Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep very detailed mileage records on all my cars. I do a mixture of city and highway driving, but mostly city (perhaps 60-40 balance).

So after 12385 miles my 2017 LT-1 on average I'm getting almost 16 mpg. Not bad and I'm satisfied with that. But here is the strange part. If I break it down by city/highway, city, and just highway, my highway mileage does not come close to the EPA rating which I compare to.

Here is snapshot of my spreadsheet. The best I ever achieved on the highway is close to 90%. Whereas on city and combo I have exceeded the EPA rating on several occasions. My instinct's tell me that the city driving should be low and the highway should be over the EPA rating. I usually cruise at about 60 to 65mph. True if I reset the mileage minder to zero on each highway drive I'll get close to 20mpg but never the 22 as rated.

Any thoughts? Just curious.

On all my other cars (be it Fords or GMC brands) I can almost always beat the highway rated MPGs.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Can you verify what your RPMs are at 60.
Possible youre not going into 6th.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RPM's seem normal. Below 60 I'm usually under 2000. At 65 to 70 I range at about 2500 to 2700 rpm. I think that's typical. Engine temp is a steady 270. Everything runs fine.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
If I recall correctly- @ 70 MPH, im at about 1800 RPM.
Normal engine temp on the gauge should be near 210.
when using a scan tool- you may actually see about 195-200.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
found a post I made....for my 2010.

Jul 18, 2013 just got off the highway.
Did a quick look

at 60- about 1550 RPM.
at 65- about 1600 RPM
at 70- about 1750 RPM

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
data I gathered from my OBD port.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
here are my shift points when driving down the street. In no hurry.

Ill shift into 5th gear at 41 mph.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mistake, 210 is the temp not 270. And I'm off on the RPM's also. Once I'm up to speed it hovers just below 2000.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In my "extremely humble opinion" 16mpg really stinks. Mileage on my 15 LS with 56k is between 16.9 & 18.7. Understand that it is a big, heavy vehicle........ but...... gotta a 97 Plymouth G.V. with 285k and a 41te tranny that still gets 19 to 21mpg.

Live 1 1/2 miles from interstate and 10 miles,minimum, from town. So most of the driving is around 75mph, average.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to agree with you on that point. At least on the highway driving. Keep in mind if I reset the mileage to zero prior to a highway trip I record 20 mpg, but can't get that 22 mpg that EPA says I should. But in the overall average of city, city/highway combo I exceed the EPA rating (during summer months, in winter it never exceeds EPA). I find this car to be OK for good weather driving but it's not a cold weather car. Overall I have an average mileage of 16mpg.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are U running A/C? Down here A/C begins late April thru Sept. Has an "effect" on mpg., how much? Anywhere from 1/2 mile to 1 1/2 mile per gallon, depending on the vehicle.

If memory serves, believe I got "North" of 19mpg last winter, no A/C.

Oldest son bought a new 13; got 16 to 17 mpg..... sold it.

OH, while I'm in a bitchey mood this car is the hardest to back up of any vehicle I've ever owned. Seems like I set in a "hole" with numerous blind spots on either side. And the backup camera??? Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust it at all.

That being said I can set the cruise on 80 or 85, sit back and relax, runs very well on trips.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I use the A/C. Now days who doesn't?

I have to temper my dislike for this car. In actuality the car is good. It doe the job it's intended to do (mainly towing a trailer several times a year). But it's just not me. Plus I had a bad experience with the dealer. Originally I wanted a Ford. But when I started looking for a car the Ford sticker price scared me off. Since I had a Chevy van that I loved, I thought I could get the next closest thing to it by buying a Chevy SUV. The thing is, what I paid for this Travesty, I could've bought a Ford! ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
RE: A/C....didn't know it got that hot way up there.

Was offered a job in Syracuse in the winter....No way. Gets below 70......... I'm cold.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Srwa: with the kind of weather you have in TX this summer ( over 90 Far every days ) I agree with you that it is difficult to Accept 70 degree . Just the electricity bill alone to run the 2 ac's at home is enough to get unhappy with the amount every months.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Capucine: We have "deregulated" electricals where I live. I can pick from over 300 "electric providers". I change electric providers about every 3 to 9 months.

My average price per kwh is between $.065 & $.076/kwh. Last bill was $133.00 for 1710 kwh.....that was for 23 days since I just changed providers. Normal billing period is 30 to 31 days. At the kwh rate per day I'm using had the bill been for 31 days bill would have been $175 + change.

This is for a 2000 sq./ft. total elec. house with a 4 ton heat pump with 20kw strips plus two 40 gal elec. water heaters. These 2 items consume tween 2/3 & 3/4 of the kwh/mo.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Apologize for the off topic post.

Bought this 15LS with 44k+ miles in May of 18 from an "internet dealership"....didn't even know there was such an animal. This "dealership" was in a warehouse district in Mansfield Tx. Probably couldn't find it again if I wanted to. Bought it "right.........." still "right" side up.

Bottom line; gonna keep it till there are some major tranny or engine problem. The "shop" manuals,which there are either 4 or 5, are over $450 at this time. Not gonna pay that.

So, if something major goes wrong and I can't fix via U Tube it goes on the market.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Capucine: We have "deregulated" electricals where I live. I can pick from over 300 "electric providers". I change electric providers about every 3 to 9 months.

My average price per kwh is between $.065 & $.076/kwh. Last bill was $133.00 for 1710 kwh.....that was for 23 days since I just changed providers. Normal billing period is 30 to 31 days. At the kwh rate per day I'm using had the bill been for 31 days bill would have been $175 + change.

This is for a 2000 sq./ft. total elec. house with a 4 ton heat pump with 20kw strips plus two 40 gal elec. water heaters. These 2 items consume tween 2/3 & 3/4 of the kwh/mo.
Hope your price can stay low. Spot market prices for electricity was $9,000/MWhr last week during the hot spell. Normal price is around $35-50/MWhr.

https://www.axios.com/summer-price-spikes-are-a-feature-of-texas-power-market-not-a-bug-29638cbc-524c-4ff0-8604-9414a22fe89b.html

·
Registered
213 Posts
Demand has to be due to population explosion. Very mild summer,so far.

Had 11-- 100+ degree days up to this point,were as 18 are normal.

9 grand/MWHR is obscene. Guess I'll get a large generator.....Fuel is $2.049/gal.........today. Been steadily going down of late.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Our relative live in San Antonio. 2 story large house. One ac for the first floor and one for the second story. Both ac's are running non stop in order to cope with this very hot summer. Electricity bill for one month. $300. USD.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts