Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 2012 chevy traverse with what appears to be having torque converter engagement and disengagement problems
from 4th gear on. it has a flair up on the 4-5 shift , also a faster than normal 5-6 shift with an occasional chug depending on throttle position .
At 60mph the tac fluctuates in lock up 1600 to 18-1900 RPM bounce .
I can command the TCC solenoid on with scan tool, and at 55 , 60 ,65 it doesnt appear to have torque converter slip.
It has no engine DTC’S , NO MISFIRES , NO Transmision Dtc’s , I’ve changed the dex6 ATF 4 times now which did improve the shift delay leading up to the above.
Valve body ? THCM?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best way to know if it's a torque clutch slip is if you noticed speed fluctuations on the speedometer. Engine RPMs are not as accurate of an indicator of that. I had that issue with more torque converter. The fluctuations appeared an speedometer. If it showing up as RPMs then it may be a different issue all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I drove the car again last night and the speedo doesn't fluctuate. just the tac and you can feel it surge / slip ? as it feels like a misfire at times , it all depends on throttle input on how its going to react. Also again I actuated the TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid to on and it stays locked 1 to 1 as it should , no sign of slip on tac or feel. I'm going to try this evening to record the transmission data .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have a scan tool that has a misfire counter? Like an Autel? I've seen misfires occur and be counted but not trip a PO3xx code. Without looking at the data it's a bit tricky. My guess is that your mis fire and trans flare aren't related. I think the misfire is either faulty plugs or dirty intake valves. I'd give those a look if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a scan tool that has a misfire counter? Like an Autel? I've seen misfires occur and be counted but not trip a PO3xx code. Without looking at the data it's a bit tricky. My guess is that your mis fire and trans flare aren't related. I think the misfire is either faulty plugs or dirty intake valves. I'd give those a look if you haven't yet.
. I have a snap on apollo d9 scanner. I will pull up misfire data & record it on a road trip later on this eve.& pull one of the front plugs & check gap FYI I just put timing chain kit in about a 1000 miles ago. bought it used not knowing of any transmission issues other than it needed timing chains...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aww. I hate to say. But I have a occasional count on number 1 for a misfire. . Which Ill later check spark plugs and boots . Im not totally convinced this misfire will fix issue but I know this is where I need to start
Font Road surface Asphalt Handwriting Commemorative plaque

Water Font Line Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Font Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Hood

Wood Font Gas Gadget Audio equipment

Font Wood Handwriting Signage Glass

Water Font Vehicle Gas Motor vehicle

Font Motor vehicle Space Glass Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
149 Posts
Definitely a good place to start. Keep in mind as well, it may not be spark related. With Direct Injection, it could be dirty intake valves that aren't always sealing due to carbon buildup. You could swap coils with the next cylinder over to see if it follows. That could indicate if it's a coil at least. Either scenario makes sense that it does it when lockup occurs as that's when it's under the most load

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely a good place to start. Keep in mind as well, it may not be spark related. With Direct Injection, it could be dirty intake valves that aren't always sealing due to carbon buildup. You could swap coils with the next cylinder over to see if it follows. That could indicate if it's a coil at least. Either scenario makes sense that it does it when lockup occurs as that's when it's under the most load
[/QUOTE
Well i finally got around to replacing the no#1 plug and coil. and put approx. 200 miles on over the weekend. still shows a slight #1 misfire sometimes more noticeable when going up hill @ low RPM and light throttle 25%-40% applied . my short term fuel is with in 10% of 0 mostly taking away fuel -4 ish .
I'm wondering if my next step is to try a induction and fuel treatment .. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts