Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife’s traverse is having a hard time starting only after putting gas. No matter if its a small amount or a fill-up, it struggles to start immediately after, and thats the only time it struggles to start. The codes that came up are:
P0442
P0171
P0174
P0496
With so many codes coming up and with so many different articles ive read, it could be something minor or multiple things. Has anybody had the same experiences with these exact same codes simultaneously coming up? Thank you for any and all advice and input

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
the hard start after fill up is a classic sign.
Easy part to change. Takes minutes. Cheap-- about $20 for the part.

heres a how to video.
I would try changing this part- its easy and cheap. Then see what happens to the codes - and proceed from there.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
there is also another valve by the tank... that I believe may set the 496 code...
But you can test that purge valve by the throttle body.. as explained in the video above

·
Registered
57 Posts
GM has extended the warranty on the purge valve. I received a letter from GM on that couple years ago as well. I have a 2015 having the same problem. I am just waiting for the weather to get warmer before I take it down to the dealership. The code is P0496 plus two others that I can't recall. For Canadians the purge valve is over $50.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Supposedly the purge valve has been redesigned. See my story and PN here:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy the purge valve at AutoZone and it has a lifetime warranty. I've swapped it out twice already in my 2011. When it goes bad putting gas into the tank floods the engine which makes for the hard start. Floor the accelerator when you are trying to start it and it helps to clear the flooding.

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts