Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried searching the internet and this forum with no luck. I have a 2017 traverse that started to leak coolant 2 days ago. I first noticed a small amount in the street and then again that evening in the garage. I crawled under the car and it is leaking dead center towards the front of the car. I let the car sit over night and checked the coolant level the next morning when cold and it was about 1/4 of a bottle low. So I added coolant and got under the car again. It leaks with the car off and cold so no pressure on it. I am having trouble figuring out where it is coming from. Almost looks to me like the head or block is cracked but I can’t tell. Car has 73K miles so I can’t imagine it should be doing this. It just started so I know it has not over heated or been low on coolant. I will say 3 months ago I had to pay GM $1100 to fix the leaking timing cover and now this. This car is killing me. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Check the engine coolant temperature sensor, I just replaced mine this weekend. It is located just above the exhaust manifold, a couple inches left of center. Basically the oil filter is below the manifold in the same location. There is a wire with silver foil shielding around it, if you pull the shielding back the sensor screws into the block. My old sensor had signs of coolant on the outside of it but I never lost enough to notice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to update this post. So it was not the cooling temp switch. I had the car towed to the dealer. After 3 days they have finally determined that the block is cracked. They can’t explain why. Says this just happens. I can’t find anything on this on the web. I know this is not normal. Engine blocks should not crack. I feel like this had to be a defect from when the block was made. Right now they are wanting $7400 to replace with new motor. I feel like GM should help take care of this. Does anyone know if they could have caused this when they pulled the timing cover?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would fill it full of stop leak and trade it off. Failing that , did you contact GM about it? Or see another dealer. They can mess up diagnosis too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info.
I am going up there tomorrow to discuss with them. Plan to have them so me the leak. Based off what I was seeing at the house I believe it is cracked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Plymouthcranbroo and trade it in after you put in the stop leak. IMO, no reason to keep it. However, I had my engine replaced by a local engine swap garage, great ratings, for half of a regular shop. They specialized in this. My daughter was listening to the radio very loud coming home from school and didn't pay attention to the oil gauge or red and yellow dash lights and threw a bearing in v6 GMC 94 Highrider. It a separate oil filter and the one of lines bursted and oil everywhere...she drove it empty and finally gave out about 1/2 mile after the oil was gone. If you can find such a special garage the just removes and replaces that might be an option. They turned it around in 6 days.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks
I spoke with the dealer today. The issue the block has is called Porosity. It’s a manufacturing defect that occurs when the aluminum block is casted. Basically there were air pockets in the cast that wore down over time and are now letting the coolant weep through the block. They have never seen it before. I also have a mechanic friend that has worked for GM for 20+ years and he has never seen it. It is Definitely a defect from the block manufacturer. As of now GM is offering to pay half which still leaves me with $4200 out of pocket. I am still not happy with this. They are saying the motor lasted longer then the 60K warranty so it did it’s job. This is sad if this is really going to be GM’s stance. I am working to get 100% covered. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Man this sucks. While I agree somewhat with the other recommendations I am getting to the point in my life where good karma means something and as much as I feel ZERO guilt about screwing over a con artist (I mean, dealer) but they will push it right off to another unsuspecting customer. And most people in the market for well used Traverse's aren't rolling in enough cash to take on this kind of repair.

I'm conflicted, but no doubt this situation SUCKS.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
there was a porosity issue with with the spark plug holes. oil or coolant getting in and pooling. if enough got in youd get misfires. The fix--- was to replace the heads.
Though some folks- the oil leaked in so slowly that it took many thousands of miles to accumulate enough to cause an issue.
I think it was like 80,000 + miles from those that had it...
In that case--- no need for expensive head replacement.... simply clean the spark plug hole.. and drive for another 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It is really no fun. Even if your mileage is a bit over the warranty period GM should replace the engine block at their own expenses. I have seen porosity in transmission cases sometimes but not enough to create some concerns but never in engine blocks. I have myself a 2017 that endure very cold temperatures in winter and the engine block is totally free of all porosity. Keep pushing to the limit to have the repair done free of charges. Good lucks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I seem to recall porosity problems in the Camaros in the Gen5 years (2010-2015), but I don't recall if it was with the LLT/LFX or if it was the V8. In either case, it was aluminum block. For dealer and GM to say they have never heard of it is misleading if not down right untruthful. The block isn't a wear item, per se, except for the cylinder linings. I would place it in the same category as a frame or unibody coming apart in some place other than the welds. For them to not warranty the block against this type of defect is unethical. JMHO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another option. Find a lawyer who works on this type of issue. Often a letter or two can work wonders. I had to do that with a Dealer in Wi. After the letter arrived they hurt themselves to solve my problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would go to the next level. Dealer agrees it's a defect. That's admitting it's not your fault. Maybe they take more off or concede and it's free... Go District and above.
Good luck.
BTW, isn't there a 100k mile driveline warranty or did I have to many beers...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would go to the next level. Dealer agrees it's a defect. That's admitting it's not your fault. Maybe they take more off or concede and it's free... Go District and above.
Good luck.
BTW, isn't there a 100k mile driveline warranty or did I have to many beers...

They were nice enough to cut the powertrain warranty to 60K starting in '16.

I agree a block porosity issue is a defect and GM should make this right. I'd definitely take it up the chain with customer service if the dealer can't do better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts