Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2015 owner. Notice a slight vibration felt in the steering wheel above 60mph. Wheel balance? Also a steering wheel vibration felt when stopped and turning the wheel or maneuvering around a parking lot, etc. Reading other reports I'm wondering if the rack is worn or loose? I having the steering looked at on Wednesday. They seem pretty familar with Traverse's. Anything in partcular I need to have them check?

·
Registered
33 Posts
New 2015 owner. Notice a slight vibration felt in the steering wheel above 60mph. Wheel balance? Also a steering wheel vibration felt when stopped and turning the wheel or maneuvering around a parking lot, etc. Reading other reports I'm wondering if the rack is worn or loose? I having the steering looked at on Wednesday. They seem pretty familar with Traverse's. Anything in partcular I need to have them check?
I think you're on the right path with what you're suspecting. If it's a reputable mechanic, they will check all the necessary potentials. Hopefully wheel bearings are solid and everything else for you.

I had a rack with the slow leak that caused my steering wheel to make a rubbing sound in slow turns around the parking lot. 2012 Acadia. The sound happened when turning the steering wheel back and forth.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mechanic says rack is leaking into the boots. $350 for parts plus 7.5 hours labor. Should be fixed by tomorrow noon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah I think that sounds about right. I never worried about it too much cuz it wasn't leaking that much. The new owner that bought it off of me got a quote for about that too.

Is that also causing your vibration issue above 60?

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah I think that sounds about right. I never worried about it too much cuz it wasn't leaking that much. The new owner that bought it off of me got a quote for about that too.

Is that also causing your vibration issue above 60?

They think it may be a factor. It's a steady light buzzy vibration above 60 that doesn't change with vehicle speed. I'd get a rebuilt one from autozone and install it myself if it was summer and I was 20 years younger and knew what I was doing. I understand it's not an easy job. But we have a blizzard going on now here in W. Michigan and we need the vehicle now.

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well mechanic changed the "leaking" rack now it's worse than before. Really loud noise when turning to the right when stopped. Didn't do that before the change. Also he doesn't seem to understand why there was tranny fluid in it. Insisting on power steering fluid. So now I go back next wednesday. He also ordered a p.s. pump after my suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
213 Posts
It seems he is not updating himself on a regular basis. Mechanics and doctors are similar, they need to keep themselves current. The following is extracted from my owner's manual.

Font Number Pattern Symmetry Typesetting

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
213 Posts
Right. So my question is does it really make a differnce?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Check this out why GM uses ATF in the PS.

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took vehicle back in today for further troubleshooting with a possible line and pump change. Although there was nothing wrong with it this morning. But we have snow and ice covered roads here. It's not until it's fully warmed up and on dry pavement that it makes a loud noise when steering. Left 4 qts. of Dexron VI along with Haynes manual showing specification change for 2014+ models.

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That fixed it guys! He put in a new pump and high pressure hose. Along with the 2qts. of Dexron VI I insisted on. Steering is really nice and quiet now. Only concern is he used a reman. pump from Autozone rather than a new AC Delco I assumed he'd install. Enjoying our LTZ now more everyday. But what's up with lack of a glove compartment light? I see there's a cut out for one but no fixture. Heck even my '63 Corvair had one.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
2x on glove box lights lacking. Forty-seven cameras, automatic driving functions for dummies but no light in the glove box. Rant off...

• Haha
Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad yours is finally riding smooth and you got to the bottom of it. That's interesting that it actually created a shutter for what felt like an imbalance.

Interior lighting always been one of my pain points in those models. The dimly lit lighting inside is atrocious at night.

Nice little floor light would be helpful, lights for the glove box or the slider console and an upgrade for the back seat would be good. My 92 Ford f50 has lights in the bottom of the door so when you open you can actually see what you're stepping on. :)

I considered swapping for LEDs but there's probably another thread for that.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
2x on glove box lights lacking. Forty-seven cameras, automatic driving functions for dummies but no light in the glove box. Rant off...
Yeah, if it's not "high tech," the manufacturers aren't interested.

I had a 1st year Dodge Grand Caravan in 1988. You could open the rear (way back) windows electrically. Very handy. Then I had a 1993 and a 1999 and no electric rear windows. I was very disappointed. By 2006, Honda had gotten their mini-van act together and the quality difference between the Dodge and Honda was like night and day, so I got the Honda.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
827 Posts
My HC has puddle lights on the door bottoms, only good for exiting. I like the lights in the outside mirror bottoms on my Tahoe better. They come on when unlocking and are nice when approaching the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had steering Issues on my 2015... had to get the rack and pinion completely replaced. Was completely loosing steering control. Was lucky I had a good mechanic and didn't pay what i see quoted online.

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it wasn't free. Now my cruise control doesn't work. I wonder if he forgot to plug something in when he changed the rack?

2015 LTZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah it wasn't free. Now my cruise control doesn't work. I wonder if he forgot to plug something in when he changed the rack?

2015 LTZ
Think mine is an LT ... its a beast..tows my cargo trailer and little camper great but what a gas pig. The steering was an issue for quite a while..but no problems at all since i got the rack/pinion done. Poor mechanic did it twice...the first one didn't get done quite right and i almost comepletely lost steering.. he re-did it and didn't charge me a thing extra. Any idea where i can find the block heater cord. She is dead in my driveway with the nasty temperatures where i am.

·
Registered
2015 LTZ
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cruise control works. And apparently it was ok all the time. I had been tapping the middle right button expecting it engage but all it did was turn on a yellow LED. I did not realize that I must also tap the SET button for it to work. I usually drive without my reader glasses and while the instrument and dash are focused, closer stuff on the steering wheel are not. All I had been seeing is the "+" and "-" signs. But it is odd because I had been tapping those in addition to the middle switch. So maybe he did fix something he won't fess to. Regardless, it's work nicely now.

2015 LTZ

1 - 20 of 36 Posts