Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined this group as I recently bought a 2012 Traverse with $150,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from says it just died on him one day and he replaced the ECM and cam and Crank sensors but still would not start. The car needed to be cleaned on the inside but looks perfect on the outside. The car set for 3 years before I bought it and for the purchase price of only $500.00, so I figured I would not get hurt on the deal. I found out that the starter was bad and after replacing it, the car started right up even with the three-year-old gas! It was not knocking but did run a bit rough and the oil needed to be changed. My friend that works at a lube center told me to put sea foam in the oil treatment in it, run it for a bit then change it. After putting in the sea foam and driving a couple of miles the engine developed a knock. I shut it down right away and drained the oil to find a bunch of "glitter" in the oil. I am in the process of pulling the engine right now to see how bad it is. I have researched my options and found the following information. If I go the most expensive route, I will be into the car for around $5000.00 + I would like to know from the other car owners in this forum do you think this car worth it?

option 1. I rebuild the engine myself for around $1,000.00
option 2. I buy a remanufactured with a one-year unlimited miles warranty. for $3200.00 (no core charge and includes shipping)
option 3. I buy a factory certified engine for $4300.00 with a $425.00 core charge. This one comes with a three-year 100,000-mile warranty. Includes shipping and core return.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
IF it were an LTZ (which it probably isn't) in good condition w/ 140,000 miles, Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $2,389 - $4,374 with a median of $3,382 trade-in value. Private party worth is $4,115 - $7,128, with a median $5,622.

An LT in good condition, Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $1,693 - $3,122 with a median of $2,408 trade-in value. Private party worth is $3,530 - $6,049, with a median $4,790.

An LS would be even less.

Your decision.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I think you're already too far in and should cut the project loose. At best, you could give the $1,000 self-rebuild a try and see if you get some miles out of it but the early Traverse wasn't exactly known to be a highly reliable vehicle. The odds you get the engine running to have the A/C, power steering or transmission go out on you are pretty high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies I see many of these on the internet with an asking price of $6000.00 plus dollars. This is the AWD LT model, so I wasn't sure if other Traverse owners were happy with this car as a daily driver. I may be able to fix cheaper by replacing the rod bearings and give it a go, I am going to pull the engine anyway and take a look at it. If too much damage, I may end up throwing it all in the trash. What's puzzling to me is why they want so much money for these engines on Ebay and they have 100,000 plus miles on them to me you are buying an engine that is most likely already worn out and needing to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the replies I see many of these on the internet with an asking price of $6000.00 plus dollars. This is the AWD LT model, so I wasn't sure if other Traverse owners were happy with this car as a daily driver. I may be able to fix cheaper by replacing the rod bearings and give it a go, I am going to pull the engine anyway and take a look at it. If too much damage, I may end up throwing it all in the trash. What's puzzling to me is why they want so much money for these engines on Ebay and they have 100,000 plus miles on them to me you are buying an engine that is most likely already worn out and needing to be rebuilt.
From your posts it sounds like you are a skilled mechanic. 95% of the general public couldn't rebuild their engine let alone change a tire.

It's always best to DIY.

They are correct above, 10 year old car may begin to fall apart at the seams just as you make it mechanically sound again. But, if you can't afford much else at the moment, getting it running right for $1K or $2K seems like a good wager.

Until the much-needed recession comes, we all have to bear these incredibly ignorant price hikes on everything across the board.

Good luck, brother...

Reactions: commissionermb

·
Registered
27 Posts
I, like many, was faced with what to do. On Chevy's website, I built a new Traverse to match my 2011 LTZ AWD Traverse and realized that I would have to get the High Country Trim just to match what I currently have. So, do I spend $55K+ or $9K? I do most of the repairs myself. However, engine and transmission replacement is out of my league. Dropping a motor after 198,695 miles was the cheapest and most reliable route that I could take. The many things we use it for and the cost to buy new made the decision easy. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I, like many, was faced with what to do. On Chevy's website, I built a new Traverse to match my 2011 LTZ AWD Traverse and realized that I would have to get the High Country Trim just to match what I currently have. So, do I spend $55K+ or $9K? I do most of the repairs myself. However, engine and transmission replacement is out of my league. Dropping a motor after 198,695 miles was the cheapest and most reliable route that I could take. The many things we use it for and the cost to buy new made the decision easy. Good Luck
That has been my consideration as well, the car still looks new from the outside and with a little TLC will look good on the inside. I do have the means and ability to do the work myself and have successfully rebuilt several engines and heads.. 327 Chevy, 390 Ford, 400 Ford, 289 Ford, 383 Dodge, 318 Dodge. Once I pull the engine and evaluate I will be able to make a better informed decision on what I should do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts