Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this traverse thinking it needed the timing done judging from the noise it was making. I dropped the engine and found this, can anyone tell me what they think this might be? It clogged the lifters and was ticking as a result. It feels like sand almost but bigger and will crunch up..

Attachments

· Registered
2019 Traverse 1LT
28 Posts
Jrdemell, I NEVER saw anything like that in oil of any part of an engine. You can send it out to be analyized, but the bigger question is: Is it in all of your oil galleries and what is it doing to the bottom end? Did you pull any of the bearing caps to see if it is there, and what it's done? Is it in the oil pan? I would assume it's throughout the entire engine. My best guess is it is some type of additive, possibly to stop a bad leak like a head gasket. Also as rbarrios said. "Sugar?". Honestly, off hand, I have no idea. I wish I could give you a better answer, but if you do find out what it is, please post it..

Jack

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the whole valve train out and yes it was in there, bottom end to oil pan was full of it. I cleaned it all out by taking everything apart. I will be putting the engine back in this weekend. I'll update you soon.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I finally have an update. I cleaned it out while apart with wd40, seafoam, air and a vacuum lol. Runs good! Still have no idea what that stuff was or is. I ended up having to pull that engine twice as the first time I put it back in there ended up being a bad cam phaser and it was ticking bad. All is good now.

· Registered
2019 Traverse 1LT
28 Posts
Great news and good luck. Bummer about the Cam Phaser!! Don't you just love doing a job - or most of it, twice??? The important thing is you got all that "stuff" out of the engine before it did any worse damage. Thanks for your update!!

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts