Traverse Forum banner

2013 traverse LS w/ 170K worth lookin at?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
Hey all. . . new here. My wife and I are looking for a large SUV and found a nice 2013 traverse in our price range, but it has 170K miles on it. I've done some research on them and from what I gather the earlier models had a lot of issues, but 2013+ has fixed a lot of the issues. The vehicle has maintenance records showing timely oil changes and has only had one owner. Would you consider buying a 2013 traverse with that many miles? Price is $5500 if that helps opinions at all. Thanks for any and all advice!

#2 · (Edited)
With 170k, My opinion is that is it a little high. What does KBB say? I just checked KBB, is it AWD? They say Good condition range is 6-9K, so, if it was well maintained, it is a decent value but you should always have a cushion for a repair bill, after all it does have 170k.
I sold my 2008 Outlook with 212K for $500 to a co-worker.
My neighbor has a Acadia Denali with 170k with carbon buildup on his valves, sounds bad when he starts it.

#4 ·
It's hard for 3 rows to fall below $5kish, there seems to be a market no matter condition or mileage at that price point.

I mean of course it's a risk and if major components go up you could spend a significant percentage of the vehicle's value, but your budget is what it is.

My recommendation would be to pay for a purchase inspection to give you a little more confidence and if you move forward try to set aside $100 or $200 per month in a separate account as an emergency fund. If everything goes well and you have no issues after years it will be a nice down payment on a newer vehicle.

Reactions: AlisoBob
#6 ·
Its one of those questions I wrestle with all the time.
Being a California car-- the body and all suspension pieces are rust free.
If I had a major failure.. would I spend say $8000 to get engine repaired/trans repaired and installed into an excellent body and be good.....
or spend $40,000 on a new car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.