Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2014 CPO Traverse LT in September of last year. When I purchased the vehicle it had 33k miles on it. Now 9 months later I have a leak in my rear evaporator core. I contacted Chevrolet Customer Care to see if I could get cost assistance. Assistance was denied because I'm the second owner of the vehicle? So at 54k miles I now have a vehicle with no AC. I did get a estimate to repair this from the dealership. $1225!!! I called a local reputable repair shop and they will fix it for a third of the price. I was wondering if lots of other people are experiencing the same problems?

· Registered
12,208 Posts
Your issues is most likely related to this.

Low Air Conditioning Refrigerant Charge
August 26, 2015

Some 2013-2016 Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia models may have warm air conditioning. A check of the refrigerant level may reveal a very low/empty charge. After performing normal diagnostics, if the source of the refrigerant leak is not found, check for a small refrigerant leak at the rear auxiliary air conditioning evaporator.

Engineering has determined that dust from the blower motor brush on the evaporator may have some copper particles in it, which causes accelerated corrosion to the evaporator. The copper particles are coming from the blower motor during the motor break-in period, so the motor does not need to be replaced.

Remove the rear auxiliary blower control module and insert the GE 50078 Electronic Leak Detector to test for a leak. If a leak is found, replace the rear evaporator.

Also remove the rear blower motor and blow the fan and blower cage (Fig. 9) with compressed air to remove any copper particles and dust that could be redeposited on the new evaporator. This will prevent the possibility of a subsequent failure of the evaporator from the copper dust remaining on the blower fan cage.

· Registered
1,705 Posts
If this design defect was a safety related issue it would have been recalled long ago. Turns out it is a big moneymaker for GM and should have been corrected or at least these repairs heavily discounted/shared cost like they did with the corroded brake lines on their earlier SUVs/ trucks.

What puzzles me is why they don't all fail with this defect. My '15 was bulletproof except for this problem.....was beginning to take a lot longer to cool down and of course would have crapped out after the 3/36 expired. What pi$$ed me off is I knew of this problem early on and limited use of the rear A/C....maybe twice for passengers and twice a month for frozen foods transported in the rear. Could be the problem was aggravated by my babying it and not using it 100% of the time .....infrequent use may have allowed the particles to sit longer on the core to electrolytically eat pinholes in the evaporator instead of the condensate from prolonged use washing them off the coils before they could eat through.

Was one of the reasons for my decision to trade for an '18 that uses digital brushless motors that will not shed copper particles.....looked on it as another $1000+ off the sales price that I would have spent repairing the '15.

GM knew of this problem during gen1 production yet continued to install brush motors, instead of installing improved version (as well as their old tech Nav head with buttons) in later production of the series all the way up to the '18 intro.

· Registered
118 Posts
Your issues is most likely related to this.

August 26, 2015

Some 2013-2016 Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia models may have warm air conditioning. A check of the refrigerant level may reveal a very low/empty charge. After performing normal diagnostics, if the source of the refrigerant leak is not found, check for a small refrigerant leak at the rear auxiliary air conditioning evaporator.

Engineering has determined that dust from the blower motor brush on the evaporator may have some copper particles in it, which causes accelerated corrosion to the evaporator. The copper particles are coming from the blower motor during the motor break-in period, so the motor does not need to be replaced.

Remove the rear auxiliary blower control module and insert the GE 50078 Electronic Leak Detector to test for a leak. If a leak is found, replace the rear evaporator.

Also remove the rear blower motor and blow the fan and blower cage (Fig. 9) with compressed air to remove any copper particles and dust that could be redeposited on the new evaporator. This will prevent the possibility of a subsequent failure of the evaporator from the copper dust remaining on the blower fan cage.

:thumb: I just had this repair done on my 2014, but since the rear fan was starting to get loud my dealer replaced the fan as well.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes, same thing on my 2013 Traverse with 51k miles. Dealer wants $1100 for Rear evaporator. On mine, the Driver side air is still kind of cold, but warmer on passenger side and blows outside warm air in back. Disappointing.

· Registered
1,705 Posts
Yes, same thing on my 2013 Traverse with 51k miles. Dealer wants $1100 for Rear evaporator. On mine, the Driver side air is still kind of cold, but warmer on passenger side and blows outside warm air in back. Disappointing.

As long as there is still residual gas in the system there shouldn't be any air or water vapor that has entered the system to increase pressure out-of-limit on the high side. Plenty of replacement cans, even some with built in low side pressure gauges on the market for a $20 recharge for those with the expertise and willingness to take the risk to do it themselves. Unlike the older R22/R12 systems, the fittings on the new 134a systems are idiot proof to prevent confusion of high and low side access ports. If the leak is slow enough you can get by the few months you'll need the A/C

before the next Summer recharge.....maybe even keep it going that way on life support long enough to eventually trade with a "functional" A/C unit.

Gov't regulations require that any leaking systems be evacuated, the leak found and repaired, and only then either the scavenged charge plus any top off be refilled into the system which is included in the cost. Then you are looking at a lot of BUCK$!

· Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2015 Traverse LTZ. Last week while traveling out of state, the rear AC started blowing warm air. Even though I'm out of warranty, (70,000 miles), I took it to the nearest Chevy dealer. They told me the rear evaporator had a leak and while the part was on backorder, they would try to get me one. They ended up replacing the evaporator, the blower motor (which was working), two seals, a filter, freon, oil, etc. Total for parts and labor was about $1,400. I asked why the blower motor was replaced and was told because they are responsible for ruining the evaporator. I felt certain I was getting screwed but I was out of state and desperate to get it fixed, (it was 96 degrees outside at the time).

Now that I am home and have time to research the matter, I see all the info above in this forum. Pretty much as I suspected. I wonder though, was there a Technical Service Bulletin about this problem? Also, when I called Chevy dealers this morning to see what they are charging for the evaporator, I was told by two separate parts people that the filters come with the evaporator and should not have been charged additionally. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

· Registered
1,705 Posts
I own a 2015 Traverse LTZ. Last week while traveling out of state, the rear AC started blowing warm air. Even though I'm out of warranty, (70,000 miles), I took it to the nearest Chevy dealer. They told me the rear evaporator had a leak and while the part was on backorder, they would try to get me one. They ended up replacing the evaporator, the blower motor (which was working), two seals, a filter, freon, oil, etc. Total for parts and labor was about $1,400. I asked why the blower motor was replaced and was told because they are responsible for ruining the evaporator. I felt certain I was getting screwed but I was out of state and desperate to get it fixed, (it was 96 degrees outside at the time).

Now that I am home and have time to research the matter, I see all the info above in this forum. Pretty much as I suspected. I wonder though, was there a Technical Service Bulletin about this problem? Also, when I called Chevy dealers this morning to see what they are charging for the evaporator, I was told by two separate parts people that the filters come with the evaporator and should not have been charged additionally. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Sure hope they didn't replace it with the same model blower motor.....problem is during the break in period where it sheds copper particles causing pinholes in the evaporator. Should have used the old motor because it has already shed the particles.....all that was necessary as per the bulletin was to clean off the old motor, otherwise the new motor will crap out the new evaporator just as the original one did.

This is a time bomb in the system and the one in my '15 was getting ready to blow right after the 3/36 expired. New '18+ redesigns are digital and not interchangeable. My parts guy said a new filter is included with evaporator kit..........even if included they probably charged for the install as if it was a separate item. Once had a crook dealer try to charge $600 for a $35 new timing belt install while they were also doing a $1250 valve job that required belt removal anyway...... using their book for time and labor as if it was a separate job. Dealership manager straightened it out, but they still clipped me $15 for labor on the new belt install......guess the extra time and labor charge was for the mechanic walking his a$$ over to the parts department and then opening the packaging.

Too bad the filter is not between the motor and the evaporator.........old design is a GM cash cow.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
August 26, 2015

· Registered
12,208 Posts
I guess a TSB, and not a recall.

the TSBs are more of - and FYI for techs to understand that this is an issue that has been coming up lately (at the time)- and is paid for by customer normally (if outside of bumper to bumper)

· Registered
1,705 Posts
So there was a Technical Service Bulletin?

Yes and No. If there was a tech bulletin owners might become aware, pulled the fan and clean the mess before it ate pinholes in the evaporator. Or worse for them clean the motor and coil under warranty before it caused damage. In stead of a tech bulletin it was printed in their bi monthly mechanic techlink blog to their mechanics. By the time I found it, my '15 had the start of corrosion.

Info listed on page 4 of GM pub, Sandys Blog:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/GM_TechLink_16_Mid-August_2015.pdf

It specifically addresses cleaning and using the old motor. Seems a dirty old motor or new motor will throw dust again during break-in or you're back on the merry-go-round for future failure.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’m having same issues with our 2014 Traverse with 95k miles. Purchased car used last June and blower motor was replaced at time of purchase. AC recently started blowing hot on passenger side and rear of vehicle. Charged full with Freon 4 months ago and worked fine for about 2 months until issues appeared. I have heard that there is a “stop leak” additive you can use but wondering if viable solution. We live in the mountains and really only need AC for a few months during summer. Not really interested in playing dealer game based on previous posts and recurring problem.

· Registered
440 Posts
Cheap fix. "IF" the unit is still cooling IE: has freon in it.

Certified A/C Pro CERT325-6 Super Seal A/C Stop Leak Treatment (3 Ounces)

Had an evaporator core leak in my 01 Dodge 2500 diesel, put this stuff in about 3 years ago. Charge still holding.

Be careful , read & follow the instructions. This stuff will plug the service ports if not installed correctly.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Traverse and the exact same thing is happening with the air conditioning as everyone else has explained. This is the FOURTH time I have had this issue in 5 1/2 years that I've owned this vehicle. I had bought it brand new and at almost exactly one year, was the first time it happened. Under warranty so didn't have to pay. I figured just an unfortunate fluke. 2nd time still under warranty. The third time it happened I went in before the 12 month warranty was up to have it checked, so I wouldn't have to pay if it was going bad. Sure enough, it had to be replaced again. I am not on the 4th time having my AC go out! I do not have any warranty left and I am furious after reading everyone else claiming the same issue. Why is this not covered/recalled!? It should be illegal for them to get away with this! I am at a loss and not sure what to do at this point. I refuse to pay the $1200 to have this fixed knowing that it will be another year or 2 and it will go out again. Anyone have suggestions? Is there a forum out there of folks fighting this? Thank you to anyone who has a new path to fight.

· Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2014 CPO Traverse LT in September of last year. When I purchased the vehicle it had 33k miles on it. Now 9 months later I have a leak in my rear evaporator core. I contacted Chevrolet Customer Care to see if I could get cost assistance. Assistance was denied because I'm the second owner of the vehicle? So at 54k miles I now have a vehicle with no AC. I did get a estimate to repair this from the dealership. $1225!!! I called a local reputable repair shop and they will fix it for a third of the price. I was wondering if lots of other people are experiencing the same problems?
I just took our 2017 chevy traverse into a repair shop and they told us it would cost 1400 bucks to repair the rear evaporator leak. We bought the traverse used because our 2013 buick enclave--bought new--had the same exact problem. How is it that GM, that owns both--has the same exact problem and no one has fixed this? Is this a recall through the company? We were told by the repairman that he sees this part go out on these vehicles. No more GM products if this is the case.

· Registered
4,256 Posts
I just took our 2017 chevy traverse into a repair shop and they told us it would cost 1400 bucks to repair the rear evaporator leak. We bought the traverse used because our 2013 buick enclave--bought new--had the same exact problem. How is it that GM, that owns both--has the same exact problem and no one has fixed this? Is this a recall through the company? We were told by the repairman that he sees this part go out on these vehicles. No more GM products if this is the case.
CHARLIE: Read Post #12 very carefully, and make sure the tech blows out and re-uses the OLD fan motor, or you'll be right back where you started.

· Registered
2 Posts
If this design defect was a safety related issue it would have been recalled long ago. Turns out it is a big moneymaker for GM and should have been corrected or at least these repairs heavily discounted/shared cost like they did with the corroded brake lines on their earlier SUVs/ trucks.

What puzzles me is why they don't all fail with this defect. My '15 was bulletproof except for this problem.....was beginning to take a lot longer to cool down and of course would have crapped out after the 3/36 expired. What pi$$ed me off is I knew of this problem early on and limited use of the rear A/C....maybe twice for passengers and twice a month for frozen foods transported in the rear. Could be the problem was aggravated by my babying it and not using it 100% of the time .....infrequent use may have allowed the particles to sit longer on the core to electrolytically eat pinholes in the evaporator instead of the condensate from prolonged use washing them off the coils before they could eat through.

Was one of the reasons for my decision to trade for an '18 that uses digital brushless motors that will not shed copper particles.....looked on it as another $1000+ off the sales price that I would have spent repairing the '15.

GM knew of this problem during gen1 production yet continued to install brush motors, instead of installing improved version (as well as their old tech Nav head with buttons) in later production of the series all the way up to the '18 intro.
Because it's not a safety issue so they will not recall it we are on our own!!

· Registered
2 Posts
You got a good price mine was $1500

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.