Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used 2016 LT. On a whim, I stopped at O’Reilly’s to get a replacement rear wiper blade. I mentioned to the counter guy that I wasn’t sure how to replace the blade. He offered to come out to the lot and show me how. He proceeded to grab the right tee assembly with both hands and bend it out away from the window to about a 45-degree angle, saying this was how you got more access to the actually blade. When I pointed out that he bent the assembly housing and flaked the paint off, he said he had done lots and this was how it was done. I made him quit, because it didn’t seem like bending the assembly and flaking the paint off was the right method. When I got home, not a single YouTube video recommended bending the assembly away from the window. So, has anyone seen this method, and is it “right”? I’m left with a wiper assembly that is bent and doesn’t appear to be touching the window in the same manner as before. My question is this: is the assembly made to be bent out away from the window, or did this guy screw up my wiper assembly?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:eek: I'm afraid to hear what this outcome is. Seems to me he bent the arm rather than flexing a designed pivot point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out and removed the wiper assembly and here's what happened:
The counter guy bent the assembly out away from the window in the direction of the blue arrow, around the pivot point indicated by the red arrow, to the point where the tabs on the metal shroud indicated by the yellow boxes were eventually bent out of the way by the hooks/catches/tabs indicated by the pink boxes on the part that bolts to the motor stud. Clear as mud?
I wish I had taken pics to show the damage, but it turns out it's fixable (I grabbed the tabs in the yellow box with a pair of pliers and bent them back into place already in the pic below), save for the flaked off paint that will eventually allow water to corrode the metal shroud. But some touch-up paint will fix that. The assembly is not intended to pull away from the window anymore than about an inch. But if you can't get your finger in there to depress the release latch, a 13mm socket and ratchet makes quick work of removing the entire assembly - plus gives you access to clean and lube everything.
Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
551 Posts
These blades are the most pain in the neck things to source and replace. For years no auto part replacements were listed, the manual said to go to dealer. They are easier to obtain now.
The little black cap needs to be removed and then the arm can pivot away from the glass a few inches.
I believe Rockauto has replacement arms for $26.
My neighbors Acadia arm is hanging on with duct tape I offered to help him replace it but with 187,000 miles he may be getting a newer vehicle soon so he hasn't taken me up on the offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just remove the rear wiper arm change the wiper blade and put the whole thing back on should take 10 min max .
don't let the jerks at the auto stores do it for you

·
Registered
106 Posts
TimInOhio---Glad you were able to repair the damage he caused and get the blade changed. You've got a good, positive outlook on life! Take care!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Man that stinks... wonder how many people he's done that to. This is why I do 99% of the maintenance myself.

As others have said, the Traverse wipe arm pulls of the window a very small amount, but that is all that is needed. It took me a minute or so to complete the swap last time, my biggest issue was getting the right blade!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts