Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several days ago there appeared on my dash a nasty little note, which read; Service the TMPS ...also,down on the tach dial a flashing emblem of a tire. The driver's front tire pressure reading was gone,But, a couple days later it came back....must of healed it self........BUT, a couple days later gone again.

So, dutifully, I drag out the mini New York telephone book size owner's book and look up TMPS. There is a "plethora" of info.
Bottom line, the stupid thing needs to be "relearned", retaught, re educated, whatever, which takes a tool..........naturally.

There's sensors in this vehicle along with TMPS,,SS along with other "stuff" that, in my "extremely" humble opinion, are Completely Unnecessary.

While I'm Venting, do U know what Briggs & Stratton have done, especially on their VTwin engines???

They have connected the throttle cable to the governor. Now, everyone knows that is flat out wrong!! If a "Static Gov." setting isn't done after every carb. removal,chances are you'll blow the engine...Ain't that neat??

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
306 Posts
Did you replace the TPMS sensors? The battery in them only last 5-6 years. The best time to replace them is when you purchase new tires. I forgot to tell the tire shop to replace them, one cold day in last winter I got the same message and one tire shown dashes on the DIC. Once the weather got warm again the message disappeared. I am just waiting for it to die again before I replace them all.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Or just buy a tire gauge and check it once a week. Much cheaper and just as accurate
X2 - just like we've done for the past 100 years!

I haven't bothered to buy the tool, so when I rotate the tires, the pressures shown aren't for the correct tire anymore, except for every 4th rotation. If the notification comes up (which it usually does every autumn) I check all the tires.

Seems if you don't have the tool either, you have been unwittingly doing the same (unless you don't bother to rotate your tires!).

You can actually get the tool for about the same price as a good tire pressure gauge, but you should have a gauge anyway!!

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
TPMS tool is worth the few bucks. Especially if wife or others drive the vehicle so they know what tire is acting up.
I've had family stories about I'm putting air in the tire but the lights not going out. Because they are airing up the wrong tire.
In the vehicles I maintain when new tires go on so do new sensors.
The Explorer rollover fiasco is the source of mandated TPMS. Average wheel jockey ignoring tire pressures never mind any other vehicle maintenance is the new normal.
Plus, one dash light constantly lit leads to all the others being lit up, as long as it starts and goes keep on trucking.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had this vehicle since 18. I trade with Discount Tire, which are the best in my op. They always asked if there are sensors on the tires. If so, they "relearn" them. Never had a problem.

Have always used a tire gauge, generally a Campbell up until several years ago. Bought a Accutire digital, which was rated #1 by Consumer Report. Has done a fine job. In fact the gauge and the sensors usually "agree" right to the pound.

I don't even know where these sensors are. And they are battery operated?

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
306 Posts
The battery is sealed inside the casing. I don't think you can replace the battery. If it is doable I don't think the tire shop would do that, a battery is only a buck or two, the sensor about $40 each (cheaper from Amazon, more from the dealership) why would they not make more money by replacing the whole unit? If they are willing and the battery is replaceable it may cost you more for them to replace the battery. We are living in a disposable society!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The first gens, BEFORE THE REFRESH, you could relearn without the tool. After the refresh, you need the tool. Thanks, GM!!!

Since I could do my 2011 without the tool, I did. But I also learned something. There's some kind of centrifugal actuated switch on the sensor that activates the sensor. Leave your car parked for awhile and the sensor goes to sleep. I discovered this when I tried to relearn my tires after the car had sat for some time. I couldn't get it to relearn. I drove around the block and it relearned right away. I'd guess that without this switch, your battery wouldn't last very long.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What gen is my 15?

The first time that little note appeared on the dash it went away after a few days and the driver's front tire pressure reappeared. Then, after a few days, the little note came back and no pressure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as long as these sensors are not "computer controlled" to the extent that they set a code,which they don't, am going to leave well enuf alone IE: not mess with them. If they fail,they fail.

Appreciate everyone that posted, there's some smart people on this forum.......sometimes wish I was one of them.............learned along time ago,its not what U know, its who U know, that knows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased 4 tires for an 07 Equinox in June of 2022. I had previously purchased new TPMS sensors from Ebay. The old ones still worked but they were original so I decided to replace them. I had the tire shop install them and was told that they would probably not work. Their equipment could not program my aftermarket sensors. I had them put them in anyway. Sure enough I had a service TPMS message. I already had a TPMS programming tool I had purchased on Amazon for under $20. I went home and looked on Youtube and had them programmed in about 10 minutes. I couldn't believe that a professional tire installer could not program them.

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
306 Posts
Don't take the book by the cover. I had a flat and took it to a tire shop. They fixed it and charged me re-programing fee for the sensor. I talked to another shop and they told me there is no need to do a relearn. I wrote to the head office and finally got my money back. Your shop may try to convince you the aftermarket won't work so you can return and buy a new set from them.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
If a tire comes off for a repair and goes back onto the same wheel position it does not have to be reprogrammed. Sensor is coded for that wheel position.
Always purchase new sensors from a reputable, high-volume seller. I've had zero issues from RA with AC ones. I made that mistake once, remount and balancing cost to change out short lived cheaper ones in versus buying the AC ones was not worth the savings. Even if new ones are on the shelf, they still draw on their battery.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If a tire comes off for a repair and goes back onto the same wheel position it does not have to be reprogrammed. Sensor is coded for that wheel position.
Always purchase new sensors from a reputable, high-volume seller. I've had zero issues from RA with AC ones. I made that mistake once, remount and balancing cost to change out short lived cheaper ones in versus buying the AC ones was not worth the savings. Even if new ones are on the shelf, they still draw on their battery.
My experience (see post #11) is they don't draw on the battery on the shelf (other than normal aging like any battery on a shefl). But I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
My experience (see post #11) is they don't draw on the battery on the shelf (other than normal aging like any battery on a shefl). But I could be wrong.
I'm not 100% either but I've never seen one with a ''pull out strip'' to activate battery contact blocker like some toys or battery powered gadget.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts