Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 2016 traverse and the transmission idle hot came on dash. Then car begin to jerk very badly! I pulled over and turned car off! I tried restarting it, thought maybe because it was hot outside that it may have over heated and needed to cool off! The car did start but wouldn’t move! I called the tow truck and realized there was a puddle under my car, I’m thinking it was the transmission fluid! I’m hoping that I won’t have to replace the entire transmission but only the fluid and get wherever it was leaking from patched up! Has this happened to anyone? Please help

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Can't speak to the cause, or what fix will be, but you were supposed to idle it, not turn it off. Per the Owners Manual:

TRANSMISSION HOT IDLE
ENGINE

This message displays and a chime
sounds if the transmission fluid in
the vehicle gets hot. Driving with the
transmission fluid temperature high
can cause damage to the vehicle.
Stop the vehicle and let it idle to
allow the transmission to cool. This
message clears when the fluid
temperature reaches a safe level.

This is the only transmission-related message I see, though, so if you had a real leak, you may done the right thing as it would not have cooled off without fluid. I would have checked the puddle to see if it was antifreeze or transmission fluid.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
well, if the liquid was red, it was the trans fluid.
Guessing maybe one of the trans fluid cooling lines leaked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep us updated Sparkle.
I had this message pop up as well but no jerking from the vehicle. I was driving for several hours on the interstate. I noticed that the trans almost NEVER shifted to 6th gear. Always at high RPMs in 4th and 5th.
After a few hours of that the message "Trans Hot Idle Engine" popped up. I had to leave the interstate and let the vehicle cool down a little. I carried on and had to idle engine a few more times before making it home.
Really slowed me down.
No fluid loss on my side though. The dealership can't do anything about it b/c it doesn't throw up any codes.
I did end up changing my Trans Fluid out, funny thing though, the entire 9 qts came out when I removed the drain plug under the trans. Only 4-5 qts should have come out. So something strange with my 2016 Traverse.
Curious what happens with you. Maybe similar to me.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sparkle. Your vehicle is still under the 5 years powertrain warranty. You should not have to pay nothing for the repair except the oil to refill the tranny. Can you give us an update on your issue and how it was resolved?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sparkle. Our 2015 is at the dealership with same thing happened. Its a GM design issue. I had metal shavings in torque converter. Bad flaw on tranny design & a part (clutch disc type part) in the transmission called a " (35R) wave plate", that GM has never recalled (probably never will). Long story short, you will need to have the tranny taken out & rebuilt with a new aftermarket wave plate kit (made of billet steel, not the cheap ass steel GM used for the original one that warps & breaks) & new torque converter. I'd encourage you to try to use the Mobile 1 full sunthetic transmission fluid. Not cheap at $12 a quart. AND make sure you add an "EXTERNAL TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER" to your transmission after rebuild. THAT is the fix to the to the tranny fluid overheating issue. Look up " Traverse transmission problems on YouTube" & you'll find more information. In the meantime, I'll keep waiting on my 2015 traverse to be done. GM agreed to pay only 60% of all the costs for parts n labor. So I'm most likely getting rid of it & selling it to buy either a Toyota Highlander or 4Runner. Its been paid for since after a year of buying it, & I'll never buy another new GM vehicle again.

So take yours to a good reliable transmission shop. They'll most likely already know about the issue & the fix for it. Make sure you tell them you want to add an external transmission cooler to your tranny if you plan on keeping it. I think FlexALite makes one specifically for your vehicle. But theres other manufacturers out there that are all good like Haynes. Look at the videos below & look up the above on YouTube so you dont get the shaft like I did.

Watch "Chevy traverse transmission slipping? Do this before it’s too late" on YouTube

Watch "Stop GM 6T40 & 6T70 3-5-R Failure with Sonnax Drum Saver Kits" on YouTube

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Vicjr: I believe the 35R waveplate issue was only on early Gen 1's, 2009-2010, as I recall. Bad batch of Chinese waveplates. I don't recall ever hearing of a bad waveplate in anything after, maybe, 2012. With a 2015, you may be suffering from an entirely different issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, O'Rielly Chevrolet rebuilt the transmission on our 2015 Traverse as I mentioned on a previous post. Well, guess what?: 12,000 miles after the rebuild, the tranny is started to occasionally slip going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I took it back to O'Rielly & I told them the wave plate is probably starting to "go out" on it again. Took the transmission guy named Paul on a road drive to show him & he saw it. We replicated the issue. So he said they were going to drain the fluid to check the condition on it & then do a "Re-Learn" procedure on the computer. Well, I was told that the fluid they drained still looked new and had no debris in it. But they took out the old fluid & put in new fluid.

I went to pick it up from them & I thought the problem was fixed because I did notice an improvement in shifting. So I swapped vehicles (I took the rental car & let my wife drive the traverse) with the wife.

The next day, I noticed it starting to do it again, not all the time again. I called O'Rielly back and told them about the problem. I requested they get me a new (they said GM doesn't make them new, only rebuilt), remanufactured, or rebuilt transmission straight from GM, because their rebuild was apparently not holding up. So right now I'm waiting for service manager Ann Edwards to speak to the service Director to see how they are going to resolve the problem.

It's not like I really want to be having this issue with our traverse just for the sake of wanting to keep bothering the dealership. I just want things made right by the dealership. I can only speculate what is causing this problem. But wouldn't it just make sense to swap out the tranny with another one yhsn to waste labor hours rebuilding it & run the possibility of the rebuild not coming out right again. I'm not asking for another transmission just for the heck of getting a "new but rebuilt" tranny. I just want my traverse transmission to function correctly and shift as it should.

I've pondered the idea in my head of " what if they add/put a transmission cooler AND/OR use a higher quality synthetic transmission fluid (Amsoil, Kendall, Mobil 1, or Royal Purple?) than what the dealership uses. I wonder if that would fix the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts