Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I just Bought a used 2017 traverse. Has 50000 miles. I noticed between 20-45 mph it hesitates bad. Has anyone had this same issue. I'm taking it to dealer thursday since I still have powertrain warranty. Any ideas what it could be? Torque Converter?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome. It could be a lot of things. Vacuum leak, bad spark plug, Transmission, etc. You are fortunate to have the warranty, hopefully the Dealer Mechanic can properly diagnose it quickly and get you back on the road. Please come back and tell us what they found to help other members here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just have the powertrain warranty left so I'm bringing it in Thursday and hope it's all covered and fixed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would think it is a transmission issue. And should be under the powertrain warranty. Is the tranny oil been changed so far? Colour, smell etc. Difficult to estimate if it has been changed since you bought it second hand. My Traverse is a 2017 also and I dont have this issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Lazysol,
You bought a beautiful car, take care of it as they suggest on these pages, start with a drain of 1/2 trans fluid ...... but I degress

My 2 cents
Is it ?? ..... the engine "stumbles" ?

Engine oil pressure is used by solenoids
to activate the variable valve timing
of valves opening and closing on the combustion chamber.
It could be the solenoid
that controls the VVT variable valve timing, has filter screens ( on the solenoid)
that are plugged with engine oil gunk.

When you step on it, and vvt solenoids are electrically energized,
The engine oil, and subsequent oil pressure, to move the intake vvt valves
is SLOW in flowing thru the plugged screen cloth on solenoid
And engine oil pressure is not able to activate the solenoid, the solenoid which advances engine timing,
fast enough..... hence a stumble.

There is a recent post on this forum, called
"Traverse Stumbles on light acceleration No Codes"
where a brilliant "testbob" disassembled
Then cleaned the filter screens on the 2 solenoids....
( one solenoid controls the intake valves, the other solenoids controls the exhaust valves)
He actually has 2 separate posts on the same topic, look for them, read his comment and his solution,
he fixed his problem.

Here is One post

His 2nd post is a detailed summary of his findings.
That ^^ is probably root cause.... but WHO KNOWS??
( let us know)
If oil is restricted from flowing through the " cigar Band" filters on vvt solenoids
then SLOW response time on vvt advancement....and stumbles
I will guess....
the previous owner did not change the oil frequently enough... he probably follows the oil life monitor system.....
And
...he probably used 50/50 dexos oil....
Instead use 100% synthetic oil, that is dexos approved
(I use penzoil platinum)
And change oil every 5000 miles or before engine oil life monitor says 33 percent
And don't forget

Gdi engines will burn oil
Check your oil level every other gas fill.....

That ^^^ better quality 100% synthetic oil
flows thru the cigar and filters on vvt solenoids faster and thus activates the solenoids faster.

Oh.....
If you want your traverse to last a very long time
And you should
It is a beautiful car ( learn about LSPI)
Get a catch can installed on your dirty side PCV system ( only)

I recommend the elite e2x catch can with a drain for easy draining, only 2 elbows sticking out of the top, for less then $150. Plumb the drain hose straight down under your car, so it is easiest to drain.

And ......

Get the $80 vented oil cap from c-f-m it will keep your clean side PCV system and airbox ( between air filter and throttle body) clean of oil and other crankcase gunk.

If the previous owner did not change oil frequently enough......
What other preventative maintenance should you do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that is great info. Thanks alot. That last part sorry not a mechanic but love to do my own work I have no idea what you are talking about. Lol catch can and lspi.. etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok I just Bought a used 2017 traverse. Has 50000 miles. I noticed between 20-45 mph it hesitates bad. Has anyone had this same issue. I'm taking it to dealer thursday since I still have powertrain warranty. Any ideas what it could be? Torque Converter?
next to the possibility of a mechanical problem, I had something like that when I bought the 2009 traverse from the trailblazer.
the traverse uses a computer controlled transmission the has a goal of fuel economy not power. you will have more power from a stop to accelerate than if you slow down than accelerate because the tranny in high gear until you are at full stop. this is why the new 1500 pickups are not good for plowing. it takes a little training to stop the car at intersections and may be a little safer too. or just wait a little at slow speed until the tranny catches up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts