Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to this forum, I have a 2013 Traverse LS. 142k miles, read that timing chains should've been replaced at 120k. No issues yet, though I would like to avoid a potential catastrophic engine failure.

- Do you have to remove the engine to replace the timing chain? Watched a few videos that did that but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have read that the engine does have to come out if chains are needed to be replaced. Do you have any codes or does the engine make a strange ticking noise? You might just want to make sure the oil is changed regularly and use good synthetic oil. And watch the level carefully. And don't follow the oil monitor system. Change every 4-5000 miles. Best chance for it to last.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Don't know where you got the 120K info. Nothing in my 2017 Owners Manual.

The oil passages were increased in 2013. If you know the oil change history and believe it's been changed around every 5K, I'd say you're OK. If you bought used and are concerned, I guess you can go for it.

But I can't recall anyone here with timing chain issues after MY 2012.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Timing chains are not considered a serviceable item like timing belts (Honda still uses them in their V6, for instance). Unless you are having codes indicative of a timing chain failure, your only obligation is high quality synthetic oil at reasonable intervals to keep the chain healthy and happy.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
yeah, dont know where you heard that.
Metal chains are not considered a replacement item unless they stretch.
The early models did have an issue of 'stretching' which was actually severe wear.
This was usually related to oil change intervals and oil levels.
As long as oil levels were kept up and oil changed on time- all would be ok.
For a while now- Ive said- check oil levels often.
These engines- tend to burn oil as they age. Its practically a given they will.
So- next time you change oil and filter... the next day after its sat overnight- check the oil level on the dipstick.
and from then on- check oil and add if necessary to keep it at that level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts