Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 Traverse front wheel drive. I did not get the more expensive tow package but I want to put a hitch on it and tow a pop up camper. I was assured by the dealer this car would pull it with no problem. My pop up has a gvwr of 2800 ibs and I seen where it says vehicle tow cap is only 2000ibs. I want to be able to take my camper with me on occasional out of state trips which are usually around 600 miles one way. Do I need to add a trans cooler or will it be ok the way it is. What else do I need to tow this camper. I prev pulled it with a 2009 dodge grand caravan with no problems.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
wheelman914 said:
I recently purchased a 2015 Traverse front wheel drive. I did not get the more expensive tow package but I want to put a hitch on it and tow a pop up camper. I was assured by the dealer this car would pull it with no problem. My pop up has a gvwr of 2800 ibs and I seen where it says vehicle tow cap is only 2000ibs. I want to be able to take my camper with me on occasional out of state trips which are usually around 600 miles one way. Do I need to add a trans cooler or will it be ok the way it is. What else do I need to tow this camper. I prev pulled it with a 2009 dodge grand caravan with no problems.
There is not a "more expensive tow package", just one package.

2,000 lbs means 2,000 lbs. to Chevrolet. At 2,800 lbs., you're exceeding factory guidelines by 40%.

Mr. Dealer was beyond his limits of accuracy, when he told you " no problem". Another example of selling a customer something, accompanied with incorrect information. Did Mr. Dealer tell you the information, shown below, in bold type ?

Any failure, as a result of exceeding the "no factory hitch package limit" can become the financial responsibility of the owner, and not the Chevrolet warranty.

If it were my decision, and it is not, I would opt for the transmission cooler. That's all you can do now, after the fact.

The factory tow package is a good investment, for the dollars charged, plus your tow rating them goes beyond 5,000 lbs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have years of experience pulling a travel trailer across the country. First remember that the gvwr of your trailer is as it sits on the factory flloor. That does NOT count propane, awning, often even the spare tire and battery, and other extras. Of course you will need your camping supplies, food, water, etc and those items can add up quick.
The type of terrain you are traveling on also should be taken into consideration, flat land, mountains etc.
You are way way over your guidelines and the dealer should have never told you what he did, but I would expect him to say anything to "make the sale" Shame on him.

All you can do now is add whatever you can to being you up close to the factory tow package, transmission cooler, bigger battery, heavy duty flashers etc.

I suggest going to a good trailer dealer and having them advise you on the proper hitch, brake controller, coolers and whatever they can do to get up and running.

Always order the towing package if you are going to tow anything. Very good insurance. Even with the factory tow package and transmission cooler installed I overheated pulling across South Dakota once.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
wheelman914: PM me with your email address and I'll send you a bunch of info on adding the tow package.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The factory tow package is only around $500 and gets you a tow rating of 5,200lbs. You are going to spend way more than $500 to add a somewhat equivalent tow package to be able to 'technically' tow the same weight but will still be left with a warrantee that only covers you for 2,000lbs.
I tow a slightly heavier popup in the mountains of Colorado with the factory package and am generally pretty happy. Only gripe I have is I wish I could manually up shift out of 2nd gear on some of the steeper mountain passes. I get 'stuck' in 2nd at about 35mph and 4,500rpm wishing it would up shift.

Scott

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Billkt said:
I have years of experience pulling a travel trailer across the country. First remember that the gvwr of your trailer is as it sits on the factory flloor. That does NOT count propane, awning, often even the spare tire and battery, and other extras. Of course you will need your camping supplies, food, water, etc and those items can add up quick.
The type of terrain you are traveling on also should be taken into consideration, flat land, mountains etc.
You are way way over your guidelines and the dealer should have never told you what he did, but I would expect him to say anything to "make the sale" Shame on him.

All you can do now is add whatever you can to being you up close to the factory tow package, transmission cooler, bigger battery, heavy duty flashers etc.

I suggest going to a good trailer dealer and having them advise you on the proper hitch, brake controller, coolers and whatever they can do to get up and running.

Always order the towing package if you are going to tow anything. Very good insurance. Even with the factory tow package and transmission cooler installed I overheated pulling across South Dakota once.
Your engine or your tranny overheated, going through South Dakota ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Your engine or your tranny overheated, going through South Dakota ?
My tranny, no serious damage but what a mess tranny fluid makes on your trailer and of course the time it took to have the unit serviced.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
You are going to spend way more than $500 to add a somewhat equivalent tow package to be able to 'technically' tow the same weight
I did it for $664.81 on my 2011 2LT. Not exactly WAY more than $500.

I pulled a 2012 Rockwood Roo hybrid for one season, about 4000 lbs. Problem is the drag, not the weight. You'll have no problem with a popup.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Billkt said:
My tranny, no serious damage but what a mess tranny fluid makes on your trailer and of course the time it took to have the unit serviced.
I always liked the idea of the tranny temp. gauge. Finger on the pulse, so to speak.

Much nicer to know the temp. was climbing, before it started squirting fluid.

Tranny temp. would climb, then pulled tranny into next lower gear ... and temp. would lower itself to a safer level.

Rented a Ford F 150, it had the tranny temp. gauge in the dash.

Would be nice if Chevy would include the tranny temp. gauge, with the "tow package" on the Traverse.

But, I do not see the Traverse as a dedicated tow vehicle, so perhaps a tranny gauge will never appear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the MAX 'trailer' weight, not to be gone over, NOT the weight of the trailer (to make it easier, what the axle(s) can carry).

Set your trailer up as you would ready to go, propane, water, and 'stuff'. See what the trailer weight is at that point. 'If' over, either leave stuff at home or start adding what you can in the Traverse. Water isn't lite, that can be the 1st thing to leave at home and not in the trailer tank (bottled water in the Traverse would be best, you should always have water). Being a popup, I don't think hitch weight (tongue weight) will be an issue.

BUT, keep in mind the max rating for a non tow package Traverse, I would bet you would be ok, because of the 'people' the Traverse can hold.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
From page 9-50 of the 2015 Traverse Owners Manual ......

Maximum trailer weight is calculated
assuming only the driver is in the
tow vehicle and it has all the
required trailering equipment. The
weight of additional optional
equipment, passengers and cargo in
the tow vehicle must be subtracted
from the maximum trailer weight.

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
The maximum GCVW (combination of Traverse and Trailer, including all passengers) is 10,250lbs for the FWD and 10,450lbs for the AWD.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
10,250 - 4,646 for FWD Traverse weight - 5,200 for loaded trailer, leaves 404 lbs for passengers and the wifes' suitcases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wheelman914 wondering what issues, if any you had, towing the pop up camper behind your traverse? Did you make any mods to the trans or radiator to accommodate?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
10,250 - 4,646 for FWD Traverse weight - 5,200 for loaded trailer, leaves 404 lbs for passengers and the wifes' suitcases.
True. But note also that most travel trailers run 12-15% tongue weight, so a trailer at 5200 lbs has a tongue weight of 624-780 lbs. Add on 75 lbs for a WDH - weight distribution hitch (which you SHOULD have) and you're looking at 699 - 855 lbs of tongue weight. I believe the OEM hitch limit is 500 lbs (should be a sticker on it), although an aftermarket one is available up to 750 lbs. Note that a WDH does NOT change the tongue weight, it only shifts its effect. So you're really limited by the tongue weight, and also by payload (around 1500 lbs) if you're loading it up with kids, wife, dog and "stuff." Note that tongue weight is included in payload. You'll find your payload on a sticker on the drivers door like this one from my 2017:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is not a "more expensive tow package", just one package.

2,000 lbs means 2,000 lbs. to Chevrolet. At 2,800 lbs., you're exceeding factory guidelines by 40%.

Mr. Dealer was beyond his limits of accuracy, when he told you " no problem". Another example of selling a customer something, accompanied with incorrect information. Did Mr. Dealer tell you the information, shown below, in bold type ?

Any failure, as a result of exceeding the "no factory hitch package limit" can become the financial responsibility of the owner, and not the Chevrolet warranty.

If it were my decision, and it is not, I would opt for the transmission cooler. That's all you can do now, after the fact.

The factory tow package is a good investment, for the dollars charged, plus your tow rating them goes beyond 5,000 lbs.
They sell an upgraded radiator for these Traverses. Its not from GM, but GM also has a "heavy duty radiator" listed in their catalig for these traverses.Let me see if I can find it in my phone. Because, first of all, I wouldn't tow with my 2015 Traverse. Had the tranny rebuilt rebuilt under "partial" warranty, & I still wouldn't trust the tranny to tow.

Here, I found it. The company is OSC Automotive. They make an upgraded radiator for your traverse. Their video sounded convincing too. I don't tow. But if i keep my wife's traverse I'm probably going to upgrade it.

Watch "OSC HD Radiators" on YouTube

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
They sell an upgraded radiator for these Traverses. Its not from GM, but GM also has a "heavy duty radiator" listed in their catalig for these traverses.Let me see if I can find it in my phone. Because, first of all, I wouldn't tow with my 2015 Traverse. Had the tranny rebuilt rebuilt under "partial" warranty, & I still wouldn't trust the tranny to tow.

Here, I found it. The company is OSC Automotive. They make an upgraded radiator for your traverse. Their video sounded convincing too. I don't tow. But if i keep my wife's traverse I'm probably going to upgrade it.

Watch "OSC HD Radiators" on YouTube
The non-V92 (non-tow package)Traverses get the standard radiator. The V92 (tow package) Traverses get the HD radiator. So as previously stated, there is NO "more expensive tow package."

That being said, I don't know if the OSC radiator is any better thermodynamically than the GM HD radiator. I suspect it's not. Remember, this guy is trying to sell you HIS radiator.

His HD radiator $175 for a 2017 Traverse. GM Parts Direct wants $195. So prices are similar. Decision is up to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts