, so it compounds and becomes darker. If the tint shop is worth their salt, they'll know how dark and what it'll look like.

FYI, 2018 Traverse with full tints on all windows (including both skylights/moonroofs, windshield, quarter panels, etc) was $600 for 3M ceramic at a professional tint shop (all they do is tint cars).

·
Registered
209 Posts
FYI, 2018 Traverse with full tints on all windows (including both skylights/moonroofs, windshield, quarter panels, etc) was $600 for 3M ceramic at a professional tint shop (all they do is tint cars).
That's not a bad price for ceramic

I paid $375 for regular tint (Solar Gard Galaxie) on all the windows (including windshield) on my 2018.
My car is a lease though and couldn't justify the investment for the ceramic

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's not a bad price for ceramic

I paid $375 for regular tint (Solar Gard Galaxie) on all the windows (including windshield) on my 2018.
My car is a lease though and couldn't justify the investment for the ceramic
It was good price. It was $500 to tint all the windows (with a sunroof) on my last car, a sedan. So $600 for the Traverse with an extra sunroof, extra rear quarter windows and larger side windows wasn't bad.

Everyone always said I was overpaying, cause they got their tints for $100-$300 for their cars, but they were only tinting their sides and/or back with regular tint and some Joe Smoe shop on a corner. Told them come back to me in a few years with your car sitting in the sun all time, their cars are the ones with the tint bubbling in their windows, peeling and changing color on them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^^^
Just curious, what state are you in?
(that plays a role too, for pricing)

In Florida or Arizona, for example, where most cars are tinted....the pricing is more competitive/cheaper since there are more shops trying to get your business

·
Registered
126 Posts
^^^
Just curious, what state are you in?
(that plays a role too, for pricing)

In Florida or Arizona, for example, where most cars are tinted....the pricing is more competitive/cheaper since there are more shops trying to get your business
NY.

Also have a tint exemption, so I can get the whole car tinted and in any percentage that I want. :devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts