Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 traverse has 98,000 miles. We purchased it used with 91k miles and ever since we got it there has been intermittent, what feels like, misfires when accelerating particularly when it is going up inclines and when it is up shifting after a down shift. It also does it when it is in cruise. It is most noticeable between 60 and 70 there is no check engine light but the misfires seam to be getting more frequent. It runs great between those misfires and idles perfectly. I have come to the conclusion (had a mechanic ride with me) that I may need some new spark plugs but I keep reading that the Check Engine light would indicate that need, I am also curious if it might be best just to change the spark plugs and coils all at once. Considering the extra labor involved if it needs to be done twice. I am getting ready to order the parts so my brother can fix it this weekend but I want to be sure it is an accurate diagnosis.

please give me feedback from others with this issue

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
the 2009s are notorious for what many thought was a slipping trans.
especially at speed- going up hills.
Turns out it was misfires that did not trigger CEL.
For those- the fix was to change the COILS.
they used BOSCH coils-- which were problematic.

So they change to updated parts... and while in there also change the plugs- and issue is corrected.
2010 went to Denso coils- and this issue all but went away.

So in your case- it may indeed be the plugs or coils.

Since youre at 98,000 it is indeed time to change out the plugs.
Since youre in there-- may as well change the coils too.

I changed my plugs at 100,000 (simply because of mileage--- I had no issues).
I left in the coils... and still going at 129,000.

actually removing the intake to get at the coils- is not that hard. So up to you if you want to buy 6 new coils.
Coil failures is not something that is chronic on these vehicles (2010 +) It happens-- but 'rare'.

Your misfires may also be related to carbon buildup/ sticky valves due to carbon.

the other thing you may want to do, and several of us have tried it- (I just did it 1,000 miles ago)...
is to use CRC intake valve cleaner. (the other option is to use SEAFOAM).
I went with CRC because it made no smoke.
Seafoam tends to make big white clouds of smoke.

CRC is easy to do--- spraying it into the throttle body- with engine running at 2000 RPMs.
and its only $12 or so.

Thats what I would do......

Clean the throttle body
Clean the air tube of any oil buildup. (if there is-- search for PCV mod) on here
CRC intake cleaner.
Clean MAF

replace plugs
possibly replace coils.
replace air filter if needed.

the spray cleaners--
throttle body- $5 (good for many uses)
MAF- $15 (good for many uses)
Intake cleaner- $12 (1 can per use).

·
Registered
16 Posts
the 2009s are notorious for what many thought was a slipping trans.
especially at speed- going up hills.
Turns out it was misfires that did not trigger CEL.
For those- the fix was to change the COILS.
they used BOSCH coils-- which were problematic.

So they change to updated parts... and while in there also change the plugs- and issue is corrected.
2010 went to Denso coils- and this issue all but went away.

actually removing the intake to get at the coils- is not that hard. So up to you if you want to buy 6 new coils.
Coil failures is not something that is chronic on these vehicles (2010 +) It happens-- but 'rare'.

Your misfires may also be related to carbon buildup/ sticky valves due to carbon.

the other thing you may want to do, and several of us have tried it- (I just did it 1,000 miles ago)...
is to use CRC intake valve cleaner. (the other option is to use SEAFOAM).
I went with CRC because it made no smoke.
Seafoam tends to make big white clouds of smoke.

CRC is easy to do--- spraying it into the throttle body- with engine running at 2000 RPMs.
and its only $12 or so.

Clean the throttle body
Clean the air tube of any oil buildup. (if there is-- search for PCV mod) on here
CRC intake cleaner.
Clean MAF

replace plugs
possibly replace coils.
replace air filter if needed.
This appears to be the exact issue I am having as well. Seems sluggish at highway speeds.
Do you have a video of how to do the throttle body cleaning and the changing of the coils?

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are several videos on YouTube. Changing plugs and coils is not hard but tedious. The intake manifold needs to come off to get to the rear three plugs and coils. So, you’d need six plugs, six coils and a set of intake gaskets. When you remove the intake manifold, the throttle body comes with it, and easy to clean when removed. A couple hours later, and no more misfires. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At rock auto.com, gaskets are $15, plugs are $3 each and coils are about $30 each. So $225 gets the job done for another 100,000 miles....not bad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replaced the Spark Plugs at the local dealer's shop.
It seemed to help but wasn't sure. But then all of a sudden I was getting a random misfires code. I took it back in and they found that the battery was in bad shape.
Once the battery was then replaced, I haven't had any sluggish travel issues any longer.
I have a feeling the big culprit was the battery all along.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
getting ready to change the plugs and packs on mine. 2012 bought used with 107k on the clock. Stutters around 2k rpms on the high way- 60-70 mph, same as everybody else. Early reading on this had me thinking i was replacing a transmission. Car runs great, gets us(6) into the mountains camping, etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Always a good idea to use a multimeter to check the resistance of the spark plug and coil wires that can develop problems as they age. If I was going to the trouble to replace the spark plugs I would replace the wires at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts