Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Traverse AWD 1LT w/ towing pkg
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had success bleeding the p/s system in theirs on there own?
if so how ... i have not attempted GM's way.. i was thinking of using a replacement cap. drilling a hold using epoxy to seal a nipple to connect my vacuum pump to and going that route. may work may not. mine has 100k on it. and is began to become hard to steer at low speed out of nowhere. it does not seem to be converted to dex/merc. no tag tho the fluid doesnt look pretty... no leaks.
any help ideas...i appreciate, i know this has been beat to death here. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not assuming you know or don't know how to work on cars. This is what I did for my vehicle and for others to read.

Okay.. This is what you want to do to try to save the pump. Use a hand pump, any squirt bottle head, anything to get the fluid out of the reservoir. Raise the front end, squirt the fluid out and refill with Devtron IV, turn the wheel left and right a few times with the car on, squirt more fluid out again, repeat until your satisfied. Then use "Lucas Oil Transmission Fix"..1/3 bottle mixed with some Dextron.. It will thicken up the fluid up and help the bearings inside the pump/rack. They started using transmission fluid in 2012.5 and up so it should be the Dextron.

My pump was GRINDING and SCREAMING for the second time now, metal shavings inside everything and I wasn't going to waste my time bothering with replacing my rack/pump/lines. Flushed it 7 times, used the Lucas and I haven't had issues for over a year now. I abuse the living **** out of my motor screaming redline and since the cat is right next to the pump I constantly overheat my fluid and burn it up. The Lucas helps with burning too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sherman94, i am actually a ford technician and have now moved into Ford quality so i know my way around cars well, .. worked on fords my whole life, and only have owned GM products.. which never really had p/s issues on anything until i got my traverse which i love ..
i will give your fix a try it cannot hurt it. and im not really in the mood to replace the pump or gear.
now ford ive seen my share of issues with p/s pumps gears/racks .. i really appreciate your advice!!!!
and if i can offer any advice i will!!!!
ill give it a shot and post updates asap.
many thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im the same way lol.. i push that thing pretty hard too.. that 3.6 is no slouch !!!! especially with how heavy these are i was very impressed when i first drove it. plenty of power and i have the towing package... i just cant tow my boat right now with the steering like that you know.
ill give it a try tomorrow and report back

·
Registered
17 Posts
This exhaust cooks the pumps. If you have to remove the pump, from my experience on mine I was able to fish the pump through the hole where the aluminum fuel lines run up under the passenger seat with the pully still attached. You may have to bend them a tiny bit but nothing major. Turned a 15 hour book time into 1 hour lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea im not a fan of that design, thanks for the heads up!!!! and awesome job on kicking that book times A##!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fluid does look like crap, ive seen worse but im hoping the flush trick you are doing solves it.. sounds promising for sure

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd also incorporate a power steering fluid suck and fill with a full synthetic DexVI at each oil change. Good for 6 or so oz. of fresh fluid and slowly replacing the existing fluid with a full synthetic helps with heat resistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not assuming you know or don't know how to work on cars. This is what I did for my vehicle and for others to read.

Okay.. This is what you want to do to try to save the pump. Use a hand pump, any squirt bottle head, anything to get the fluid out of the reservoir. Raise the front end, squirt the fluid out and refill with Devtron IV, turn the wheel left and right a few times with the car on, squirt more fluid out again, repeat until your satisfied. Then use "Lucas Oil Transmission Fix"..1/3 bottle mixed with some Dextron.. It will thicken up the fluid up and help the bearings inside the pump/rack. They started using transmission fluid in 2012.5 and up so it should be the Dextron.

My pump was GRINDING and SCREAMING for the second time now, metal shavings inside everything and I wasn't going to waste my time bothering with replacing my rack/pump/lines. Flushed it 7 times, used the Lucas and I haven't had issues for over a year now. I abuse the living **** out of my motor screaming redline and since the cat is right next to the pump I constantly overheat my fluid and burn it up. The Lucas helps with burning too.
When you say 1/3 of a bottle, is that 1/3 of the 12 oz. bottle or 1/3 of the 24 oz. bottle? Thanks in advance. My Buick Enclave is starting to give hard steering.
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts