Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2017 Traverse a few days ago and noticed a "mystery switch" by my right knee ( see attached ). I also noticed an extra wire and fuse within the fuse box in the engine compartment ( also see attached ). Shortly after taking possession of the Traverse I discovered that the AM radio could not receive any stations whatsoever and the FM stations were weak.

I mustered up the courage to try the mystery switch. Fortunately, when I tested the switch, the radio happened to be on and to my surprise I got much stronger reception and could get AM stations! Turns out this switch is an on/off toggle for some sort of antenna booster.

Just curious if anyone else has this configuration and whether if it is aftermarket or not? Also, why would there need to be a switch, couldn't this just stay on all of the time?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 High Country
630 Posts
Aftermarket for sure. Power for it may be tapped into a always on spot so they added a switch.
They make add a fuse adaptors to add a fused circuit into a existing fuse. All the parts stores sell them.
Just need to find a accessory switched fuse in the fuse block that is not powering a electronic module. I use them all the time to power radar detectors via a hard wire instead of power port plugs.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Registered
209 Posts
Adding to @repairman54 said:
Have to wonder if someone managed to add an aftermarket antenna signal booster for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Traverse a few days ago and noticed a "mystery switch" by my right knee ( see attached ). I also noticed an extra wire and fuse within the fuse box in the engine compartment ( also see attached ). Shortly after taking possession of the Traverse I discovered that the AM radio could not receive any stations whatsoever and the FM stations were weak.

I mustered up the courage to try the mystery switch. Fortunately, when I tested the switch, the radio happened to be on and to my surprise I got much stronger reception and could get AM stations! Turns out this switch is an on/off toggle for some sort of antenna booster.

Just curious if anyone else has this configuration and whether if it is aftermarket or not? Also, why would there need to be a switch, couldn't this just stay on all of the time?
I have a 2017 and it doesn't have the mystery switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2017 and it doesn't have the mystery switch.
Mystery fully solved! My Traverse has an aftermarket DVD player in the ceiling, that includes an FM modulator to play the sound through the factory stereo. When using this feature there was a very noticeable level of static. When I turn the "booster" switch off, the static goes away. So, the switch is in fact, the opposite of a booster, it somehow decreases the antenna's strength to remove static when using the FM modulator on the DVD player.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
thanks for the update/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts