Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know car prices are insane right now but I need to make a purchase.
Considering a 2017 Traverse AWD w/40,000 miles on it.
I've heard mixed reviews about engine and trans failures on some low mileages Traverses, which is odd because I've seen the truck ranked good in reliability.
I don't want to end up with a maintenance nightmare.
Is the 2017 Traverse a smart buy?

Thank you.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know car prices are insane right now but I need to make a purchase.
Considering a 2017 Traverse AWD w/40,000 miles on it.
I've heard mixed reviews about engine and trans failures on some low mileages Traverses, which is odd because I've seen the truck ranked good in reliability.
I don't want to end up with a maintenance nightmare.
Is the 2017 Traverse a smart buy?

Thank you.
2017 is the last year of the first generation. I would say you are pretty safe with anything '13-'17 but each year newer would make me that much more confident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I'm not buying a time bomb. Saw two mechanics online saying to avoid the Traverse/Arcadia at all costs, even the newer ones.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I'm not buying a time bomb. Saw two mechanics online saying to avoid the Traverse/Arcadia at all costs, even the newer ones.
Go over to the Piloteers forum and see how VCM has treated the '8-'15 models. And how the 9 speeds held up the first couple years. Or the infotainment issues '16-'18.

I have a feeling you will find plenty of issues on most forums, I always recommend people get the vehicle they like. If you like the Traverse more, get it. You could have a Traverse run 300,000 miles and you could have a Highlander blow up the transmission in 30 days.

We have a '14 Traverse and a '15 Pilot. We like both but the Traverse is the superior road trip and family vehicle for us without a doubt. I keep the fluid fresh in both and stay on top of any maintenance and I expect them to last.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a 2017 and so far no problems except a replacement battery under warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts