Traverse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I still have my cheap Amazon one from my '09 Malibu. Works fine on my fleet.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
I have one of those.
Actually I have the original.
The one made for GM dealers.
I bought mine thru the companies web site when they 1st went on sale. It was $75 or so.
But this was back in 2008 or so.
When i was having trouble relearning the tpms on our 2007 impala, and had to pay dealer $20 to relearn.
All these new ones on ebay and amazon selling for Say $10 are all chinese reverse engineered knockoffs.
And i say that because I did a how to use the new tpms tool, on the impala forum, i had pictures up.
Well many of these knockoffs are using my pictures to sell their product.... even the picture where it was representing the wrong way to use the tool.. are included in their images.
Are the products good?.
Many members on here report they work fine.
Back in 2008 or so, dealers were using their Very expensive thousand dollar tool to do resets.
Of course im sure they got dropped etc.
So when a $80 tool came out, it was a bargain. And they could buy several for in shop use, and save the expensive tool for the heavy diagnostics.

I believe this was the site..
But note its still $75.
I see they now reference counterfeits.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It appears the GM is selling for $75 the same tool that sells for $10 on Ebay & Amazon. And GM issues a warning about Chinese knockoffs...ain't that weird?

When I did a search I put in 2015 Traverse and the site I posted came up which listed this tool as # 2.

· Registered
59 Posts
I might change my mind.

Anyone got one of these?

The one I bought many years ago on Amazon for many times the price looks just like the orange ones minus the graphics. Never had a problem and use it every time I rotate or switch between summer & winter tires. Much easier and faster than using the old "let some air out" method which I believe has been phased out by most manufacturers.

When you relearn you place the black probe by the tire directly under the valve stem as that's where the sensor is.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bought this 15 in 18, have the tires rotated every other oil change, 8 to 9k miles. Never had a problem till now.

As stated before I use Discount Tire which,apparently, use a relearn tool. If they said any thing about it I don't remember.

· Registered
59 Posts
Bought this 15 in 18, have the tires rotated every other oil change, 8 to 9k miles. Never had a problem till now.

As stated before I use Discount Tire which,apparently, use a relearn tool. If they said any thing about it I don't remember.
As mentioned by superdave that's most likely because the battery has died in that sensor. Your options are either replace the sensor which all 4 should be done, or if you can deal with it, wait until you install new tires and replace them then. But if one has gone the others are sure to follow.

I too use Discount tire sometimes and one time they did not perform the relearn procedure because my rears were switched (on a staggered setup), so I always redo it myself which takes a minute.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
"I too use Discount tire sometimes and one time they did not perform the relearn procedure because my rears were switched (on a staggered setup), so I always redo it myself which takes a minute. "

U rotate wheels? or relearn sensors? Or both? Have used Discount since they came to the Promese Land several years ago, have never had anything but Excellent Service & prices. Fact is, have taken vehicles, they've never seen, in for tire rotation, flats, etc.,and most of the time they don;t charge, if I have done business in the last couple years or so.

Read the story of the 30 year old,heavily in debt man with a family who started Discount back in the 70,s up in Michigan. Interesting.

· Registered
59 Posts
"I too use Discount tire sometimes and one time they did not perform the relearn procedure because my rears were switched (on a staggered setup), so I always redo it myself which takes a minute. "

U rotate wheels? or relearn sensors? Or both? Have used Discount since they came to the Promese Land several years ago, have never had anything but Excellent Service & prices. Fact is, have taken vehicles, they've never seen, in for tire rotation, flats, etc.,and most of the time they don;t charge, if I have done business in the last couple years or so.

Read the story of the 30 year old,heavily in debt man with a family who started Discount back in the 70,s up in Michigan. Interesting.
Use them for new tires and flat repairs. I do all rotations and summer/winter swaps and required relearn procedures myself.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now I got 2 tire sensors "out". First was the left front happened couple weeks ago. Yesterday the right rear is gone. So stopped by the brand new, just opened Discount tire about 5 miles from me. Still in the car and this young man came out of the office and ask if he could help me. Told him the tire monitor problems and ask if there was a charge to "relearn" the sensors. He said no and went to get the tool. Left front was bad battery, right front low battery, right rear bad sensor, left rear low battery. Ask him how much was the sensors. $60 bucks each.....am "assuming" installed, didn't ask him.

Thanked the young man and left.

Have already stated my thoughts about the sensors, no sense rehashing it

It'll be a "cold" day in another place before I have those sensors replaced.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good point. It's computer controlled but its not an emission problem so there's no code. Wonder how or if this system can be bypassed in the computer? Will do some research.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
Ive bought sensors on ebay for $40 i think it was. All 4.
And mom n pop tire shop charged $20 to install sensors. $5 per tire.

· Registered
59 Posts
That's why it's recommended to replace the sensors when you install new tires, that way your not paying for an extra mount and balance.

BTW, tire pressure monitor sensors were mandated in the Tread Act of 2000 which went into effect for model year 2008.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
"mandated in the Tread Act of 2000"

Highway speed in far West Texas was 85, that was a few years ago. Parts of Wyoming are 90 plus.

Some Washington, unelected bureaucrat issuing another government mandate. And these sensors are supposed to prevent blowouts, rollovers, deaths?? What a joke.

Just don't buy Chinese, Iranian, or Eskomo tires, and chances are they wont blow.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Also, my 01 Dodge 2500 diesel with 265/75/16 doesn't have sensors.

Back in 18 or was it 19 was pulling my 14k 5th. wheel down to my island, Mustang. This was in August, its 410 miles from my driveway to the Island. Tires on the 5th. are over 10 years old. I travel I 35 South to San Antone, turn left on I 37 to Corpus, about 50 miles outta San Antone had a blowout on the 5th. wheel, left front tire, took out the plumbing and part of the fender well, did some damage. Its 108 degrees in the shade and I'm trying to change this tire. Get down to the state park on the island on a Sunday, on Tuesday the stupid hurricane, wondering around out in the gulf, turns and heads straight for Port Aransas, its a category 4 due to hit Friday. That island is only 8 feet above sea level and its about to be 8 feet under water.

On Thursday we pull out and head West up I 37, the West bound shoulders of I37 are dedicated hurricane lanes, which means there is no stopping, parking, etc. on the shoulder. About 40 miles West outta Corpus I had another blowout, this time the right rear on the 5 th. wheel. I'm stopped on the shoulder trying to change the tire, highway patrol pulls up behind and demands the everything be moved off the shoulder I just got the stupid wheel jacked up, they didn't offer to help, just left. Got it finally changed.

What the point to all this garbage??

TMPS would not have prevented anything..

Tires on the trailor were 3 years outta date, fact is they looked so new they still had the "teats" on them, tread looked brand new.

What couldn't be seen was the "dry" rot inside. Discount Tire will not touch a tire over 7,or 8 years old.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts