Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, afterany issue when buying this car and it being fixed by car shop I for the past few months noticed the temp sensor usually sits at 210. We have noticed it goes slightly above that and then back to normal. I have changed just the thermostat and it got worse, to where I bought the thermostat and housing from Chevy. Just replaced it and it's still doing the same issue. I am not sure if this is normal or needs to be addressed. I noticed the upper hose is warm to the touch after driving 20 minutes, and the lower hose coming from the thermostat is warm it seems from the engine temp. I am thinking it might be the water pump?? Any ideas suggestions or help would be amazing.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Have you checked for proper coolant level when cold at the radiator fill neck?
Could be air pockets. And a weep hole leak from pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked for proper coolant level when cold at the radiator fill neck?
Could be air pockets. And a weep hole leak from pump.
Thank you for the reply so quick it's much appreciated after the replacement of the thermostat and housing from Chevy I drove it to the auto parts store cuz I broke an emission sensor I live up on a mountain and as I was driving there it was a constant 210 once I started going up the mountain to my house it went well beyond 210 it was around 2:30 to 40 stopped the car checked it took the cap off checked for air bubbles let it ran put the cap off for about a half hour drove it for 10 minutes now it's sitting waiting I'm hoping that there's more air bubbles in there. The overfill is at the halfway mark so I know where it is if it sucks more ready to fluid into the radiator and the radiator itself was full.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
Ok, keep monitoring.
When i worked on my thermostat, i monitored for 1 week. Kept adding in the morning, for maybe 3 to 4 days...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
This guy just replaced his t-stat and had issues with a connector. Maybe you have a connector that didn't get back together correctly. Maybe for the fans? Maybe they aren't working correctly.

See post #4 here where I provided the wiring diagrams and an explanation of how they work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I removed, was the radiator cap (to add fluids) the hose going into The thermostat housing the two hoses coming off of the back of the thermostat housing and the lower radiator hose to drain the fluid. Put everything back together the same way it was before I started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thermostat is from Chevy, as is the cap. Drove my son maybe 15 miles to and from school, came up my hill and the car was at the thin line above the 210 mark below the thicker line. I am baffled and no idea where to go from here, except to a radiator shop to see if they can do something. My friend has one of those good code scanners and we did notice the gauge and the actual temp is off by a few degrees. He said the thermostat opens at about 227°. I just felt both hoses and they were warm and hard to touch so I'm guessing the water pump is working. I marked the overflow to see if there might be more bubbles in the system and it pulls some fluid in. Standing in front of the car the big fan on the left is blowing hot air towards the engine, the smaller fan on the right is blowing out cold air towards the fan both fans are spinning in the same direction.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The best way to check for any airflow obstructions is to remove the front fascia. It takes about 15 mins to do. A simpler way if you don't want to remove the entire thing, remove the U-shaped black plastic piece that's under the hood. That will give you a pretty good visual to see if there are any obstructions in airflow across the condenser.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So having the one line that needs replacing, might be a contributing factor to the over heating? So check and see if it has any air flow issues. Also I will get that hose replaced asap. There is a high pressure hose place 30 min from me, instead of spending $200+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts