Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am a new member and have owned my 2014 Traverse for a little over a year now. Bought straight out from a family who only used it for family trips, so it is high miles... Almost to 200k now. But this is honestly the best vehicle Ive owned so far.
Its getting to the point where I am starting to need work done though... So my first question is about transmission fluid. I was told by one garage that since its such high miles, I dont even need to worry about this because it would completely screw my tranny up if i try to change the fluid now. Is this true?

Also, i just replaced my upper control arms and am thinking I need to replace power steering pump. It is impossible to turn the wheel while brake is on or car is parked. Which makes it so hard to get out of parking spaces, especially in smaller parking lots. Hitting accelerator makes turning the wheel easier, but I hear the whining sound loud and clear.

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
79 Posts
I am not sure if the previous owner serviced the transmission fluid. If they kept regular maintenance intervals, then I would say you could probably change it without issue. If they have not, then the shop may be correct. I'll let others weigh in on this.

The power steering pump could be whining if it is low on fluid. Check the lines from the pump to the steering rack and see if they look like fluid is leaking anywhere along them. Also check the rack itself to see if there is fluid leaking from the ends, where the boots are. If you see leaking at the rack ends, then probably need to replace both pump and rack. If only minor leaking on hoses etc., then I would fill the reservoir to full mark and see if that helps. If it helps, then see how long it takes for the fluid to drop low again. May not need to replace it yet if it takes a long time to leak to low level.

That is my two cents worth,
RandyMan

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would go ahead and just do a drain/refill of the trans fluid (not any sort of flush). There are some threads in here on how to do it but essentially it is easier than even an oil change. You will replace about half the fluid in the process, you may want to repeat again in a few months. In my humble opinion and experience, you are not risking transmission issues by doing that. It may help shift quality.

The origin of that sort of wive's tale, is people wouldn't touch trans fluid for years, and then go get a "flush" from a shop, which combined with new fluid would break loose deposits and sludge and get it stuck in the valve body and cause the trans to fail. Personally my opinion is that 1) it probably happened but not near as often as suggested 2) the trans's in question were likely poorly maintained and on their last legs, and the owner thought a fluid flush might save it.

Reactions: RandyMan

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a car with over 160k on it. Pulled the engine and trans out together. The fluid that came out of the transmission was black. Cleaned pan and changed filter and fluid. Transmission never had an issue

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
though there is no pan on the traverse transmission.
Filter.. not user serviceable- unless you take out the transmission and split it in half, then remove a bunch of stuff from one of the halves, then you can get to the filter.
Just easier to try to keep the filter clean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts